Ladies and Gentlemen...

Hippike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hippike
...POA's newly minted private pilot is joining the gang here :D

Today I passed my check ride!!!!!

To those of you who've been here, no explanation necessary, you know/remember how awesome/otherworldly/incredible this feels.

To those of you who are working towards it, here's my two cents:

- if your instructor says you are ready, you are ready. Trust him, he knows better and is smarter than you ;)
- if you go on your last solo flight the day before your check ride and you grease those landings and you shout out loud "beautiful", you are ready. Even though, the next day, you will surely screw up a few things and the check ride maybe the worst flying you ever do, but if you believe you are ready and you want it hard enough, it will come.

Heck, 3 weeks prior to my CR, I already composed the post that I was going to put on my FB page, because
1) I knew I was going to pass and
2) I knew once I pass I will be too exhausted to type and post

On days when my mind got weak and started wondering about 'what if I fail', I just quickly snapped out of it and went to study some more. I did not want to give a reason to the DPE to fail me on the oral. Failing on the oral is the worst that can happen because it's proof that you don't want it hard enough. You may get a brain fart and forget about things like: what happens to the altimeter if your static gets blocked - what do you see in level flight? (hint: nothing unusual, until you start climbing/descending), but if you start drawing a schematic of the pitot static system/instruments to your DPE, he will see that you know your stuff and will help you out. He doesn't want you to fail. If you stumble at the 'CG aft heavy' part he will hand you a model aircraft and you can play with it and figure out what's up with that aft CG. He doesn't want you to fail.

Now, the flight portion is part skills and part something else...

Yesterday I spent 2.5 hours in the pattern drilling those landings in zero wind conditions on the runway that we use 80% of the time. This morning airport was using the other runway and winds were 15G22. We went to the practice area and I haven't really grasped the fact that I am flying on my CR, he started giving me maneuvers: power on/off stalls, steep turn to the right, Approach called out a traffic so we rolled wings level, he said start the steep to the left, completed about half way, he said climbing stall in 20 degree turn. What? Where are we? What are we doing? Are you actually testing me? My controls - OMG, did I fail? Here, put your foggles on. OK, that's the first time I could catch a breath and collect myself. Eyes closed, head down, roller-coaster, now recover. Did that twice. Good, now take make to Santa Monica. Little relief as SMO used to be my home drome. I thought to myself, this is it, I can still salvage this, I will show him a good landing, oh look, there is an aircraft on the runway, go around... jeez man, gimme a break :eek:

Back to VNY, show me a no flap touch and go with a soft field take off. A what? How? How do I do any kind of take off (other than normal) after a touch and go. Well, figure it out!
At this point >>I failed<< crossed my mind so many times that I stopped counting. He helped again: what's a short field? Well, it's flaps 10 and nose up. OK, do that. Like it's the easiest thing to do.
And the funny thing is, I did it.

I know it's easy to blame it on the wind, but I was all over the place, TPA was off +/- 100, sometimes more, speed unreadable (at least I wasn't comprehending it) but I was flying the bloody airplane! :D

I nailed the SOB final short field landing and put it smack in the middle of the stripe where I said I would but when he said exit at the next and taxi back, I knew that was the end and I started to sink into hell at the thought of failure... Never once remembering the most important thing he told me at the very beginning: "If you fail, I will tell you immediately and we stop". Well, he never said that!

He took control during the taxi back and gave me a ton of notes, advice, recommendations that I can/should do better in the future. After shut down he got out, offered a handshake and said congratulation. I actually asked back: "did I pass?" ...duh...

Happiest day of my life!

Last edited:
Congrats Pilot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now get out there and do some flyin' :cool: :blueplane:

Awesomeness! I want to be you when I grow up! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats,time to go enjoy your flying.

Congratulations, good luck in the future, be safe.

Now go to a bar, walk up to the hottest babe in there and say ”I’m a pilot, let’s go back to my place”.

Oh, ditto what @timwinters said about our lack of gentlemen.

I didn't pass my first time. Once that examiner pulled the throttle on take-off and I started to turn for a clearing just to the left, I was done. He said "Always go straight ahead". I then climbed to 500' and turned right instead of left. I went around 3 times in a 720 and was lost on the short cross country segment. When we landed he told me that the best part was my performance on the cross country. He said, "I know you can fly because you wouldn't be here if you couldn't. Come back next week and we will try again." The next week I went once around the pattern and passed.

The flunk was a good thing for me and the examiner knew it. To this day I know to go straight and crash under control rather than stall trying to get somewhere that I can't get too. I knew how to operate the plane. That day I learned about adjusting to glitches and keep flying. That was in a Cessna 150 and I was 17. I stopped flying in my early 20's and took a 38-year break to raise a family. When I got back into flying I worked in a tandem plane. A year or so ago I got a ride in a 152 and thought to myself, how did I manage in this cramped cockpit. I am a bit bigger now...not in height. I bought a 1/2 share of that tandem plane and love to sit alone with the great views out the front and sides. Then I ordered a second plane and it has a roomy and a wonderfully comfortable single cockpit for me to enjoy flights. And when the mains leave the ground I usually have an idea of where I will put her down if the engine quits.

Thank you Donald Schwanda!

Hey, congratulations!

I'm gettin' mine next!

Pure Gold! Congratulations on the new Private Ticket and thanks for the DPE story! Always nice to see someone having success. Luv it. :)

Congrats.

