Advice: 170 hours, 4 years, 2 practical test failures=frustrated

Why not fly as a student? Isn't that when we really start to gain some comfort in an airplane? Are you really ready to take up a passenger? And find a more mellow flight training program. I certainly wouldn't want the stress of scheduling lessons at a big school. In fact, just go buy your own plane and keep it at a little airport that has a good instructor. Seriously, it could work for you.

Thanks for ongoing comments. I know from the rest of life that nervousness is inversely correlated to preparation. That's really at the core of my question: how best to prepare because what I've done so far isn't cutting it.
I have begun searching for a private CFI. Are there directories I should look at? Google returns one at Gleim, but the entries are timestamped 2003.

The best way to find a private CFI is going to be word of mouth referrals. You don't want to just pick one at random from some outdated directory. Post here where you're flying from; start talking to local pilots/aircraft owners at your home/nearby airport. See if there's a local pilot's facebook page. Maybe even ask over on Beechtalk.

When I see words like "School...assign...new CFI...reset button..." I start to see the problem. You've put yourself in the hands of the school and are, probably somewhat subconsciously, just waiting for them to tell you what to do; you're just along for the ride. F*** that. It's time for YOU to take charge. You're the customer, you're the one spending the money and carving out the time for this. You need to PICK a CFI that will work for you. If that means moving to a different "school" so be it. In your first post you identified part of the issue: at the school you're at, you're seemingly nothing but a cog in the wheel for the school and the revolving door CFIs. I know it's difficult, mentally, to cut ties this late in the game, but it's probably in your best long-term interest.

My advice, having seen folks struggle through these situations in the past: start asking around (here, other folks at the airport, local pilot Facebook groups, etc.) and find an independent CFI that you can work with, one that isn't focused on going to the airlines or churning hours. You need a CFI that's been around awhile, that does this because they want to not because they have to, and that has adequate time to dedicate to you and your progression. Most of the guys/gals that fit that bill will NOT be the type to hold your hand and tell you it's all going to be OK; they're going to be hard on you, hold you to a high standard, and won't sugar-coat things. But you don't want a friend, you want someone who is going to make you a good, licensed pilot. You don't need CFIs and school managers who appear to care more about keeping you "happy" and coming back with your $$, rather than getting you finished.

If money really isn't a major issue, seriously consider just buying a 152/172 (or even a Diamond if you play in that income strata) to get through the rest of your training and the first part of your PPL "career." Not only does that solve the school scheduling/maintenance issues, but it gives you a good way to build some hours before moving into a Cirrus.
The problem with finding an independent is renting an airplane. Unless the student or instructor has their own airplane, it's going to be an issue to rent from a flight school.

The OP has a location of Princeton in his location; I don't know where he's flying from but the three instructors in the website for their flight scholl don;t look like they are pining for a regional right seat.

...I didn't know it was an option to continue the test even after knowing I'd failed, so just complied.

This is spelled out in the ACS. If your copy is not dog-eared, annotated and practically memorized, well, you have an opportunity for improvement.

This is spelled out in the ACS. If your copy is not dog-eared, annotated and practically memorized, well, you have an opportunity for improvement.

The examiner isn't required to let the applicant continue. He is only required to inform the applicant that he or she has failed the test.

"The evaluator or the applicant must end the test if the applicant fails a Task. The evaluator may continue the test only with the consent of the applicant" (emphasis mine).

The problem with finding an independent is renting an airplane. Unless the student or instructor has their own airplane, it's going to be an issue to rent from a flight school.

The OP has a location of Princeton in his location; I don't know where he's flying from but the three instructors in the website for their flight scholl don;t look like they are pining for a regional right seat.

That has not been my experience as a freelance CFI, back on the west coast I had 2 schools I could rent from, and use their facilities, they were happy for the business as they should be, they get a rental they normally wouldn't get, plus sell some charts, maybe a logbook, make money off a written test, be pretty stupid to turf all of that over not being able to make money also using one of their inhouse CFIs, especially since I already found the student.

It's a story that is tangental to the core issue regarding the system, which DenverPilot summarizes above. And I also believe the past is the past, I hope I've learned from it, but don't want to dwell on it or lay blame. I just want to land on the most effective go-forward strategy.

