RIP Art Bell

Bummer. It was all his fault that I've been running SETI@Home for nearly 2 decades.

Always enjoyed the night owl show in my younger days. 72, too young!

Well that sucks.

Years ago, working a late shift and getting off work in the wee hours, he was what kept me awake on the drive home.

RIP, Mr. Bell.

Well that sucks.

Years ago, working a late shift and getting off work in the wee hours, he was what kept me awake on the drive home.

RIP, Mr. Bell.

Big time. And sometimes at the overnight jobs when one could listen in while working.

Big time. And sometimes at the overnight jobs when one could listen in while working.

One of my first civilian jobs after I left the Army involved 12-hour overnight shifts. Art Bell kinda kept me awake some nights. I also got addicted to rebroadcasts of old time radio shows.

My college roommate used to listen to him late at night while I slept. Sometimes, I'd wake up and Art would be on and I'd start listening and I'd be hooked! That's an impressive feet to take someone who was asleep and within a matter of a few minutes wake them up! Most talk show hosts today are the total opposite!

Art Bell was amazing at what he did. Imagine how good you have to be to talk about time travel and aliens for like 4 hours a night! Serious skill!

Besides the amazing topics, I can vividly remember 2 things about the show- the awesome theme song to the show and when he gave out the phone lines his announced recording would go "If your East of the Rockies dial..... If your West of the Rockies dial.... To reach Art on the Wild Card line dial..." Just so well produced.

Here's the theme song for those who want to reminisce!

My college roommate used to listen to him late at night while I slept. Sometimes, I'd wake up and Art would be on and I'd start listening and I'd be hooked! That's an impressive feet to take someone who was asleep and within a matter of a few minutes wake them up! Most talk show hosts today are the total opposite!

Art Bell was amazing at what he did. Imagine how good you have to be to talk about time travel and aliens for like 4 hours a night! Serious skill!

Besides the amazing topics, I can vividly remember 2 things about the show- the awesome theme song to the show and when he gave out the phone lines his announced recording would go "If your East of the Rockies dial..... If your West of the Rockies dial.... To reach Art on the Wild Card line dial..." Just so well produced.

Here's the theme song for those who want to reminisce!

Music originally from "Midnight Express".

Always liked his show. Most conspiracy shows get so politically bent, but he kept it pretty neutral. Unless lizard people were involved, that is.

This morning's Coast to Coast featured a member from Blue Oyster Cult, and the show was a tribute to Art Bell. Don't fear the reaper was among their bumper music.

I used to love listening to Art Bell. He obviously loved what he did and did it with grace, even with crazy callers. He intorudced some really interesting people and ideas into the ether . He did not talk "down" to the audience, many of which don't have a lot of brain cells to rub together. He was a master. The fellow who replaced him was okay for awhile but when he occasionally gets someone interesting as a guest, somebody who can speak in more than single syllable words, Noory (that's his name) deliberately dumbs down the conversation into something without any meat on it. He caters to the dum-dums (yet he himself is not a dummy) and has ruined the whole thing in my opinion. I haven't listened except very occasionally in years thanks to the minus 70 IQ level the show has gone to.

I do miss Art. He was a character, a radio man (HAM) as well as commercial, founded the station in Pahrump, always had interesting things to say and interesting people to bring on as guests. He's missed, but he's been missed for a long time. I think the new guy, George Noorey or Noory) plays to the lowest common denominator for commercial reasons. Selling shampoo & other junk and allowing the broadcaster to charge more for commercials. It's utterly boring and if during a show it threatens to turn into something interesting thanks to having an unusually bright guest, Noory dumbs it down immediately so not to alienate the double-digits the show now appeals to.

Last edited:
Back