Will a 150 take off on grass?

They fly off of grass very well actually. Done it several times.

Funny how theories like these develop..

With that comment I sometimes question what I believe to be true sometimes......

EchoKilo.

I don’t know your skill level, the condition of the 150 in question, or the condition of your turf runway. All I know is that I have landed and taken off on a few grass strips in a 150 with a passenger with no problem.
The 150 is hypothetical. The grass strip is pretty well whichever, but ours in particular too (1,800 ft.).

And then there is this to offer. If you are willing to sit in a side-by-side airplane to gain hours/experience, why a 150? For the same price you could get a T-craft or a Chief and have something. You can ridge lift and thermal those girls.

And then there is this to offer. If you are willing to sit in a side-by-side airplane to gain hours/experience, why a 150? For the same price you could get a T-craft or a Chief and have something. You can ridge lift and thermal those girls.

I believe that girl above could actually be a source of orographic lift. You’re right!

If the grass was tall enough to slow the airplane, I'd be more worried about it blocking your view of rocks and other things you may not want to run over.

Well it helps if the grass gets cut every now and then. A well maintained turf strip is nearly the same as a paved runway for take-off performance. Maybe add 10% to the ground roll. Soft field technique is not required just because it is grass.

Soft field technique does help to stop beating up the nose wheel on uneven earth. Not every grass runway is a golf fairway or putting green.

What do you mean?

Without going into lengthy detail. It makes you ask yourself: "Why do you believe what you believe" who taught you. How do you know it's relevant today, was it wrong from the beginning.

Without going into lengthy detail. It makes you ask yourself: "Why do you believe what you believe" who taught you. How do you know it's relevant today, was it wrong from the beginning.
Umm..okay?? Not sure what point you’re trying to make.

I was only speaking from experience so that should answer those questions.

I did a number of flights to Twin Pines Airport (former 2200 ft grass strip in NJ) during the summer in a C150 during my PPL training with two on board. Lots of fun.

To get other perspectives. I love my father, but he's not the only resource for information in the world.
I would expect that watching him fly a 150 off a grass field would obviate the need for the question.

Or was it just photoshopped?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've been based at grass field more than not. I also grew up and learned to fly from a 2000' ag strip. Unless the grass needs mowed, wheel pants aren't typically an issue. I used to remove the wheelpants from my Starduster Too in the winter, but that was more because it was frequently wet and they tended to fill up with dead grass/mud. I leave them on my RV-4 year-round. They do get some grass stains, but are easy to clean since they are painted with Imron polyurethane paint.

We kept our ag strip cut fairly short and mowed it at least every week, sometimes more frequently when rained frequently and the bermuda grass grew like crazy. It was an extremely smooth sod field. Current grass field is mowed every week and is also quite smooth. If well maintained and it has good drainage, I've never had issues with grass making a huge difference in performance. Good grass growing conditions (hot and humid) are more detrimental to performance than the grass itself. My former Swift was a ground loving plane but still did reasonably well from grass, but hot days I wouldn't carry a passenger out unless they were pretty small.

My dad rold me to cut the oats when I started taxiing in with green leading edges in our Spezio. :oops:

The mechanic who did the next condition inspection wasn't happy about all the oats that fell out onto his shop floor when he pulled the wing root fairings. :eek:

I would expect that watching him fly a 150 off a grass field would obviate the need for the question.

Or was it just photoshopped?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Never saw him do it. He got rid of that plane before I was old enough to remember.

To get other perspectives. I love my father, but he's not the only resource for information in the world.

But in your own words...he did it for years... so who would be a better authority? Since no-one here used that particular runway, he is the one with the most informed answer to your question. Therefore other perspectives, in this case, are pretty much irrelevant.

Quick question, can someone tell me roughly what the typical cost for insurance on a Cessna 150 would be? I'm just trying to get a rough idea. I don't know what information I would need to give you to make a more accurate guess, But I'm seriously thinking about buying a Cessna 150.

