My Airplane Purchase Quest

One of the things I liked about buying my Mooney was talking to the crew at Mooneyspace. There were folks who knew the aircraft, and a former owner (not the guy selling the aircraft) chimed in very positively. The whole thing was a very positive experience save the first flight where the CFI didn’t know how to work the Johnson bar.

I read about y'all struggling to find a decent airplane to buy, and it makes me think back 35 years ago when my father was looking for a used Skyhawk. I was thinking how he didn't have nearly the difficulties I hear about today, and then I realized what the problem is. It's that so many of you are trying to buy the same airframes that were around back then. Not the same type of airframes, but the exact same airframes that were available in 1981. No wonder so many of them are beat to (fecal matter), these things are ancient.

I read about y'all struggling to find a decent airplane to buy, and it makes me think back 35 years ago when my father was looking for a used Skyhawk. I was thinking how he didn't have nearly the difficulties I hear about today, and then I realized what the problem is. It's that so many of you are trying to buy the same airframes that were around back then. Not the same type of airframes, but the exact same airframes that were available in 1981. No wonder so many of them are beat to (fecal matter), these things are ancient.

Just because an airplane is old doesn’t mean it’s best to crap.

I am the caretaker for 3 ancient aeroplanes: an 85 year old, a 77 year old and a 58 year old. They are hardly beat to crap.

No but the odds are much higher that it’ll be crap each year.

My airplane is only younger than myself by a few years and my hair has all turned white. Granted my hair was destined to do that, dad’s started turning white at 35 and I wasn’t far off of that.

Point is, they’re old enough if they were on the road, they’d have collector license plates on them. And some have seen a lot of miles.

No but the odds are much higher that it’ll be crap each year.

My airplane is only younger than myself by a few years and my hair has all turned white. Granted my hair was destined to do that, dad’s started turning white at 35 and I wasn’t far off of that.

Point is, they’re old enough if they were on the road, they’d have collector license plates on them. And some have seen a lot of miles.

That is just the reality of general aviation. Lets face it.... Newer aircraft are out of reach financially for many which is why LSA is popular. And still, that is a reach for many. The price keeps going up for these older planes

Noted...

But wait, the Yankee is slower than what? Not a 150 or 152 and definitely faster than a Skyhawk all on 6 gph. If I pass on the Mooney now, at least Ill have something that reportedly, flies like one. :confused:

The Tecnam P-92 is faster than a Skyhawk. So is the Remos, CT, LS-1, Sport Cruiser........ Hmmmm. I'm seeing a pattern here.

The Tecnam P-92 is faster than a Skyhawk. So is the Remos, CT, LS-1, Sport Cruiser........ Hmmmm. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Me too. If my budget was that of a used P-92, I would go ahead and get that old Mooney instead.

Just because an airplane is old doesn’t mean it’s best to crap.

I am the caretaker for 3 ancient aeroplanes: an 85 year old, a 77 year old and a 58 year old. They are hardly beat to crap.

Certainly there are some older airplanes in spectacular shape. However, entropy tends to have its way, particularly if your airplane sits outside,and there are lots of places in this country where hangars are scarce and expensive.

Low time and older rebuild I’d be concerned about rust on cylinders and cam. Don’t ask how I know this one.

Batting 1000. Seller called me on the eve of my travel to let me know he has come down with an illness that will keep him down for a week or so. And so it continues

I think the 4th time is a charm. In contract on a Cherokee 140. FAA inspector owned who has put 30K in it over the 4 year he owned it. 1620 SMOH, 90 STOH and 50 on prop. Owner says paint 7 interior 6. Its going into pre-buy/annual this week, then I should be able to head up in 2-weeks week and get her.

PIper_C5_Fotor.jpg

I looked at a lot of turds before I found a decent plane. Took about 6 months. As hard as it is, don’t get attached before or during the prebuy. Better to waste $500 and say no thanks than buy a plane needing $20k of work.

You are going about it the right way. And good luck! Always loved Cherokees.

Hope the A&P rolls a good perception check on your prebuy. Did you ask his WIS stat before going with him?

