What do you think? Good deal?

Where is it tied down with all of those Atlas heavies in the background?? LOL...

Yes, if that is what you want. They probably did a thorough job refurbishing it. Are 152s still manufactured?

$116,000 has got to be a typo.....

Probably not. AOPA refuses to publish real numbers for their “better than new” and refurbished giveaway airplanes, but it is still quite telling that they can dump over $100,000 into a 152 and still come out $400K better off than buying a new airplane from one of their advertisers to give away. LOL.

You don’t see “free NEW airplane” giveaways in the magazine...

It's a 152 with steam gauges and an ugly paint job! Hard to imagine someone would dump that kind of money into it knowing they have no hope in hell of ever recuperating it.

No matter how much money you throw at it, the airplane will still be a 152.

I love those little go-karts, but $116,000 is ludicrous IMO.

Only place it makes sense is a flight school who was otherwise going to spend big on a new Cessna anyway.

They could probably squeeze $100/hr out of a refurbished 152. It not being a clap-trap might be a draw to newer students.

No matter how much money you throw at it, the airplane will still be a 152.

I love those little go-karts, but $116,000 is ludicrous IMO.

Basically agree.

But it comes in well below most of the popular Light Sports out there, which are often $160k and up.

Not for me, but probably not “ludicrous” for at least one potential buyer.

If I remember correctly, I believe the "Reimagined" 152 basically comes out with a zero time airframe when done. Yes $100k for a 152 seems ridiculous, but not when compared to what other new aircraft are going for. A new 172 will set you back over $300k at this point.

Just what I was going to say. Yeah its a lot of money, but peanuts compared to any other new airplane. And it is a new airplane. Having flown one I can tell you its a nice feeling. Were I in the market I would definitely give this a look.

Used airworthy 152: 20k
Firewall forward like new overhaul on my O-360 including a new prop hub constant speed was only $30k. No way an O-200 was anywhere near this, but I'll give them a bone here: 30k
Interior and paint: 20k
Avionics: 20k

Total: 90k being generous in every area. Not worth $116k

Used airworthy 152: 20k
Firewall forward like new overhaul on my O-360 including a new prop hub constant speed was only $30k. No way an O-200 was anywhere near this, but I'll give them a bone here: 30k
Interior and paint: 20k
Avionics: 20k

Total: 90k being generous in every area. Not worth $116k

The part you are missing is the airframe overhaul. You are getting a zero-timed airframe out of the deal as well.

I just wish they came in a color other than yellow.

The part you are missing is the airframe overhaul. You are getting a zero-timed airframe out of the deal as well.

I missed the unicorn that doesn't exist. Cool.

It's still a repaired airframe, not "zero timed".

As for the value it doesn't matter how anybody here evaluates it. If two independent parties agree to a sale transaction on that plane that's what "it's worth" at that moment. Not a penny more or less.

It's not even a aerobat, though it is quite possibly the most expensive 150 in the world, looks like maybe a mid 30k airplane to me.

And then there is the guy who says "I want my grandchild to learn a 150/152 like I did and I'm going to buy him a nice one because I can. I want the best for that kid".

As for the value it doesn't matter how anybody here evaluates it. If two independent parties agree to a sale transaction on that plane that's what "it's worth" at that moment. Not a penny more or less.

Exactly, nobody is making anyone buy it. If I had $100k to burn, it wouldn't be my top choice either. But there is a market for some, just as there was for the $130k Cessna 162 and other new two seaters to the market. Its unfortunate, but that is just what "new" costs. Although to put it in perspective there are those willing to sell out $60-70k for the latest SUVs on the market too.

Exactly, nobody is making anyone buy it. If I had $100k to burn, it wouldn't be my top choice either. But there is a market for some, just as there was for the $130k Cessna 162 and other new two seaters to the market. Its unfortunate, but that is just what "new" costs. Although to put it in perspective there are those willing to sell out $60-70k for the latest SUVs on the market too.
You need to let Cessna know about that market you found for 162's.

Again, it's not a bad deal (I'm assuming you could offer them $90-100k and they'd take it) for a flight school who needs a primary trainer and doesn't want to spend $300k on a new 172.

If you are looking at this through the lens of private ownership, it's insane. But for a school who wants a basically new aircraft that looks and feels that way to students, it makes sense. Cheap to maintain, sips fuel, and you can still charge $110-115/hr for it. A busy school would come out way in the green on that deal.

Or they could go get a beat up, not refurbished 152 for $30k or 172 for $50k and have students not even want to get in it. Appearance of safety is a factor for a school even though we know better.

