Why so little news out of S&F?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Alas, I couldn't make it this year even though I live in Florida. But I kept thinking I would hear some neat announcements. So far, nada. At least nothing of any importance/interest.

Did I miss all the good stuff?

I don't think so. I was underwhelmed by the (lack of) news coming out of SnF.

Flying mag has put out some interesting articles on Facebook. The iLevel BOM, that new electric plane (3.5 hr endurance), a new glass panel for experimental s, etc. I don’t spend much time on FB, so I assume I’ve only seen a third of what has been presented (at best).

I saw nothing new

I had never seen one of these before, it is a DC-3 fitted with turbines.

They also flew a P-63 King Cobra and the P-38 they carved out of a glacier which were v cool.20180414_114115.jpg

SnF seemed a little down this year.
Not as many working planes as years past, I know we did not display one of our planes as we have in years past.

I had never seen one of these before, it is a DC-3 fitted with turbines.
Basler Turbo Conversions out of Oshkosh has been doing it for decades. I think they told me most of them go to Africa or South America. I wear their polo shirt regularly because, well, a turbine taildragger is just so cool.

Basler Turbo Conversions out of Oshkosh has been doing it for decades. I think they told me most of them go to Africa or South America. I wear their polo shirt regularly because, well, a turbine taildragger is just so cool.
This is the image that came to mind

looney-tunes-acme-road-runner-wile-e-coyote.0.jpg

Not much to report, Bose introduced an in the ear headset. At lot of action at the Garmin booth.

Flying mag has put out some interesting articles on Facebook. The iLevel BOM, that new electric plane (3.5 hr endurance), a new glass panel for experimental s, etc. I don’t spend much time on FB, so I assume I’ve only seen a third of what has been presented (at best).

New electric plane? Was that a Sun Flyer or something else?

Wow, that was an extremely unpolished presentation to be given by someone with the title "director of marketing."
I agree it was somewhat unpolished, but it had the appearance of an impromptu presentation at a live venue. Under the circumstances, I think it was quite good.

But Angela could probably benefit from joining Toastmasters to get her more comfortable speaking without all the "you knows" and "uhs and ums". They are a bit distracting. But she is personable (and pretty) enough to make up for that.

But she is personable (and pretty) enough to make up for that.
That's the saddest (and yet true) statement I've read here in quite some time. Translation: "all hot chicks make good salespeople because they entice men to think with the wrong head."

Indeed, sex sells. Doesn't make it any less sad though.

(Oh, and BTW, since we're going there, she definitely wasn't cute enough to get my other head involved in the process!)

I would think people are more interested in hardware and airplanes. All the software updates in the world won't get our butts off the ground or drill holes in the sky.

I would think people are more interested in hardware and airplanes. All the software updates in the world won't get our butts off the ground or drill holes in the sky.
This from someone that calls themself "data"driver? ;)

That's the saddest (and yet true) statement I've read here in quite some time. Translation: "all hot chicks make good salespeople because they entice men to think with the wrong head."

Indeed, sex sells. Doesn't make it any less sad though.

(Oh, and BTW, since we're going there, she definitely wasn't cute enough to get my other head involved in the process!)

Misogynist.

Wow, that was an extremely unpolished presentation to be given by someone with the title "director of marketing."
Hehe... You guys are a tough audience. But yes, this was unscripted and unrehearsed. I hope you got something of value out of it.

Here's another extemporaneous look at SnF from day 2:

Company reps at these events get event tunnel vision. It's easy to forget your talking to the world and not just casually with the people standing around the booth. Social media means you're always on the global stage. The head of marking should be keenly aware of that. She did an admirable job for a local demo, but probably not the product release video the company would have hoped for.

I had a great time. I arrived Thursday morning and approached Lake Parker from the NE. I saw 3 planes orbiting the lake and planned to fall in since it was my 1st time. All of the sudden ground control says "Cherokee over NE Lk Parker, rock your wings". Then he says follow I4. So there I go solo. The tower finally told me to turn downwind just before I was about to buzz them. Then he immediately said turn base, then said keep it turning and land on the orange dot. They put me in the back 40 (GAC) and I thought that was for all the poor folks with little planes. Turns out I meet some great guys there and we were right under the approach end of the runway. Got lots of cool video of warbirds on short final no more than 100'agl.

Next yr I'm gunna camp in the geezer (older than 1970) section since my bird is a 1966. That will be much shorter walks to all the action.

I was disappointed I didn't see any P-51s during the shows but I saw plenty flying by and I saw a couple close up on the ground.

Company reps at these events get event tunnel vision. It's easy to forget your talking to the world and not just casually with the people standing around the booth. Social media means you're always on the global stage. The head of marking should be keenly aware of that. She did an admirable job for a local demo, but probably not the product release video the company would have hoped for.

I thought she did a good job. This wasn't the foreflight product release video... it was just a marketing rep who was made available for an interview.

Back