<<edit>> Ok. I just typed it up, proof read, then realized there is just no benefit to detailing full story which involves some carelessness by flight school/CFI and a DPE undergoing review by the local FSDO. Suffice to say that the DPE wanted me and my flight school out of his life ASAP. I took off at an unfamiliar towered airport after long ground delays, headed for a XC in geography I'd never seen. His first directive was lost procedure and diversion. I blew it completely (wrong time/distance and course), and after 5 min or so he said, 'there's nowhere to go from here, just take me back.' I didn't know it was an option to continue the test even after knowing I'd failed, so just complied.
I don't know. It's hard to tell without knowing the details, maybe you're glossing over something, but it doesn't seem like 5 minutes of struggling in a lost procedure is enough to warrant a failure and complete abort of the ride unless you were doing something inherently unsafe, being lost for 5 minutes during a lost procedure seems pretty normal to me. It seems like there is more to this than your lack of readiness to me, but again, without knowing what happened, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

You're school certainly should be guiding you to an examiner that treats students fairly, not one that has a beef with them.

I do agree that flying solo is probably what you need more of anyway.

As noted by James, independent CFIs (the good ones at least) usually know where to get a plane.

I'm probably the last person qualified to offer any advice, but sometimes "From the mouths of babes oft come gems". Take a look at John Kings (King Schools) video offerings. He has some entertaining, insightful, and informative offerings regarding checkrides. Very good for visual learners.

I'm probably the last person qualified to offer any advice, but sometimes "From the mouths of babes oft come gems". Take a look at John Kings (King Schools) video offerings. He has some entertaining, insightful, and informative offerings regarding checkrides. Very good for visual learners.
:) You're a pro compared to some. There's one guy on here giving advice that has yet to take his first lesson. ;)

Thanks for ongoing comments. I know from the rest of life that nervousness is inversely correlated to preparation. That's really at the core of my question: how best to prepare because what I've done so far isn't cutting it.
I have begun searching for a private CFI. Are there directories I should look at? Google returns one at Gleim, but the entries are timestamped 2003.
Which airports are convenient?

That has not been my experience as a freelance CFI, back on the west coast I had 2 schools I could rent from, and use their facilities, they were happy for the business as they should be, they get a rental they normally wouldn't get, plus sell some charts, maybe a logbook, make money off a written test, be pretty stupid to turf all of that over not being able to make money also using one of their inhouse CFIs, especially since I already found the student.
Insurance requirements.

Insurance requirements.

Almost always a red herring. Flight school insurance policies are usually extremely broad and give the school manager a LOT of discretion.

Almost always a red herring. Flight school insurance policies are usually extremely broad and give the school manager a LOT of discretion.
Maybe, but it's their airplane. They might have received better terms if they limit the number of open instructors on the policy. Despite what James posted, a lot of places are territorial and don't want an independent competing for business.

Maybe, but it's their airplane. They might have received better terms if they limit the number of open instructors on the policy. Despite what James posted, a lot of places are territorial and don't want an independent competing for business.
The main issue is that you make less money when your instructors aren't flying your airplanes. The more your airplanes fly, the less they cost per hour, the more money you make. An instructor teaching in someone else's airplane messes that up. Hence why some schools charge significantly more if you want to use your own airplane. They're trying to make up the money they would have made had you used their rental airplane.

Territorial, yes. I get that and some places (stupidly, IMHO) reject independent CFIs. But I maintain that anyone that says "insurance" is using it as a red herring. It's almost never a real issue in the context of a rental/commercial policy.

Territorial, yes. I get that and some places (stupidly, IMHO) reject independent CFIs. But I maintain that anyone that says "insurance" is using it as a red herring. It's almost never a real issue in the context of a rental/commercial policy.
Have you operated an FBO or flight school? Also, if airplanes are on leaseback the owners might object to unknown instructors/renters.

Have you operated an FBO or flight school? Also, if airplanes are on leaseback the owners might object to unknown instructors/renters.

I've worked at flight schools and I've managed insurance for a large flying club. I'm generally familiar with the kind of language in a typical "commercial"/flight school insurance policy.

