Anyone want a Lancair 320?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
IMG_1792.jpg

"1995 Lancair 320 Lot # 1 approximately 760 total hrs on the plane. approximately 20hrs on the engine since major overhaul. New prop. We are told the engine has had upgrades and is more like a 360. As of now we have not located the log books. If they are found we will update. Plane has been sitting in a hanger for approximately 5yrs and is out of annual. plane was airworthy when parked. We have had an aircraft mechanic start the plane and it runs."

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=139688

honestly, if it goes for the current price, it'd be one hell of a deal for the right buyer..even without the logbooks.

If it weren't in California I'd jump at that price. Might be tempted even if it is. Always wanted one of those.

honestly, if it goes for the current price, it'd be one hell of a deal for the right buyer..even without the logbooks.

For only 6k, you got lots of room.

Ofcourse this isn't for the drop it off at the big name shop and call me when it's done type.

Last edited:
What's involved in disassembling a Lancair for transport? Can the wings be removed easily?

There is some equipment in the plane that looks up to date for 6 years ago. Bet it was pretty well cared for.

What's involved in disassembling a Lancair for transport? Can the wings be removed easily?
I have done it on mine. Having never done it before, it was a 1 day job. The second time was around 2-3 hours. You need a helper to assist in pulling the wings.

It appears as if this plane was owned by Lanceair......

http://www.company-histories.com/Lancair-International-Inc-Company-History.html

In 1992, Neibauer relocated his company from Santa Paula, California, to the town of Redmond in eastern Oregon. The operation had outgrown its southern California site; Redmond was chosen from among 200 candidates. Lancair at first employed 20 people at the new 27,000-square-foot plant next to Roberts Field. The company was incorporated as Lancair International, Incorporated. Another unit, Neico Aviation Inc., was created to market the planes.

Thats at my home field!... Need to go find it and take a look...

Hmmmm.... aren't these things experimental.???

Get it for 10K or so, inspect and repair as needed to build new log books. Do the work yourself. Seems someone could get a fairly good deal.

You guys do know how online auctions go, right? Weeks and days out, people get excited by the super low bids and how they might get something for nothing. Then some of these people start fantasizing about all the wonderful things they'll do with this awesome bargain find. Then about one minute to 30 seconds to the auction close, the real bidding starts. Then in the last 10 seconds or so the item shoots well beyond what it's worth. That's because some have so much emotionally invested at this point as well as some just being competitive and wanting "to win".

Just be careful. Establish a number that is the absolute maximum you would pay for this plane now when you're calm. That is your hard out. Don't get attached the plane and walk away when hard out number is reached. I have seen too many people pay way too much.

Just be careful. Establish a number that is the absolute maximum you would pay for this plane now when you're calm. That is your hard out. Don't get attached the plane and walk away when hard out number is reached. I have seen too many people pay way too much.

Don’t tell me how to live my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll see your nope and raise you a hell no.

Why?

So someone buys it, maybe spends a couple bucks getting it all squared up, paints it pretty, makes a cool for sale webpage for it, you'll pay 10x more?

Same plane, I really don't see the big deal on why it's such a horrible thing?

I really don't see the big deal on why it's such a horrible thing?
My guess is, fear of the unknown. Surprising in a group that flies small planes around the country in all sorts of conditions. Usually there is a loss from unfounded fears. Not to criticize, just an observation. If one could get past the paperwork issues on that 320, it would really interest me!

Don’t know how online auction works, but you have to buy it with no prebuy?

Don't forget that buyer premium..... Horse shoot if you ask me! Charging the buyer 15% for the privilege of buying? F you pal...... Homeaway and VRBO also double dip at the renters loss just to pad their pockets. Privilege tax. Nothing more.

Don’t know how online auction works, but you have to buy it with no prebuy?

This correct. If you travel to see it, one of the auction employees might remove the top cowl for you. That's about it. I doubt they would even start it for you. Chances are they don't know how and they don't want yu messing with it. They actually don't want you knowing much about the plane. It's better for the auctioneers if the bidders simply think, or imagine what they are getting.

Having said this, I have never participated in an airplane auction, but I have done several online equipment auctions.

Don't forget that buyer premium..... Horse shoot if you ask me! Charging the buyer 15% for the privilege of buying? F you pal...... Homeaway and VRBO also double dip at the renters loss just to pad their pockets. Privilege tax. Nothing more.

