Advice

Caleb D.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Caleb D.
Hello all, new to the forums. Looking for some advice from experienced folks on something. I have been with the company I work for going on 15 years (the company has nothing to do with aviation), I am under 35 years old and am thinking about pursuing my commercial pilots license from scratch with the potential of staying on with my current company and retaining seniority, 401k, benefits etc...they have a fleet of 4 Learjet 75's. What are your thoughts on how long it might take to get commercial license/get rated for Learjet 75, cost and possible best routes to take? I am located in the Phoenix area and there seem to be several schools available. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Caleb

60k plus and 5 years or so, after CPL it'll be your normal job plus a rookie (low pay high hour) aviation job.

I'd guess they'll want like 2k TT, 1k PIC, 500 turbine and a ATP.

And ten pilots with those numbers or better will beat you to the job opening unless you’ve gotten them to guarantee you the job without mentioning it outside the company to anyone, even informally... and given you a mandatory date by which you’ll have them.

If it ain’t in writing, it ain’t.

Does your company need a pilot? Have they offered you a spot,you may be more valuable to them in your current position.

Hello all, new to the forums. Looking for some advice from experienced folks on something. I have been with the company I work for going on 15 years (the company has nothing to do with aviation), I am under 35 years old and am thinking about pursuing my commercial pilots license from scratch with the potential of staying on with my current company and retaining seniority, 401k, benefits etc...they have a fleet of 4 Learjet 75's. What are your thoughts on how long it might take to get commercial license/get rated for Learjet 75, cost and possible best routes to take? I am located in the Phoenix area and there seem to be several schools available. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Caleb

Call up your flight department and explain what you would like to do. Ask if you could have a tour and when on the tour talk about it. If they are too busy or do not to meet, you probably do not want to work there.

All power to you getting a CPL. But flying company's airplane while you have other job description doesn't sound like a good idea. May be you can moonlight somewhere else while keeping your day job

All power to you getting a CPL. But flying company's airplane while you have other job description doesn't sound like a good idea. May be you can moonlight somewhere else while keeping your day job

My main purpose for pursuing the CPL is to change the direction of my job description and the thinking that maybe I could remain with the same company while completely doing something different is very intriguing (if attainable).

Does your company need a pilot? Have they offered you a spot,you may be more valuable to them in your current position.

Currently, today, no they do not....but in 4-5 years there is retirement looming and my thinking is that my prior tenure in other positions within the company may mean something in the hiring decision if all other requirements are met.

Definitely do some networking with your company flight department. Things are going to get real interesting for folks like them very soon, IMHO. What was, may not be, and might benefit you.

Currently, today, no they do not....but in 4-5 years there is retirement looming and my thinking is that my prior tenure in other positions within the company may mean something in the hiring decision if all other requirements are met.

Does your current job role have anything at all to do with flying airplanes or managing them?

Not trying to be harsh, but unless you have photos of the boss screwing his secretary, or you're his best golfing buddy, or his kid... most companies will put a LITTLE credit toward you already being an employee when switching departments to something completely different, but they still have to compare your resume' for the job at hand vs. whatever they get from informal or formal other sources.

And I'd bet good money there's already a pilot hanging around trying to be as helpful as possible and available for vacation day schedule holes, who already has the hours or is close to it, or they're fully aircraft qualified and on the on-call list, already helping other scheduling problems, who'll have a LOT of right seat time in YOUR company's aircraft sitting next to the "next senior pilot after the old one retires". They'll be tapped on the shoulder before you are, if you're just going on "I worked for the company"...

Better crank up those networking skills... or buy a really long telephoto lens. LOL... :)

This isn't to discourage you from trying, but if you want to fly... go fly... spend the money from the day job on it... there's all sorts of people hiring in the corporate world if that's what tickles your fancy... and @James331 has hit the average on what you'll need to fly for most of them. The corporate gigs attract some of the retired 121 pilots who don't want to quit flying too, so starting numbers are higher in corporate still than in the regional airlines and some other commercial gigs... some of those folks are handing in resume's to your flight department with tens of thousands of hours of airliner / jet time on them and in their logbook.

Most companies large eniugh to have four jets will also have hiring policies to the effect that jobs won't be opened up to outside applicants unless no qualified current employees apply. So work on your qualifications and try to make some right seat flights with them. Can't hurt. But getting through CPL with enough hours to tackle a jet won't be quick or cheap.

Most companies large eniugh to have four jets will also have hiring policies to the effect that jobs won't be opened up to outside applicants unless no qualified current employees apply.

Which will be the pilots already on their stand-by list right now who're already on the payroll for four years from now when the oldest pilot retires... LOL...

Seriously, if he wants a flying job, he can have one in TWO years if he spends the cash... no point in waiting around for four to be in line behind the current stand-by crews. :)

Back