1.25% chance of dying before 1500 hours?

OK, If he is concerned maybe he should find something else to do.

If you think that risk is bad, try looking up the risk of being killed jugging chain saws. Sheesh!

At 50ish hours a year it will take me a long time to get to 1500 so I think I am good. o_O

That runs contrary to the theory that aliens beamed up Amelia and her plane.
As specified in the agreement Amelia and her plane will be returned when they are finished probing.

A micromort is a useful way to weigh relative risks. It is a chance out of a million of dying. Each day you wake up you have around 20-25 micromorts on your counter before you get out of bed. Run a marathon? Add 26 micromorts. Walk 17 miles or drive 230 miles? Add a micromort.

Here is a table of micromorts, but cannot find flying small planes. Any actuaries out there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromort

I read the post, and the math looks good to me, except that I calculate a 1.5% chance (not 1.25% chance) in 1500 hours. Doesn't matter, though, because there's some guesswork in one of the inputs anyway, as mentioned by the author: while we know exactly how many fatalities there are in a year in the fleet, we don't know exactly how many flying hours there were in the fleet, so it's just a guess when he starts the calculation with "1 accident per 100,000 flight hour"

Last edited:
Depends on how many hours per year you fly. If you only fly 15 hours per year, you are almost guaranteed to die before you get to 1500 hours.
On the other hand, if you are flying full time, chances are you will make it past 1500.

No one makes it out of life alive, biggest risk people take is not taking risks.

Frankly I find having a bad diet, or poor breeding much more of a risk than flying a plane.

Does that mean don’t sleep with crazy women?

Yup if I die in a plane; Know All Men By These Presents...it's something I accept could happen and willingly accept the risk for the joy.
No one is permitted to bemoan or hand-wring (except what I did to the craft).
Likewise, I'll smack anyone who says "He died doing what he loved"!

You have a 22% chance of dying from cancer. Screw that, I’m going flying.

1500 hours?
I guess I've been on borrowed time for decades.

That

I've only been flying for about decade, but I'm 1500 about 3 times over, had a few moments though lol

The safest place for a plane (and its pilot) is in the hangar. But that is not why planes (and their pilots) exist.

Tell that to the hangar that was destroyed last week ... microburst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back