Late lunch at KBIS tomorrow Apr 7 - anyone in?

I enjoyed the trip.

Those bumps from KDIK to KBIS... Mreh. Nothing compared to some stuff in the summer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Based on request from @Sinistar here is the trip report.

Short version:

Flight Plan + FF + AOA = We made it back safely.

Long Version:

It turned out to be a beautiful day to fly and calm winds mostly, which is a celebration by itself in ND (and possibly an indication that something is not write)
Before getting into the plane, we decided we will do a full CRM. I would be the PIC and @ArnoldPalmer would do checklist, help with traffic calls and if need be radio. This is farthest i have been on a single flight as PIC. On all legs we had Flight Plan, asked for and got Flight Following.

KFAR - KDIK
Smooth as glass air all the way. ADSB worked as advertised and most of the times we got both TIS-B and ADSB on Garmin Pilot via GDL 50. Approaching KBIS, we decided that we will circle the KBIS airport and take some pictures, asked KBIS approach and they were cool with it. After the photo shoot, we departed towards KDIK (Dickinson, ND). After we got handed over to MSP Center and about 30 miles from KDIK, they lost Radar coverage on us, we were at 6500. we were still receiving ADSB traffic and TIS-B wx, but no TIS-B traffic. at times we also lost ADSB wx. Approach and landing at KDIK was more of a horse back ride than a plane ride. ground temp was about 4C, but still a lot of thermal activity. Throughout the journey we monitored various weather reporting station and noticed a drop in pressure as we were flying west. Close to KDIK they were reporting 30.07 on the altimeter, an hour back it was 30.23. We had thought about going to Beach, ND the last one on ND - MT border, but saw a front sitting out there and with the pressure drop, we decided not to venture that way. the front was over Montana, i am pretty sure it was far far away, but we didn't wanted to push it. whole flight was 2.8 hobbs (2.54 flight time)

This is how the front looked from KDIK looking west:

View attachment 61781

We spent like 20 mins there, asked the fuel guy to fill up to the tabs, i was standing there to ensure he put in 100LL, to my dismay, he filled up both tanks to the brim. Lesson learnt - don't assume they will do what u asked them to do. it was a non event, but if i had 2 pax and middle of summer, this would have been a problem.

KDIK - KBIS

We took off and called MSP center for flight following, they couldn't pick us up on radar, tried for 30 miles or so and gave up. the whole hour was constant light turbulence with occasional chops (i looked at @ArnoldPalmer and all i got was a shrug and a "meh") - One pilots turbulent ride is another pilots "meh".
We decided not to land in Manden and instead ask for another ASR approach, Approach guys were more than happy to provide it. I have done it before at KBIS, that was only for few mins and then they handed me off to the tower 5 miles out. this time around, they did the full no gyro approach to the runway, didn't even hand me off to the tower (we got a clearance - "tower says you are cleared to land") - it was a great experience again. the only thing i messed up was, i couldn't remember my minimums (approach told me before the ASR, i forgot and didn't have approach plates and it was still more of a horse ride), ended up high over the numbers, slipped and the landing was ... well .. "meh"

we grabbed lunch at Hu Hot Mongolian grill, we over ate and then prayed for a smooth ride.

KBIS - KFAR

Smooth ride all the way, winds were calm at KBIS and 5 kts straight down runway 27, KFAR had to give me rny 36 :)

Overall, awesome trip. 5.5 hrs of hand flying and we kept it within 60 ft of chosen altitude and within few degrees of DTK (apart from 1 time when bouncing around, i was off by more than 12 degrees).

@ArnoldPalmer is an awesome co-pilot and looking forward to more flights together. if weather permits .. may be KSUW (Superior, WI) next weekend.. but wx prediction looks pretty grim
Awesome!!! Thanks for the update.

So a bit over 2.5hrs from Fargo to Dickinson. That will make you never want to drive it again :) And compared to this upcoming weekend, it would seem you had awesome weather.

Now you are truly ready for your next trip going to KRAP :)

One thing nice about ADSB-IN is seeing those METAR's everywhere. I know they are up to 1hr old, yet it is so nice to see out around you (and behind you) and watch the pressure as you did, but also really watch the visibility and ceilings and sometimes wind direction.