Wow...... Is all I can say. The experience will be one I remember for the rest of my life. It has been a life long dream to have a plane to call 'mine'. I've only been an owner 3 days now and it feels awesome.

I took the Southwest bird from BNA to MSP last Tuesday. Stayed the night at MSP then drove a rental the 65 miles down to Owatonna MN where the plane was going through annual, including the address of SB1006. The plan could not have worked out better. I arrived at Langer aviation, and met owner, mechanic and jack of all trades Brent Langer who was finishing up the ELT battery installation. We talked a good bit about the plane as he has been her wrench for the last 4 years under then current owner. We went over her head to toe. With the bulkhead out for the ELT work, I got a good look at the airframe tube and it was sweet as molasses. I paid bills for a period working as a structural sheet metal mechanic for the Navy and have seen my share of airframes and this Cherokee was impressive.

After reviewing the logs and going over the plane, I called the owner and told him I'm ready for a test flight, The owner is a FAA Inspector with a host of ratings so the test flight also served as a checkout to meet my insurance requirements. Winds were 22 knots with a 25/30 degree crosswind component. The flight went well. Funds were dispatched, and by 1600, I was airborne for Bloomington Illinois for the night. Foreflight showed 292 miles with a nice 12kt tailwind, 2 hrs 29 minutes en-route. She took 20.3 gallons from the fine folks at Synergy Aviation then it was off to the hotel. A few celebratory brews at Buffalo Wild wings ended one of the most epic days of my life

Next morning I was off at 0830 for home plate in Dickson TN. 270 miles. 2 1/2 hours later I landed to find the wife and my brother waiting. As I shut her down, out comes the airport rats. An old Piper rep, local mechanic etc, as they were intrigued by the original paint scheme

Great trip home!

Hanger Shot.jpg

My First Plane.jpg
Dash.jpg

Congratulations! Lifting off the ground for the very first time in your OWN airplane ranks up there with first solo.

My first airplane was a Cherokee (not as nice looking as yours) and I flew that thing everywhere, including two 2400 nm round trips to OSH.

Enjoy!

Nice airplane... Its funny as I started skimming through the thread I was going to comment on "Why not a 140!" I have part ownership in one with a 160HP/Powerflow STC and a cruise prop. Just out of overhaul shes indicating close to 115 in cruise. Great do everything airplane in my opinion, aside from that pesky C Of G.

Nice airplane... Its funny as I started skimming through the thread I was going to comment on "Why not a 140!" I have part ownership in one with a 160HP/Powerflow STC and a cruise prop. Just out of overhaul shes indicating close to 115 in cruise. Great do everything airplane in my opinion, aside from that pesky C Of G.
Thanks. I'm seeing ~108 kts @2450 rpm at 3.5K. Today I had her pulled back to 2300. Pic from today flying up to Princeton Ky. Flew my bro over his lake house on Lake Barkley then went for pizza at Pagliai’s in Princeton. For the SE crew, it is run by folks from Chicago and is the real deal. 2M0

Piper.jpg

I've always heard that when buying something used, it's all about condition and not the make and model. Looks like you got a really nice bird there. It was worth the wait.

Thanks. I'm seeing ~108 kts @2450 rpm at 3.5K. Today I had her pulled back to 2300. Pic from today flying up to Princeton Ky. Flew my bro over his lake house on Lake Barkley then went for pizza at Pagliai’s in Princeton. For the SE crew, it is run by folks from Chicago and is the real deal. 2M0

View attachment 62784
Nice...and as a reference, my '66 140 (we are 204 serial numbers apart, but for some reason mine, N4161J, has a higher serial number but lower N number, even though it is technically a '66) has mods to the hilt, and I don't see much better than 108 at 2450.

Certainly there are some older airplanes in spectacular shape. However, entropy tends to have its way, particularly if your airplane sits outside,and there are lots of places in this country where hangars are scarce and expensive.

Sort of. Entropy will have a different experience chipping away at an Ercoupe or Cessna C175 (both of which may have sat abandoned for a dog's age - or two) than it has on a Beech Staggerwing.

Back