Yabut, yabut, yabut... yer getting the plane so cheap!! Right?

I finally went to the auction site and looked at the pictures. One would think that for a 15% "buyers premium" that they could actually provide quality, hi res, in focus and right side up pictures!! :mad2: But like I said, they really don't want you knowing much about this plane. Notice no undercarriage pictures, or engine pictures.

You should buy it.

It's already gone up since he posted that. I predict that this plane will sell for just about what you can typically buy an older Lancair 320 for on the open market and that the buyer will be doing so without a pre-buy, without any meaningful inspection, without seeing the engine run and without logs. I predict that because of the kind of plane it is, this one will get emotional. The real bidding starts at about one hour to close.

I would say 10k is about all it's worth and thats a gamble. It could end up needing an overhaul and every hydraulic and fuel system component needs to be gone through. You could end up with 30-40k in it real quick if you aren't careful. Or you could get lucky and only have 12-15k in it.

I would say 10k is about all it's worth and thats a gamble. It could end up needing an overhaul and every hydraulic and fuel system component needs to be gone through. You could end up with 30-40k in it real quick if you aren't careful. Or you could get lucky and only have 12-15k in it.

Yep, but I bet it sells well north of $10,000. Heck, the engine and the prop alone on the used market as is would likely get you over $10,000. I bet it sells closer to $40-50,000. I could be wrong, maybe airplane buyers are wiser than average equipment buyers.

Yep, but I bet it sells well north of $10,000. Heck, the engine and the prop alone on the used market as is would likely get you over $10,000. I bet it sells closer to $40-50,000. I could be wrong, maybe airplane buyers are wiser than average equipment buyers.
I dont think an engine and propeller with no logs that has been sitting will fetch 10k. But yes you are almost always better off parting planes like this out.

I dont think an engine and propeller with no logs that has been sitting will fetch 10k. But yes you are almost always better off parting planes like this out.

This engine and prop is exactly the kind many RV kit builders are looking for. They are always in demand and many of those guys are looking for bargains. I would imagine that a thorough examination would satisfy them more than some old logbooks would, but admittedly, that is a bargaining chip they will use to beat the price down a bit. I would bet that some of the people bidding on this are looking exactly at it's value in parts. They will drop out quickly as the folks that dream of actually flying this plane themselves bid up and up.

This engine and prop is exactly the kind many RV kit builders are looking for. They are always in demand and many of those guys are looking for bargains. I would imagine that a thorough examination would satisfy them more than some old logbooks would, but admittedly, that is a bargaining chip they will use to beat the price down a bit. I would bet that some of the people bidding on this are looking exactly at it's value in parts. They will drop out quickly as the folks that dream of actually flying this plane themselves bid up and up.

Scrap a lancair to build a RV :idea:

Several years ago I bid on a 402 that was a repo without log books. Someone started to rebuild the logs with new rebuilt engines and props, then it was repo'ed again.

The seller had it in the auction that the winning bidder had the right to perform a pre-buy and then refuse the plane if the plane did not meet their satisfaction. Something like 1.5 to 2% of the winning bid would be retained by the auction company if the plane was refused.

I bid 30K and I think it went for about 37,500.

The same auction had a 172RG with high times. The winning bid was for more than it was worth.

That's awful low hours on a 24 year old airplane - was someone afraid to fly it?

Most RV guys would probably say "Hell yeah!" The point was really more about the idea of somebody buying it just to part it out and where those parts would likely go.

I hear ya, just seems silly to part out a nice airframe

It would be like buying a 911 with no damage and low miles, pulling its engine and scraping it, only to install the engine in the VW bug.

I hear ya, just seems silly to part out a nice airframe

It would be like buying a 911 with no damage and low miles, pulling its engine and scraping it, only to install the engine in the VW bug.

It would be a shame, I seriously doubt that will happen. Like I posted earlier, I predict the parts scroungers and the flippers will fall out quickly as the bids climb. Quickly there will be no return on their investment. I'm convinced a more exotic plane like this will generate emotion and desire way more than if it were a nice Cherokee 140, or something. I think it will fetch a nice price, likely more than a rational person would spend and do think it will fly again.

Back