Some questions come to mind:

Q.) How many nm from KFAR to KDIK?
Q.) Who are you on with for radar services out of KFAR before being transferred to MPLS Center?
Q.) Did you ever look on the Garmin Connext screen to see where ther closest ADS-B ground based tower (GBT) was to you when around Dickinson?
Q.) Did you have to fiddle with the GDL50 - like moving it from pilot side to co-pilot side from time to time or when you turned around?
Q.) Sounds like you preferred to handfly vs AP?
Q.) Super dumb question - what are these 'tabs' in reference to filling up? I always just fill until near topped off or stick/fill if I don't want full. I don't recall seeing any markers or tabs? Maybe the 182 just uses so much fuel that there is no need for tabs (whatever they are) :)

Awesome!!! Thanks for the update.

So a bit over 2.5hrs from Fargo to Dickinson. That will make you never want to drive it again :) And compared to this upcoming weekend, it would seem you had awesome weather.

Now you are truly ready for your next trip going to KRAP :)

One thing nice about ADSB-IN is seeing those METAR's everywhere. I know they are up to 1hr old, yet it is so nice to see out around you (and behind you) and watch the pressure as you did, but also really watch the visibility and ceilings and sometimes wind direction.

Some questions come to mind:

Q.) How many nm from KFAR to KDIK?
Q.) Who are you on with for radar services out of KFAR before being transferred to MPLS Center?
Q.) Did you ever look on the Garmin Connext screen to see where ther closest ADS-B ground based tower (GBT) was to you when around Dickinson?
Q.) Did you have to fiddle with the GDL50 - like moving it from pilot side to co-pilot side from time to time or when you turned around?
Q.) Super dumb question - what are these 'tabs' in reference to filling up? I always just fill until near topped off or stick/fill if I don't want full. I don't recall seeing any markers or tabs? Maybe the 182 just uses so much fuel that there is no need for tabs (whatever they are) :)

even though i could see everything on the GP, i have made it a habit of tuning the local ATIS/ASOS/AWOS of nearby airport and get the weather from there as well. those are much more closer to the real-time weather and i have a habit of flying close to or over airports anyway where i switch fuel tanks and the reported weather is actually true (i know some people will disagree to this method, but it works for me). to answer your other questions..

How many nm from KFAR to KDIK?
245 in straight line, ours were 258 since we diverted a little and circled around KBIS to take pictures of the airport

after take off, Tower will hand you over to Departure until you leave TRSA, then you get handed over to MSP Center (you can look up the frequencies in advance from the IFR low enroute chart to stay ahead of the game, i also write them down in my knee pad and use the same to stay ahead of the game while coming back). approaching KBIS, we got handed over to Bismark approach, think about 35 miles out, then on our way to KDIK, Bismarck handed us back to the previous MSP Center frequency.. who lost us on radar in about 20 miles.

Nopes

It sits on the far end of the co-pilot side on the glare-shield before take off, i dont fiddle with it in air

i do both, i try to alternate my XC between hand fly and AP. my AP doesnt have altitude encoder, its a hassle when pressure changes too much. it will constantly try to adjust itself on Alt Hold and ends up being a roller coaster ride. on days where the pressure is consistent, it works flawlessly. other days i just use the poor mans AP - trim

Tabs
May be Cessna doesnt have them and that could be the reason why the dude didnt understand what i was talking about. he is not a line man, he is a pilot, finishing off his commercial i think and just working at the FBO., here is a picture of teh tab in the fuel tank = https://imgur.com/3NZRvpj

if you fill up to it, its 17 Gal instead of 24 (to the brim). your 182 i think holds a million gallon :)

Re: Tabs....I get it. You'd need a 20ft ladder or Cherry Picker to see them on the high wing :) Heck, maybe it even has them and I've never noticed.

Re: Tabs....I get it. You'd need a 20ft ladder or Cherry Picker to see them on the high wing :) Heck, maybe it even has them and I've never noticed.
and thats why my friend... low wing is better :rollercoaster:

So you start out on Fargo departure until clear of the TRSA, then MPLS Center. Somewhere in there was Bismarck Approach and then you fell off the end of the earth :)

and thats why my friend... low wing is better :rollercoaster:
Yeah, all this talk of visibility, seeing in the pattern, what looks better, having shade, shelter from the rain...but now we have definitive proof....fuel tabs. This can now be cited in every low/high wing argument :)

Glad you guys had a good trip! A nice benefit of that KFAR to KDIK leg is that you are following 94 the whole way and can get LTE reception from Verizon for the most part.

Back