While I guess it's possible that the leaseback owners might object to someone, I think it's unlikely. If the leaseback owners had an issue with strangers flying their planes they wouldn't put them on leaseback. In my experience, absent a bad experience with a particular customer, all the owners care about is whether the renter/instructor meets the insurance requirements and is briefed on whatever special "procedures" might apply to their airplane.

The duscussion of FBO policies regarding independent CFIs always makes me chuckle, with comments on all sides of the question apparently thinking it's uniform (or at least should be). I've seen examples of all of them, with most having some kind of policy limiting instruction to instructors approved by the FBO in some way. The reasons vary from "protecting the house" to insurance limitations to simply having control over who gets to fly the airplanes they operate.

@RoadRunner - WARNING: Another "newbie" opinion from someone who just received my official PPL from the FAA about 2 weeks ago.

I had to switch CFI's and it sucked. I'll spare the details other than it was a partial reset as you can't blame CFI#2 for needing to be sure. I will say it was also a blow to the pride thinking I'd finish in 75 or 80 hours and it took around 100. And doing that checkride at -8F was not at all fun. Even the plane hated me and kept giving me the finger when I tried to lean it :)

So what I did was switch to a new mode. I told myself this needs to get done. If not it can drag on forever (as you no doubt now feel). I also told my new instructor that I am looking for someone to help me earn this, that I feel ready and flying obviously wasn't all the fun lately. Fortunately, he said: "We'll make it fun again and get you done."

In hindsight we really didn't do that many flights together. But when we did they were rather long flights often close to 2hrs and maybe a bit more. He had me work slowflight way closer to actual stall than CFI#1. We knocked out a whole bunch of airports. I think I was at around 20 airports before the checkride. With the exception of KANE, I had hit every airport around the twin cities and many more on my cross countries. He offered to give me a night endorsement as it was November/December. I declined as I thought why risk it for either of us. On the last two flights we basically did the ACS checkride portion. I think I might have failed the first one. The second one I probably would have passed.

Then my instructor got sick. Two choices...sit and wait...or practice.

So I printed out a condensed version of the ACS and flew what I imagined the checkride to be. I started with a cross country, diverted, did hood time (JOKE!), did stalls, slow flight, engine out, VOR's, specialty landings & takeoffs, taking to FSS, etc. Each of those flights was like 2hrs. I think I would have failed the first but I knew I would have kicked butt on the second :)

I called my CFI, he was feeling good enough to come out and endorse me. Checkride (oral and flying) went awesome.

CFI#1 taught me how to fly and he was darn good at it. CFI#2 loves to fly and wanted to see me finish and fly. He knew that experiencing lots of airports, lots of emergencies, etc would really prepare me. He was right. In the end though I think it was me...not me waiting on the system...that made it happen. Those couple of long quiet solo flights doing the ACS checklist were what made me confident.

And I was also thrown something I had not done. For the short field landing, neither instructor had me do a short field with a 50' obstacle at the end of runway. I managed it, that part felt awesome.

You are so close. Unless there is something you are not sharing (nothing right?) then increase your solo hours a bit. Rent the plane and go fly the ACS 2 or 3 times. Do it all, don't cut corners. Don't be surprised if you fly for 2+hrs. It will be working up your endurance. Have a CFI just ride along and evaluate after the 2nd one. Fly at least 2 or 3 times in a week. You will prevail and be done :)

PS. We're pretty close in age and probably close in how busy we are at work and family.
PPS. I wouldn't recommend buying a plane just to complete this, it could turn into a many weeks long distraction.

Immaterial. Golden Rule applies. I'm happy that you never ran into limitations.

Why would
I've worked at flight schools and I've managed insurance for a large flying club. I'm generally familiar with the kind of language in a typical "commercial"/flight school insurance policy.

While I guess it's possible that the leaseback owners might object to someone, I think it's unlikely. If the leaseback owners had an issue with strangers flying their planes they wouldn't put them on leaseback. In my experience, absent a bad experience with a particular customer, all the owners care about is whether the renter/instructor meets the insurance requirements and is briefed on whatever special "procedures" might apply to their airplane.

That.

