Leaving Oshkosh Late

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Has anyone ever stayed past Sunday? What's going on at that point? Are the showers and toilets available for a few days afterward?

That's a great question. I would assume they are available. I know for a fact they are available days before the show opens.

I’m sure the showers are still available. What probably won’t be available are services like food vendors.

By 9AM Monday morning the field will be an absolute ghost town compared to the days before. I doubt you will be alone and I am sure the shower facilities and a porta potty will be available but past that it will be empty.

I left on Monday the first time I flew the Eagle to Oshkosh. Holy crap it's a whole different world. Everything is being torn down - port-a-johns - everything. If you don't have a vehicle, you are going to have a lot of walking when the trams stop as well. There were about 2-3 tents still on the field on Monday when I left.

Thanks for the pireps. We might get a booth this year and when we've done it in the past it's been a very stressful afternoon trying to get out Sunday. So was thinking we might take our time packing Sunday and then depart Monday morning instead. Sounds like that could work.

The worst part about leaving late is Oshkosh turns into a normal Delta with lots and lots of aircraft departing.

I do like the idea of just watching the circus Sunday eve then leaving at a more leisurely pace Monday morning, if one’s schedule allows. I imagine length of flight, the weather, and a few other things come into play for a decision.

You could always supply yourself off the property if you need a snack or so.

I leave Monday morning. No NOTAM to contend with. Normal control tower airport operations. Showers and toilets still open. Only problem is breakfast.

I leave Monday as well. It's pretty much a ghost town. Many of the portable facilities disappear, but the permanent shower buildings remain as do a decent number of port-o-lets. You're pretty much on your own to get out to neara taxiway after that you just call ground control like a normal airport.

There aren't that many people departing Monday. The tower handles it pretty well with the normal procedures.

Showers and toilets still open. Only problem is breakfast.

I leave Monday as well. It's pretty much a ghost town. Many of the portable facilities disappear, but the permanent shower buildings remain as do a decent number of port-o-lets.

I had forgotten that some of the structures were permanent. So that's good info. I only have 45 minutes to fly, so watching the departures and unwinding from the week before leaving first thing Monday morning sounds like it might be a good plan.

Actually, what I do is I pack up all the camping gear early Sunday and then go spend the night in the Hilton. I get a nice hot shower, go to the volunteer dinner, go back to the hotel, get a good night's sleep, breakfast, and then take off.

Back