[NA]Solar pool heater tubing[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a 200' coil of 1/2" black plastic tubing which I will install in a box to collect heat from the afternoon sun and heat my pool.

Can I just throw the coils of tubing in the box or does each loop preferably need direct sunlight exposure, unshaded by coils on top?

Ie is it the radiant heat from the box walls that heats the coils or the sun's direct rays?
I have seen where people have gone to great pains to make perfect coils attached to the box bottom, only to have the weight of the water and the wilting heat in the box make the coils severely sag; so wondering if all that effort is necessary.

When I built a similar device, I set it up that the coils were directly heated. Painted the inside of the box black and topped it with clear acrylic to get serious greenhouse effect. Worked really well.

You want to get the radiant heat. You either let the sun shine directly on the tubes or you have to have something else collect the heat (a black cover on your box) and then something to efficiently transfer that heat to the tubing (air inside the box isn't going to be too efficient).

Ken's got the right strategy.

What to make a 3x3 box out of? Trying to keep it light. Wood is most available, easiest to work with but the heat and rain will deteriorate it quickly. Welded steel box would be ungainly. No access to aluminum welders.

I suppose it would need to be insulated to keep heat in.

As long as you got me started...

Remember that it will cool the pool as well if the water is circulating at night or when its cooler in the box than in the water. Plumb it to the pump so it shuts off at night, and hook up a valve as well.

And when it's not necessary in the summer, occasionally run water through it so what's in the line doesn't get nasty.

Sticker shock on the lexan. 1/4" 32x64" is $160.
Plexi of adequate thickness (hail) likewise
Safety glass is more.
Maybe I'll find a clear discarded shower door on craiglist.
Or, go with plastic sheet and change it after every storm.

Back