@RoadRunner - WARNING: Another "newbie" opinion from someone who just received my official PPL from the FAA about 2 weeks ago.
I had to switch CFI's and it sucked. <snip>
PS. We're pretty close in age and probably close in how busy we are at work and family.
PPS. I wouldn't recommend buying a plane just to complete this, it could turn into a many weeks long distraction.

Sinistar, that's great stuff, and a really practical, tactical approach I can use, thanks for that.

The duscussion of FBO policies regarding independent CFIs always makes me chuckle, with comments on all sides of the question apparently thinking it's uniform (or at least should be). I've seen examples of all of them, with most having some kind of policy limiting instruction to instructors approved by the FBO in some way. The reasons vary from "protecting the house" to insurance limitations to simply having control over who gets to fly the airplanes they operate.

And at some FBOs if you ask to see the actual insurance policy, not just some vague assurances that they say things are covered, they’ll scratch their heads and say “It’s around here somewhere...”

@RoadRunner Did you say ballpark where you live? Maybe someone here knows or is a CFI who could help you out.

And at some FBOs if you ask to see the actual insurance policy, not just some vague assurances that they say things are covered, they’ll scratch their heads and say “It’s around here somewhere...”
Not having it available for inspection often walks hand-in-hand with its kissin' cousin, not having a clue what it says. But not understanding them is far more extensive. I did a program years ago for CFIs on FBO and owner insurance policies, with examples from a few FBOs.

Kinda what I was thinking; 174 hours and still not there? Might be time to move on to something else...

Not necessarily, I met a guy who had bought an airplane, was at 90 hours dual and solo, and was told he was no where near ready for a check ride, this after a year and a half. He changed schools, worked with another instructor, not too many more hours, and got his license.

Kinda what I was thinking; 174 hours and still not there? Might be time to move on to something else...

Again, multiple starts, multiple CFIs, significant timeframe, it’s not unreasonable.

Best advice I can give is this provided you have the time and money.

1. Talk to the DEP and any past CFI
2. Get established with CFI that you are sure will be readily available for a 3 to 4 week period.
3. Schedule your next check ride for 3 to 4 weeks from now.
4. Fly as much as possible over the next 3 to 4 weeks then immediately take checkride. Meaning you are flying at least 3 times per week for that time period.

I know this is not easy to do, and my require taking a few days off work, or cutting back on work for 3 or so weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I found two great CFIs through the Gleim site. Both had been on forever also. I interviewed both multiple times; treat it like you would an important hire for your organization.

@RoadRunner Did you say ballpark where you live? Maybe someone here knows or is a CFI who could help you out.

Apologies, but I hesitate to specify location to avoid appearance of blaming specific CFIs or schools. I sincerely think this is my own mismanagement of the process, abetted by naivety regarding the realities of our pilot training system. The flight school/leaseback equipment/timebuilder CFI ecosystem has not worked for me in the way its worked fine for others. I'm east coast.

Fair enough, but no. I enjoy it too much to quit. I've been amazed at how much fun it is just as intellectual exercise learning about the physics of flight, systems of aircraft, airspace, communications. Especially surprised at how engaging it is to learn some meteorology. I've also been doing this across a timeframe of an explosion of innovation: sites like Windy/wunderground, devices like the Foreflight/stratus. I almost quit a couple years ago wondering what would be the practical application of all this, but then took 4-5 hours of aerobatics, and was really hooked. So thanks, but I'll carry on!

Best advice I can give is this provided you have the time and money.

1. Talk to the DEP and any past CFI
2. Get established with CFI that you are sure will be readily available for a 3 to 4 week period.
3. Schedule your next check ride for 3 to 4 weeks from now.
4. Fly as much as possible over the next 3 to 4 weeks then immediately take checkride. Meaning you are flying at least 3 times per week for that time period.
I know this is not easy to do, and my require taking a few days off work, or cutting back on work for 3 or so weeks.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The DPE this last time around has been a prince, and really helpful. The rescheduling is the real killer. I basically did what you described on a rolling basis since the last test sign off Feb 2. Departing CFIs, wx (lotsa nor-easters this year!), equipment downtime, then throw in a few family emergencies, a holiday or two and it's 60+ days trickle by.

