NOAA sanctuary regulations

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
I know a guy that accidentally flew 500ft through the no fight operations area near Monterey. How do they enforce that?

I know a guy that accidentally flew 500ft through the no fight operations area near Monterey. How do they enforce that?

If it was an accident, then you really ought to be a compassionate human and let it go. The government has granted itself the right to seize an aircraft that violates the marine sanctuaries and I am sure you are not so petty as to try to invoke that onto someone.

If it was an accident, then you really ought to be a compassionate human and let it go. The government has granted itself the right to seize an aircraft that violates the marine sanctuaries and I am sure you are not so petty as to try to invoke that onto someone.

Ya well I was “asking for a friend” who had an oh pretty moment, followed by a whoops there are red dots with a noaa note need to leave moment.

Note, Garmin doesn’t put those on the GTN. Garmin doesn’t care about the NOAA or the environment.

Last edited:
sectional image?

20a6669676cc2ef6f5d9d9f86066045a.jpg

Does he have ADSB out?

Or a mode S transponder?

Was he on a squak code, or just 1200?

If the above answers are no, no, and no/1200, shy of someone getting him and his N number on film and his altitude being CLEARLY below 1k AGL, chances are no one knows or can prove jack.

I'd say if he hasn't heard anything within 30 days or so, he won't be hearing anything.

Personally I do honor those requests, not so much as I believe they are super enforceable, as I don't want to nail a bird or upset something that's endangered, also those areas normally arnt so plentiful as to cause any real issues for my mission.

Very little, if at all, would be my guess. (I do try to comply, though.)

We're lucky that the restriction is only below a thousand feet. Up on the Washington coast it's 2000.

Was it an accidental fly by or did the plane circle and make many passes..??

It's for people who think that wildlife are more disturbed by small planes at 500 feet than motor boats at zero feet.

Actually, they deem that birds and marine mammals are disturbed at 500' in some areas, at 1000' in other areas and at 2000' in still other places.

I think the whole thing is for the birds.

It's a Marine Sanctuary. It's for those poor fragile Marines. Airplanes scare them. Especially those dangerous little prop jobs.

ATC wont care, FAA is not in the business of enforcing NOAA regulations...it will only be an issue if one of the tree huggers that knows about the zone and regulations spots "your friend" close enough to get a tail # or if they have the wherewithal (unlikely) to know the proper channels to track down "your friends" flight path and information through ATC then have some sort of proof.

Back