Quick question, can someone tell me roughly what the typical cost for insurance on a Cessna 150 would be? I'm just trying to get a rough idea. I don't know what information I would need to give you to make a more accurate guess, But I'm seriously thinking about buying a Cessna 150.
Insurance cost for fixed gear aircraft is mostly based on hull value and time in type. Liability should be three or four hundred a year. Hull value will prolly be a couple hundred a year. The first year may be a little higher if you have no time in a 150. An insurance broker would be happy to give a quote.

I want to explore the topic of Cessna 150s on short grass fields.

My father used to own a '59 model 150, and he says they will certainly takeoff on grass, as he used to fly out and into our 1,800 ft. grass runway here at home.

Once I get my ticket, which will probably be here in a couple of months, I plan to look into buying a 150 as a time builder and recreational plane. I would like to keep here at our home, and fly it out of our 1,800 ft. grass strip that I mentioned above.

Is grass a problem for the 150? I've heard that they won't take off on grass, and that you have to force them off the ground, get them into ground effect and let them build speed, then climb out.

What do you think my limitations on load would be? Would I only be able to do it on a cool day with half tanks with 10 deg. of flaps? Or do you think it would do it at max gross weight?

Thanks.
I have a 1963 C150 and take off from a grass runway often. No problem.

A student of mine has a 150, even as a student pilot I think his insurance is a hair under $600 with $16k hull value.

I own a 150D and live on a turf strip. Mine's 2700', but if I pay attention to technique I can consistently get off the ground in 600' and land in 400'. That's at near gross in summer. I've taken a 280# passenger and half fuel and my 200# self without trouble, although I used more like 900' to get off the ground and climb was down around 250 fpm. I don't have any obstructions for at least 400' on the ends, so that helps. Don't sell a 150 short, they're cheap, fun, and more capable than many folks give them credit for. I figure my costs at about $38/hr wet. That includes $475 insurance, fuel, oil, inspection, but not engine reserve, flying 60-80 hours a year.

A student of mine has a 150, even as a student pilot I think his insurance is a hair under $600 with $16k hull value.
Based on rates for me and a partner, the rates seem to be lower for a student since he will always be flying or under supervision of a CFI.

I got my PPL in C150 and TO and land in grass was a requirement or so I was told

I got my PPL in C150 and TO and land in grass was a requirement or so I was told

I started in a 150 in 1974 and it's never been required since then. Soft field T&Ls may have to be demonstrated on a check ride, but they're not required to be accomplished on an actual grass strip.

I started in a 150 in 1974 and it's never been required since then. Soft field T&Ls may have to be demonstrated on a check ride, but they're not required to be accomplished on an actual grass strip.
Nor is a grass strip necessarily an actual soft field.

It's especially important to understand that the 10% increase in takeoff distance for grass doesn't account for soft field technique.

Called AOPA to get some advice on purchasing a plane. The recording that answered said I needed my AOPA #. Do you have to be a member to talk to them?

Called AOPA to get some advice on purchasing a plane. The recording that answered said I needed my AOPA #. Do you have to be a member to talk to them?

We members hope that they aren't giving the milk away for free. Please become a member.

I thought being a member was like, you know, a mailing list or something.
AOPA is a great organization that advocates for us. General aviation, as we know it, is in danger of disappearing. AOPA helps protect our rights.

AOPA is a great organization that advocates for us. General aviation, as we know it, is in danger of disappearing. AOPA helps protect our rights.
Yep, we need a constitutional amendment.

Just measured and I've got about 1,800'-1,900' of grass runway. 2,200' if you count my front yard. It's about another 1,800'-2,000' to the treeline (which is also a hill) on one side. The other side has some trees and a treeline just to the right to watch out for, but if you turn slightly left after takeoff, there don't appear to be many obstacles.

What do you guys think of this for a 150? What's a safe length for a grass strip and obstacle distance for a 150 to you guys? I need informed opinions. I'm considering purchasing a 150 and keeping it on this grass strip if possible. I just want to make sure it's going to be safe.

Back