Last edited:
Again, it's not a bad deal for a flight school who needs a primary trainer and doesn't want to spend $300k on a new 172.

If you are looking at this through the lens of private ownership, it's insane. But for a school who wants a basically new aircraft that looks and feels that way to new students, it probably makes sense. Cheap to maintain, sips fuel, and you can still charge $100-110/hr for it.

Or just find 4 really nice 150s that have new paint, interior, low time engines etc for 25k each.

I don't think anyone who knows anything about airplanes would buy that thing for that price, maybe some Dubai type or someone with waaaay too much money that's needs to spend 100k stat and write it off somehow.

Or just find 4 really nice 150s that have new paint, interior, low time engines etc for 25k each.

I don't think anyone who knows anything about airplanes would buy that thing for that price, maybe some Dubai type or someone with waaaay too much money that's needs to spend 100k stat and write it off somehow.

Where are these new paint, new interior, low time, new avionics, G650 equipped-IFR certifie C150s for $25k? At least with a 152 you can almost fit two people in it lol...

I actually agree with you mostly but the same exact thing could be said about new 172s, yet schools buy them. Why? Because there's an allure to having new looking and well equipped airplanes. Many people off the street don't want to get into a '75 C172 with two tone seats and a throw up panel. When you are a busy school putting 80-100 hours a month on a bird, the initial cost of the airplane is much less of a factor.

Now me? I didn't care at all. I found the cheapest, airworthy Cherokee 140 in the area and did all my ratings in it up to CPL. But others want new looking.

(To clarify, I wasn't saying pay $116k for that plane. I'm assuming a school could get it for much less if they offered.)

Where are these new paint, new interior, low time, new avionics, G650 equipped-IFR certifie C150s for $25k? At least with a 152 you can almost fit two people in it lol...

I actually agree with you mostly but the same exact thing could be said about new 172s, yet schools buy them. Why? Because there's an allure to having new looking and well equipped airplanes. Many people off the street don't want to get into a '75 C172 with two tone seats and a throw up panel. When you are a busy school putting 80-100 hours a month on a bird, the initial cost of the airplane is much less of a factor.

Now me? I didn't care at all. I found the cheapest, airworthy Cherokee 140 in the area and did all my ratings in it up to CPL. But others want new looking.

(To clarify, I wasn't saying pay $116k for that plane. I'm assuming a school could get it for much less if they offered.)

I'm not going to go searching right now, but you see them from time to time in barnstormers and the like, there was a straight tail tailwheel conversion 150/150hp with LR tanks a while back for mid 20s I recall, VERY clean and nice plane.

As for blowing money on a G650 for a 150, meh, there are some out there, but why spend money like that on a plane that will never be a hard core IFR plane, besides with the dynon skyvoew coming out... ether way I'd take any certified IFR nav com GPS, the smaller and lighter the better, real talk all you're going to use it for is a super thin layer getting into a field or out, or on a short cross country with a couple puffs you don't want to have to circumnavigate, plus without a good autopilot and heated pitot it's not a serious single pilot IFR machine, and if you DO add all that stuff it's a good bit of weight in a plane where every pound matters.

Complete Iran,however it’s still a slow airplane with limited range and low payload.

I'm not going to go searching right now, but you see them from time to time in barnstormers and the like, there was a straight tail tailwheel conversion 150/150hp with LR tanks a while back for mid 20s I recall, VERY clean and nice plane.

And a run out engine.

Why are spins prohibited? I recall a rudder stop AD but I thought the repair was fairly inexpensive

Why are spins prohibited? I recall a rudder stop AD but I thought the repair was fairly inexpensive
The 152 can do spins assuming that the rudder AD is complied with.

...As for blowing money on a G650 for a 150, meh, there are some out there, but why spend money like that on a plane that will never be a hard core IFR plane...

To each their own I suppose. I remember seeing an ultralight at Oshkosh circa 1990 with a LORAN installed. I thought that was a pretty ambitious owner. :D

As a previous IFR cert 150 owner, with a near-zero-time engine, I'm telling you that $25k 150s w/IFR equipment and low engines are EVERYWHERE. Heck, $25k is too high, really.

As a previous IFR cert 150 owner, with a near-zero-time engine, I'm telling you that $25k 150s w/IFR equipment and low engines are EVERYWHERE. Heck, $25k is too high, really.

To be fair to my original post, there's a difference between a 150 with a VOR and a tail to nose refurbished 152 with a full G650 setup.

The major selling point of any refurbished aircraft for a flight school is obviously mostly presentation. Companies are doing Pipers as well.

Back