But you suggested that we are Ladies and Gentlemen so we’ll have to meet up sometime and remove that vision of civility from your brain. :)

...POA's newly minted private pilot is joining the gang here :D

To those of you who've been here, no explanation necessary, you know/remember how awesome/otherworldly/incredible this feels.

To those of you who are working towards it, here's my two cents:

- if your instructor says you are ready, you are ready. Trust him, he knows better and is smarter than you ;)
- if you go on your last solo flight the day before your check ride and you grease those landings and you shout out loud "beautiful", you are ready. Even though, the next day, you will surely screw up a few things and the check ride maybe the worst flying you ever do, but if you believe you are ready and you want it hard enough, it will come.

Heck, 3 weeks prior to my CR, I already composed the post that I was going to put on my FB page, because
1) I knew I was going to pass and
2) I knew once I pass I will be too exhausted to type and post

On days when my mind got weak and started wondering about 'what if I fail', I just quickly snapped out of it and went to study some more. I did not want to give a reason to the DPE to fail me on the oral. Failing on the oral is the worst that can happen because it's proof that you don't want it hard enough. You may get a brain fart and forget about things like: what happens to the ASI if your static gets blocked - what do you see in level flight? (hint: nothing unusual, until you start climbing/descending), but if you start drawing a schematic of the pitot static system/instruments to your DPE, he will see that you know your stuff and will help you out. He doesn't want you to fail. If you stumble at the 'CG aft heavy' part he will hand you a model aircraft and you can play with it and figure out what's up with that aft CG. He doesn't want you to fail.

Now, the flight portion is part skills and part something else...

Yesterday I spent 2.5 hours in the pattern drilling those landings in zero wind conditions on the runway that we use 80% of the time. This morning airport was using the other runway and winds were 15G22. We went to the practice area and I haven't really grasped the fact that I am flying on my CR, he started giving me maneuvers: power on/off stalls, steep turn to the right, Approach called out a traffic so we rolled wings level, he said start the steep to the left, completed about half way, he said climbing stall in 20 degree turn. What? Where are we? What are we doing? Are you actually testing me? My controls - OMG, did I fail? Here, put your foggles on. OK, that's the first time I could catch a breath and collect myself. Eyes closed, head down, roller-coaster, now recover. Did that twice. Good, now take make to Santa Monica. Little relief as SMO used to be my home drome. I thought to myself, this is it, I can still salvage this, I will show him a good landing, oh look, there is an aircraft on the runway, go around... jeez man, gimme a break :eek:

Back to VNY, show me a no flap touch and go with a soft field take off. A what? How? How do I do any kind of take off (other than normal) after a touch and go. Well, figure it out!
At this point >>I failed<< crossed my mind so many times that I stopped counting. He helped again: what's a short field? Well, it's flaps 10 and nose up. OK, do that. Like it's the easiest thing to do.
And the funny thing is, I did it.

I know it's easy to blame it on the wind, but I was all over the place, TPA was off +/- 100, sometimes more, speed unreadable (at least I wasn't comprehending it) but I was flying the bloody airplane! :D

I nailed the SOB final short field landing and put it smack in the middle of the stripe where I said I would but when he said exit at the next and taxi back, I knew that was the end and I started to sink into hell at the thought of failure... Never once remembering the most important thing he told me at the very beginning: "If you fail, I will tell you immediately and we stop". Well, he never said that!

He took control during the taxi back and gave me a ton of notes, advice, recommendations that I can/should do better in the future. After shut down he got out, offered a handshake and said congratulation. I actually ask back: "did I pass?" ...duh...

Happiest day of my life!
Nicely done! I'm only 6 hrs into the training but I hope to nail mail the checkride like you did.
Congrats!

Great job and great write up! I remember thinking exactly the same thing on my checkride "am I passing this thing?"

Now go use your "license to learn" and have a terrific time!

After we climbed out of the 150 I took my CR in, I too wondered if I'd passed. He just went inside and started filling out a form. Never did say you passed or failed. I had to figure it out! DPE's please say "Congratulations Pilot" if your examinee passed - he/she would kinda like to know!

Congratulations @Hippike, it's quite the accomplishment. Are you contemplating ownership or going to stay a renter?

Congrats, what type plane did you fly in training and CR?
- C-172s (some N, some SP models)

Are you contemplating ownership or going to stay a renter?
- waiting for hubby to buy me one :p you see, every time we pick up a new hobby (shooting, motorcycle riding, R/C cars) he always buys the things needed for the hobby (guns, Harley, rc cars).... secretly hoping he will buy me a plane.... until that happens, I keep renting :D

Well then, I reckon all those guys who wanted you to walk into a bar and take some girl home with you are a little bit red faced.

Congratulations. You are licensed to learn. I recommend reading, The Killing Zone https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Zone-Second-How-Pilots/dp/0071798404
Congrats to the OP.
Well, in typical POA fashion, I'm going to disagree with you timbeck2...with your book recommendation. I thought this book was complete crud. The author uses downright horrible math to attempt to prove his point.

Congrats to the OP.
Well, in typical POA fashion, I'm going to disagree with you timbeck2...with your book recommendation. I thought this book was complete crud. The author uses downright horrible math to attempt to prove his point.

I never was very good at math. His point was made with me, horrible math or not.

Back