Got my brains bashed in the Cub today

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
I went out in clear, cold (24 degrees), and relatively calm (6 mph, 2 mph x-wind) conditions this morning, and got my brains thoroughly bashed due to severe gusting and turbulence over the Berkshires.
After .5 hours, I finally said "Enough!". I then spent another .75 hours, trying to get back to the airport. When I eventually did turn final, I had to maintain 1,800+ rpm to keep enough airspeed to stay in the air.
Oh, and my landing wasn't pretty enough to win me any awards either. But it counts.
I can't wait to see what I got on the GoPro.
Be safe out there, boys and girls. I suspect our "Spring" weather is going to get worse before it gets better.
Instead of posting bumps and bruises, I posted a piece of my taxi back.

Last edited:
One of my most memorable lessons was in a Cub with turbulence and wind shear. Quite a confidence booster, and also kicked the ever loving crap out of me. It was absolutely exhausting.

Snow here this morning. Sunny and 52F now. Welcome to spring time on the eastern edge of the Rockies.

Winds have been stiff as of recent here in the south. Might only get a single day this week with calmer winds, so I’ll be taking advantage of it.

Stay safe up there, Shep!

I was a little bumpy on the decent into PIT yesterday in the cattle car, but nothing too bad. Snowing here in PA today, lol.

Snow here this morning. Sunny and 52F now. Welcome to spring time on the eastern edge of the Rockies.

I spent part of Sunday clearing 5 inches of new stuff that had fallen overnight. Enough already!

@Shepherd is this weather forecast accurate?

839aff09357455e9b801c17f2d57236e.jpg

I went out in clear, cold (24 degrees), and relatively calm (6 mph, 2 mph x-wind) conditions this morning, and got my brains thoroughly bashed due to severe gusting and turbulence over the Berkshires.
After .5 hours, I finally said "Enough!". I then spent another .75 hours, trying to get back to the airport. When I eventually did turn final, I had to maintain 1,800+ rpm to keep enough airspeed to stay in the air.
Oh, and my landing wasn't pretty enough to win me any awards either. But it counts.
Be safe out there, boys and girls. I suspect our "Spring" weather is going to get worse before it gets better.

Rough day it sounds like. Funny thing, I flew on Sunday in the morning up to 44N Sky acres. Flight was glass smooth up at 4,500 but coming into land up at 44n was a roller coaster ride from about 3,000 feet down to the ground. Had a crazy stiff right cross wind but made a great cross wind landing. I warned the guy behind me on CTAF that the wind was strong from the right. He landed and we got to talking over breakfast( real nice guy) and he said the wind was nothing when he landed! Seems like Sunday was a crazy day with the winds so maybe that carried through to your flight!

Wait a second.... @Shepherd is trying to sneak in the assumption to all of our heads that he had brains before the flight.... ;) ;) ;) Sneaky.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Rough day it sounds like. Funny thing, I flew on Sunday in the morning up to 44N Sky acres. Flight was glass smooth up at 4,500 but coming into land up at 44n was a roller coaster ride from about 3,000 feet down to the ground. Had a crazy stiff right cross wind but made a great cross wind landing. I warned the guy behind me on CTAF that the wind was strong from the right. He landed and we got to talking over breakfast( real nice guy) and he said the wind was nothing when he landed! Seems like Sunday was a crazy day with the winds so maybe that carried through to your flight!

While I was bouncing around Monday I heard a guy in a Cessna make multiple missed approaches at Sky Acres. After 4 or 5 he gave up and was last heard "departing to the South".
JSPILOT, where do you fly out of?

Hey! I resemble that remark!

While I was bouncing around Monday I heard a guy in a Cessna make multiple missed approaches at Sky Acres. After 4 or 5 he gave up and was last heard "departing to the South".
JSPILOT, where do you fly out of?

Yeah that's not an airport you want to be trying to plant it on the ground in tough conditions. Sunday was about 10-15 knots with the wind all over the place( sometimes quartering into you sometimes directly across, sometimes straight into-- that's about my limit for "fun.")

Shepherd, I fly out of KHWV ( Brookhaven, NY)

Yeah that's not an airport you want to be trying to plant it on the ground in tough conditions. Sunday was about 10-15 knots with the wind all over the place( sometimes quartering into you sometimes directly across, sometimes straight into-- that's about my limit for "fun.")

Shepherd, I fly out of KHWV ( Brookhaven, NY)

I have a picture somewhare of a C-172 that got blown off the runway, into the pond last year.

Some Thursday or Friday we should meet at Sky Acres for breakfast\lunch.
I try to stay away from the place on weekends, it gets crazy.

I have a picture somewhare of a C-172 that got blown off the runway, into the pond last year.

Some Thursday or Friday we should meet at Sky Acres for breakfast\lunch.
I try to stay away from the place on weekends, it gets crazy.

I'd be up for that in the summer time when I have weekdays off once teaching at school is done. Yes the weekends can be crazy there but 44n is one of my favorite places to go. Do you know what they are building on the West side of the runway?

I actually wonder how often planes do go off that runway. It's not very narrow but just narrow enough so people have to pay attention and going off the side is not just catching some grass on the tires-- it's either in that pond or in the trees!

I'd be up for that in the summer time when I have weekdays off once teaching at school is done. Yes the weekends can be crazy there but 44n is one of my favorite places to go. Do you know what they are building on the West side of the runway?

I actually wonder how often planes do go off that runway. It's not very narrow but just narrow enough so people have to pay attention and going off the side is not just catching some grass on the tires-- it's either in that pond or in the trees!

Word on the street is that they will erect a "temporary" concrete plant. They are installing new high voltage power lines all through the area, and will use heavy lift helicopters to transfer the concrete, then carry the towers to the site to be erected.
Should be an interesting time.

Word on the street is that they will erect a "temporary" concrete plant. They are installing new high voltage power lines all through the area, and will use heavy lift helicopters to transfer the concrete, then carry the towers to the site to be erected.
Should be an interesting time.

Wow so this seems like it could have some serious impact on the airport with the heavy helicopters departing often. That will make it very interessting to fly in and out of there.

Picture of Cessna, in the ditch at 44N. Blown off the runway while attempting to land.
IMG_20170402_170059.jpg

Good thing you were not flying my Breezy :)breezy and me.jpg

According to witnesses his wheels never touched the runway. He got blown off to the side and went into the ravine.

Sky Acres (44N) is a great airport with cheap gas and food!

Has it become windier over the years or am I just getting old? (Okay, I know I'm getting old). Seems like it is hard to find a day to fly without a turbulence airmet.

I did the majority of my piloting in the 80s and then recently I bought an airplane. I can tell you that there appears to be less air polution because in the summer there are less low visibility days due to haze and smog than I remember from the 80s.

Back