The new approach I'm landing on is: a) take a couple weeks in a stable weather belt like TX with American Flyers; or b) locate a private CFI preferably with a Diamond and design a course of completion just for me.

The new approach I'm landing on is: a) take a couple weeks in a stable weather belt like TX with American Flyers; or b) locate a private CFI preferably with a Diamond and design a course of completion just for me.

I think you’ll find success using that route. And then carefully think about how you’ll stay current and proficient. Plan that out and book it or it won’t happen. :)

Let us know how it’s going.

I'm happy to show anyone my insurance policy. That being said just because my insurance company allows it does not mean I allow it, IE non-employee CFIs instructing in my airplanes.

I'm happy to show anyone my insurance policy. That being said just because my insurance company allows it does not mean I allow it, IE non-employee CFIs instructing in my airplanes.

Yup. All sorts of variants on this theme. :)

The other gotcha in these is the named insured is made whole (the club/aircraft owner) but the CFI can be subrogated against by the insurance company for their loss on some policies.

The fine print is important.

Thanks everyone for all the reactions and opinions. I've been on web forums since before Mosaic debuted and you're all especially generous offering authentic reactions to a first time pseudonymous poster. (you can see by my join date however that i'm a longtime lurker; I signed up after my third lesson) And that's a lot of responses.
A couple of reactions to replies, and some more thoughts:
  • I agree with the sentiment that I, and only I, am ultimately responsible for a) passing the test; b) achieving/maintaining proficiency thereafter. I have a plan for the latter that involves buying a Cirrus for business travel, and hiring a safety pilot/CFI.
  • I failed my check ride last Thursday, and was pretty depressed about it. I probably shouldn't have posted, but my frustration levels had really peaked. I was signed off for this ride Feb 2, but was delayed by departure of CFI #4 to the airlines, 3-4 weeks later, departure of CFI #5 to the airlines, then the DA40 went down for a long repair ('should be about 1 week,' for 4 weeks). CFI #6 like every instructor previously, wants at least 4-5 hours of flight time to sign off for IACRAA. The DA20 took 5-6 hours to acquaint with Avionics, power settings, etc. All orientation time I should've been spent drilling fundamentals. During this time, my medical expired, along with my pre-April '16 student pilot certificate. 2 AMEs cancelled appointments, and in the scramble to book a third, missed a few flying days in countdown to test.
  • I should've DQ'd myself from taking the test, but I was worried about the abrasion on the DPE, who I'd scheduled then cancelled 4-5 times over the prior 2 months.
  • So to summarize: I have no CFI right now, the school will assign a new one, and I'll hit a reset with a brand new person. Again. My written expires the end of this month, so first hurdle will be to retake that. April is jammed with business travel that i pushed out of the late Jan/Feb calendar to clear it for test prep and flying. (I've done 27 hours in 2018, which is a 100hr/yr. pace) I have 60 days to retake test with current DPE. I'd love to de-risk the outcome of that as much as possible, but if I can't make the deadline, need an ironclad Plan B.
When I first read your post, I had a few suggestions, but then after reading this response you posted, I can see some glaring reasons why you've been having this challenge. First thing I'd like to say to you is congrats! and screw some of the comments some people posted here. You're almost there. I can totally relate to some of the things you mentioned. Having ran a business myself during my training, you see that one of the first shocker you realized was your time commitment. I underestimated mine as well, but I pulled through. So here are my suggestions.

Suggestion #1 - You need to take charge of your own training even if that means switching schools or getting a private CFI. And stick with the same person until checkride. Like you and many other students, the worst thing we all did was leave our fate at the hands of the schools. And these guys may be there to help but as You've already realized, schools thrive off of you flying more, and most CFIs are only there to build there own time for the airliners.

Suggestion #2 - As you reboot for another go @ checkride. Make it consistent this time. By that I mean your time commitment (fly at least 3-4 days a week consistently). And have some days that you only dedicate to GROUND. Work with your CFI or other pilots. Meet outside of school if you can, buy them lunch, whatever you have to do.

