Let the 15 Year Old Boy Fly the 310

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
My oldest boy is starting to express interest in flying so I took him up and let him fly a bit. He has been flying with me since he was an infant but recently indicted he may want to get his licence.

At the end we went direct one of those rarely used (in my case at least) hold-in-lieu of procedure turns (there was no "T" on our side) and I let him fly it with me talking him through it.

Very cool!
He's fortunate to have a father who flies; nice to see him taking advantage of the opportunity that presents.

Hahaha when the A team gets in...bet they loved that
I have a close friend that controls there. She would have had a funny/witty comeback. Not so much with these guys. In the moment I was just trying to be humorous...apologies to them.

I will say that I've never denied anyone FF in my years of doing ATC and I can guarantee that if I ever do the frequency will be so busy it will hard to get a word in edge wise anyway. Didn't seem to be the case here but who knows...maybe they had other issues at hand that I don't know about?

Thanks guys!

He's fortunate to have a father who flies; nice to see him taking advantage of the opportunity that presents.
I agree. Growing up my dad had a 172 and was an Army Helo pilot, one uncle was the Chief Pilot for Coke and another uncle was an F15 driver. For whatever reason I didn't get interested in flying until I was 18 my first year of college. When I did, I was hooked and my dad was a tremendous resource I was fortunate to have. I haven't pushed Carson into it...just letting him experience it during his life and been patiently waiting/hoping he'd want in. Starting to look that way now. Time to order him a PPL ground kit I guess. :)

Thanks guys!

I agree. Growing up my dad had a 172 and was an Army Helo pilot, one uncle was the Chief Pilot for Coke and another uncle was an F15 driver. For whatever reason I didn't get interested in flying until I was 18 my first year of college. When I did, I was hooked and my dad was a tremendous resource I was fortunate to have. I haven't pushed Carson into it...just letting him experience it during his life and been patiently waiting/hoping he'd want in. Starting to look that way now. Time to order him a PPL ground kit I guess. :)

Dig out your old circular E6B. See what he says about that bit of ancient technology. :D

I'm the son of immigrants who couldn't rub two nickels together when they came here. No pilots in my family. Until I plunked down $20 for a fam flight in a 150 at a Cessna Pilot Center one summer morning. Once I had my PPL my kid brother decided he was going to show me how it's really done. Graduated top of his class, went on to fly McDonnell Douglas Hornets, retired to fly civilian and now spends his time aloft in a 787.
Me. I'm just trying to keep my Aztec out of the repair shop so I don't end up with just two nickels to rub together. :eek:

Nice video and super nice that your son is taking to flying :thumbsup:

Man, those fuel gauges bounce around a lot. It's been 40 years since I've flown a 310 but never noticed it before :)

Like I posted on YT, you have a great kid there. Keep him flying and another great job with the video... Keep’em coming...:goofy:

Nice video and super nice that your son is taking to flying :thumbsup:

Man, those fuel gauges bounce around a lot. It's been 40 years since I've flown a 310 but never noticed it before :)
Thank you! Yeah, when the mains get down to around 20 or less and it's bumpy they are all over the place. Used to bother me more until I got the engine monitor with fuel flow and totalizer. I have that thing dialed in and am usually within 1 gallon (always conservative side) on all 4 tanks. :)

"Let the boy try!"

excalibur-pic-5.jpg

Hhmmmm, plane going in for annual and you ‘hope’ to be able to fly it in 2 weeks........

Hhmmmm, plane going in for annual and you ‘hope’ to be able to fly it in 2 weeks........
It takes me a bit to get the gopro's downloaded and edited. It has been many weeks already on the annual. I chose the wrong shop initially...expensive lesson learned. I will maybe make a post about it all when I finally reach the finish line. I'm being told I will have it back by Friday. :) I will be at Kentucky Dam Dam-it!

Back