Listen fully & carefully to ATIS!

noahf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
noahf
Hi POAers,
Recently got current again after a couple year break, and it's great to be flying!

After de-briefing a recent flight, I realized that I missed or mis-heard two pieces of information, that each could have boosted the margin of safety had I listened more carefully to ATIS.

1. Listening to the KSAC ATIS, I mis-heard the runway as 30 when 20 was in-use. Thankfully with flight-following, this was easily cleared up with NorCal while still above TPA and ~4 miles out. While it worked out just fine, a radio failure or late hand-off without discussing pattern entry with approach could have led to less margin for error. Lesson learned: listen carefully to ATIS until you hear it very clearly.

2. On the flight back to KSQL, I heard the full ATIS but I didn't internalize the winds and compute/estimate the crosswind component. Actual winds per the metar after landing were 11G19 kts, with a significant x-wind component. Due to a much faster aircraft behind us, tower instructed "fly direct to the numbers". Between the unstable approach and gusty crosswind, I initiated a go-around at 100 feet.

Two lessons learned on this one:
(a) to internalize the wind components to stay ahead of the aircraft, i.e. planning crosswind technique in advance such as crab/slip
(b) to be more assertive asking/suggest to tower that I'd rather do a regular pattern, or do a 360/hold somewhere than rush an approach in gusty/sporty (for me) conditions.

Any & all feedback welcome. I'm not beating myself up over these, but thought they were worth sharing for others to learn from. Cheers PoA!

We had a clown, ok a pilot, at the airline who wouldn't listen to the ATIS flying into ATL. He'd wait until others checked in with ATL approach with the information (information Charley), and then he would with the identification. Takes all kinds...

We had a clown, ok a pilot, at the airline who wouldn't listen to the ATIS flying into ATL. He'd wait until others checked in with ATL approach with the information (information Charley), and then he would with the identification. Takes all kinds...
Wait... you mean he'd just get the information identifier, then check in "with Charlie" without even listening to the ATIS?? I think you were right the first time... that's a clown, not a pilot.

Wait... you mean he'd just get the information identifier, then check in "with Charlie" without even listening to the ATIS?? I think you were right the first time... that's a clown, not a pilot.

Yep. He didn't last long though.

Two lessons learned on this one:
(a) to internalize the wind components to stay ahead of the aircraft, i.e. planning crosswind technique in advance such as crab/slip
(b) to be more assertive asking/suggest to tower that I'd rather do a regular pattern, or do a 360/hold somewhere than rush an approach in gusty/sporty (for me) conditions.
I'll agree that it sounds like you already learned the lesson and won't repeat the ATIS issue again.

In my opinion your goal with getting back into the saddle should be to get good enough again that you feel comfortable with whatever normal instructions ATC may give. To me that includes: make short approach, 360 on downwind, slow to your final/slowest practical, max forward speed/keep your speed up, s-turn on final, side step to a different runway, make straight-in, enter directly to base, proceed direct to the numbers, make a right 270 to enter base, go-around, etc. *Without a doubt though, if you are uncomfortable with an ATC instruction, let them know unable and request something that works for you.

Welcome back to the skies!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back