Provided VFR operations and private use only

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
Airports on sectional marked as Pvt often have, in the remarks, something along the lines of “Provided VFR operations and private use only”.
What exactly does this mean. I know some pvt airports are pretty welcoming while others you can’t get ahold of them no matter how many people you try to call. Obviously a call is a good idea before landing at these places but what are your guy’s experiences?

dunno, the only private field I've landed at was BQ1 (The Pig) and that was listed as private 'accidentally'. I used to call up and ask for permission and he was like "you don't have to ask permission, it shouldn't be listed as private". it has since been updated as 'open to the public'. so that's the only exposure I have to private airports.

I was on approach to Darby Dan pretty much by accident when someone on the ground asked who I was. I told them I'd never landed there and they said I should come visit. Haven't yet, actually.

If it is private then permission is required in non-emergency situations. The permission is usually from the manager or member of the private airstrip community. In other words the private airstrip is private property and should not be entered without permission. I would not presume to trespass on another’s property. It seems to me that lots of city dwellers don’t get the trespass thing.

I have gotten permission two ways. One was by calling the manager when I needed access to complete a VAC flight. The other way was a general invite to a fly-in/pancake breakfast.

Permission isn't a good idea, it's required, I mean it's private property, it's marked as such and you'd be trespassing in someone's property otherwise.

I suppose the question is, Does the public remark, provided private use, provide express written permission to use as long as your flight is a private operation?"
Some say "for personal use of owner" that wording is different and far less inviting. Owner's probably don't understand this that well themselves, that is why I say it is a good idea to call anyways.

edit: Looked up the word provided. English Lesson. The basic definition is "to supply" The word stems from the word priviso. And the legal definition means "to arrange for or stipulate before hand"

How do you like that, I answered my own question on a public forum...

Last edited:
Private property, keep out. That's it in a nutshell.

Unless you have acquired permission.

Last edited:
Private use only means it's for the use of the owner, his friends and other pilots with permission from him.
It has nothing to do with if your flight is a private operation.

You need permission a simple matter,if you have a reason to go there,you can usually get permission by a simple phone call. I was invited to fly in to a private air park,was no big deal.

Just wondering, but legally if one did land, could the owner call the PD and prevent you from taking off again, for safety or insurance or whatever and require the plane to leave on a trailer?

I've always told my students unless you want to risk being in court and the plane being on a trailer don't do it without permission or under a real 7700 event, in which case it's likely to end up on a trailer anyways.

Airports on sectional marked as Pvt often have, in the remarks, something along the lines of “Provided VFR operations and private use only”.
What exactly does this mean. I know some pvt airports are pretty welcoming while others you can’t get ahold of them no matter how many people you try to call. Obviously a call is a good idea before landing at these places but what are your guy’s experiences?

Can you provide the airport you are seeing this remark associated with?

It is also “provided” on the chart for the purpose of VFR “operations” i.e. visual navigation.

To wit, a VFR navigational reference point, and also available in the case of an emergency for landing.

There is a Dept of Energy runway a good distance NE of Tonopah NV. Many years ago, it disappeared off the printed chart. After much complaining by local pilots it was put back on the chart. Great place for an emergency and navigational reference. One of three charted airports between Tonopah and Ely.

Just wondering, but legally if one did land, could the owner call the PD and prevent you from taking off again, for safety or insurance or whatever and require the plane to leave on a trailer?

I've always told my students unless you want to risk being in court and the plane being on a trailer don't do it without permission or under a real 7700 event, in which case it's likely to end up on a trailer anyways.

That’s what’s great about many gliders... we have a trailer. I’ve landed in more private backyards than private airports. Never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sure, many pvt fields have it in either comments or remarks on ForeFlight. Others have nothing or strictly owner use only in there. I’m in California and most of the pvt airports say that and most are pretty good about letting you land there when you call. Californians are a little more friendly about sharing their land than other places. I pulled up to a friends dairy in NM once in a car he wasn’t familiar with and he greeted me with a shotgun lol
40399db1b382052c4fcb75a47f33ace2.jpg
e1863aadb6a39510cf7ffce79c066917.jpg
20180412/69315af2477a11df7881b0dc4315e47a.jpg[/IMG]

FF is just telling you it is a private VFR airport with part time lighting that is not pilot activated.

Yes...I can't find it but there was a story a while back of a plane that landed on private property for some reason and the owner would not grant permission to fly off and blocked the plane. They ultimately had to trailer it out.

Emergency declaration is only a reprieve from FAR enforcement, not local or state laws and regulations if someone really wants to be a Delta Bravo.

And landing at a private strip without permission and not under a 7700 event could also be a 91.13 on the FAR side too.

I'd say the only way the could prevent you from taking off again is to arrest you for tresspasing in the first place. Physically restraining you is the only way I can see them from 'preventing' you. Or shoot the plane

I'd say the only way the could prevent you from taking off again is to arrest you for tresspasing in the first place. Physically restraining you is the only way I can see them from 'preventing' you. Or shoot the plane

Or pull a truck in front of the plane, is tresspasing a citizens arrestable thing?

Or pull a truck in front of the plane, is tresspasing a citizens arrestable thing?
Unless you have notice that entry is prohibited, you're probably not trespassing unless you refuse to leave. What can constitute notice is pretty varied.

Sure, many pvt fields have it in either comments or remarks on ForeFlight. Others have nothing or strictly owner use only in there. I’m in California and most of the pvt airports say that and most are pretty good about letting you land there when you call. Californians are a little more friendly about sharing their land than other places. I pulled up to a friends dairy in NM once in a car he wasn’t familiar with and he greeted me with a shotgun lol
40399db1b382052c4fcb75a47f33ace2.jpg
e1863aadb6a39510cf7ffce79c066917.jpg
20180412/69315af2477a11df7881b0dc4315e47a.jpg[/IMG]

That wouldn’t work for me, I’m a Republican!

I would think you would want to know the field conditions considering most privates are turf if nothing else.

I would think you would want to know the field conditions considering most privates are turf if nothing else.
Dragging the field works for that most days. Even after talking to the owner for field conditions, I'd drag the field once before landing.

Always get permission unless it is an emergency. I fly out of a private field and enjoy the privacy. Landing without permission is rude, irresponsible and inconsiderate. There could be liability insurance issues as well. Crashing at a private field is bad manners. That being said, with an invitation, a private field can be the best thing going.

Unless you have notice that entry is prohibited, you're probably not trespassing unless you refuse to leave. What can constitute notice is pretty varied.

Isn't it marked as private on your required sectional, and as PIC arnt you expected to research where you'll be landing?

Seems like plenty of notice unless you are being careless.

So trespass and/or 91.13?

Back