Suggestion #3 - DO NOT change aircrafts again. Even if it's the same year, model or make. Make sure that whatever aircraft you start training with is the same aircraft you ride into checkride. Don't change that airplane at any point. This also means that you have to be on top of scheduling the aircraft ahead of time.

Suggestion #4 - Weather will likely play a big role in your training. So try and stay on top of weather too. Not sure where you are but say for example if there's a time of the year where you have more rain, clouds or thunderstorms, then save your money and just focus on ground work. Wait until all the gloomy weather passes and get back in the air.

Suggestion #5 - I'm repeating myself here; You're almost there. Make sure you finish!

Here are some materials I made on this topic. Perhaps you can get more help there. Feel free to inbox me if there's anything I can help with.

My checkride notes - https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...eckride-notes-from-2016-hope-it-helps.109685/

10 Rules Student Pilots Can Use To Pass A Checkride Exam

5 Different Ways Flight Schools Cheat Their Students

Last edited:
Suggestion #1 - You need to take charge of your own training even if that means switching schools or getting a private CFI. And stick with the same person until checkride. Like you and many other students, the worst thing we all did was leave our fate at the hands of the schools. And these guys may be there to help but as You've already realized, schools thrive off of you flying more, and most CFIs are only there to build there own time for the airliners.

Suggestion #2 - As you reboot for another go @ checkride. Make it consistent this time. By that I mean your time commitment (fly at least 3-4 days a week consistently). And have some days that you only dedicate to GROUND. Work with your CFI or other pilots. Meet outside of school if you can, buy them lunch, whatever you have to do.

Suggestion #3 - DO NOT change aircrafts again. Even if it's the same year, model or make. Make sure that whatever aircraft you start training with is the same aircraft you ride into checkride. Don't change that airplane at any point. This also means that you have to be on top of scheduling the aircraft ahead of time.

Suggestion #4 - Weather will likely play a big role in your training. So try and stay on top of weather too. Not sure where you are but say for example if there's a time of the year where you have more rain, clouds or thunderstorms, then save your money and just focus on ground work. Wait until all the gloomy weather passes and get back in the air.

Suggestion #5 - I'm repeating myself here; You're almost there. Make sure you finish!

Just to close out this thread I started: I passed my retest on Friday, so now with 200 hours and almost five years later, I've passed 'step one' in becoming a real pilot! I'm quoting this last post since I basically followed this advice to the letter: booked two solid weeks of no business travel, reserved the airplane every single day to maximize wx uptime, sought out independant CFIs (but found a new guy at our school who is active Navy pilot), booked two dates for checkride to minimize WX risk, drilled the parts I failed, reverted to the DA40 I've mostly trained in.
I stand by my earlier expressed frustration at the general flight school attitude which just does not sufficiently support the novice pilot. Yes, the prospective pilot needs to 'take charge' of the process, but the flight schools could do much much more in defining and communicating the process to be managed. If I had it to do all over again I would absolutely book a month or two at a dedicated flight school in the Southwest.

Thanks again for all the opinions and especially for the offline offers of help and encouragement. I am approaching my next hurdle, instrument, with a far more informed perspective that will drive a more efficient outcome I hope!

Just to close out this thread I started: I passed my retest on Friday, so now with 200 hours and almost five years later, I've passed 'step one' in becoming a real pilot! I'm quoting this last post since I basically followed this advice to the letter: booked two solid weeks of no business travel, reserved the airplane every single day to maximize wx uptime, sought out independant CFIs (but found a new guy at our school who is active Navy pilot), booked two dates for checkride to minimize WX risk, drilled the parts I failed, reverted to the DA40 I've mostly trained in.
I stand by my earlier expressed frustration at the general flight school attitude which just does not sufficiently support the novice pilot. Yes, the prospective pilot needs to 'take charge' of the process, but the flight schools could do much much more in defining and communicating the process to be managed. If I had it to do all over again I would absolutely book a month or two at a dedicated flight school in the Southwest.

Thanks again for all the opinions and especially for the offline offers of help and encouragement. I am approaching my next hurdle, instrument, with a far more informed perspective that will drive a more efficient outcome I hope!

Congratulations, working on the IR myself, it's been fun so far, lot of work though.

Back