If it's broken may as well upgrade - A 310R upgrade story

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
Long story short the 430 died in our Cessna 310R. Being the true frugal aircraft owners my husband and I are, we decided to forgo the logical thing (repairing the 430W) and instead do everything to it we wanted and needed (ADSB).

This list:
Garmin GTN750 + Flightstream
Garmin GTX345
JPI 790
USB Charger

Before:
(The bottom radio has already been replaced since this photo)
18222364_10154284295276086_702200187982538544_n.jpg

Should take just a couple of weeks and we'll have a fabulously equipped R model. My goal is to go bother the avionics guy every couple days and take photos as the installation progresses. We didn't do it with the 182 and I'm bummed I don't have many progress pics so hopefully this will go better.

Less than 24 hours since it went into the shop and we already have a change.

The 430W will be repaired and placed back into the airplane as Com/nav 2. What's another $1200 at this point? *sigh*

Less than 24 hours since it went into the shop and we already have a change.

The 430W will be repaired and placed back into the airplane as Com/nav 2. What's another $1200 at this point? *sigh*

Heh, funny how that works. I've got my 172 lined up for a similar upgrade in July. GTN650 + GTX345, but would need a new indicator for the GTN650, so decided to just throw in a G5 HSI. Well, if I'm going to do that, why not a G5 AI? And if I do that, I can remove the vacuum system! So, yeah, 30 AMU later...

BTW, $1200 for repairing the 430W is money well spent, I think. I spent $1500 on repairing my KX155A, and that turned out to be money well spent, so $1200 on a full GPS navigator + NAVCOM seems a good buy. I'm retaining that radio with the GTN650, though the other KX155A that still has the EL display is going away.

Of course, there are now two new options since I signed the contract, the Aspen E5 and Dynon Skyview HDX, so I may requote.

I had the same cascade scenario when I was looking at some upgrades. The gyro for my hsi and rmi was going out. I thought about replacing them with a G5 but the G5 couldn't talk to the KX155 and they weren't sure if it would talk to the Stec 50 autopilot. If I upgraded the autopilot head I would have to upgrade the servos and mounting locations... Needless to say I have a newly serviced gyro..

How exactly did the 430W die?

Heh, funny how that works. I've got my 172 lined up for a similar upgrade in July. GTN650 + GTX345, but would need a new indicator for the GTN650, so decided to just throw in a G5 HSI. Well, if I'm going to do that, why not a G5 AI? And if I do that, I can remove the vacuum system! So, yeah, 30 AMU later...

BTW, $1200 for repairing the 430W is money well spent, I think. I spent $1500 on repairing my KX155A, and that turned out to be money well spent, so $1200 on a full GPS navigator + NAVCOM seems a good buy. I'm retaining that radio with the GTN650, though the other KX155A that still has the EL display is going away.

Of course, there are now two new options since I signed the contract, the Aspen E5 and Dynon Skyview HDX, so I may requote.
It is money well spent, we were going to repair it and sell it but what's the fun in that? This is the second 430 we've had die (We have a 182RG that we also did a 750 in when it happened) and that one was non-waas so we repaired and upgraded it and put it in the Warrior. Well, the 310 has a 24v electrical system so the 430 can't be repurposed into the 172 like we originally wanted (the Apollo GXa60 is going out in that....) But that'a alright! We're gonna have a sweet airplane that's incredibly capable and will finally have the radios it deserves. Sounds like you have a great 172, too! It sucks to put so much money into something and get little value from it but personally it's so nice to fly.

How exactly did the 430W die?

The coms side died. I was doing pattern work one day and it just.... stopped. Error message and all. RIP. That's the second one we've had die too... first one (182) just never found signal again. I think a lot of the units are just getting to be old.

Two? Geez you are hard on those poor things. ;)

I'd blame it on students but the two that have died have been in the planes that are flown mostly personally!!

I hear with twins there are 2 of everything to break.

I hear with twins there are 2 of everything to break.
Nah. The only parts doubled are the expensive ones. ;)
I think the very earliest of the 430 when first introduced were single voltage 28v.

I think you're right. I just know there are two versions. Both of mine that have died have been 28v. Hopefully now that they're both rebuilt and living happy lives they will stay operational.

Wiring inside should be completed today (no pics because there was actually a guy in it when I was there), the avionics themselves should be installed by early to middle of next week. The all that's left is the engine monitor (which will be mounted and the wires ran) will get hooked up/calibrated at our normal shop. Then we can go flying :D

30739502_2009275799334385_8755377080134270976_o.jpg

that JPI 930 (or whatever its twin version is named) is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

that JPI 930 (or whatever its twin version is named) is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
We are so excited to have accurate information finally on what's going on, especially in the training environment where they are put under more abuse than normal.

only half way there to full glass G500 panels.....:D

Noooooooo just stop! It's hard enough sinking $35k into an airplane worth $120k. We are planning on G5's when/if the vacuum instruments die.

We are so excited to have accurate information finally on what's going on, especially in the training environment where they are put under more abuse than normal.

Noooooooo just stop! It's hard enough sinking $35k into an airplane worth $120k. We are planning on G5's when/if the vacuum instruments die.
just think how much labor you will save by putting the G5's on now.... the panel is already out... wires are already dangling .... most labor for the G5 is running wires here and there

just think how much labor you will save by putting the G5's on now.... the panel is already out... wires are already dangling .... most labor for the G5 is running wires here and there
I would consider it except they are backordered until May, and I need to get this girl to work to pay for all this!

Since my wife is down here in phx with me at the moment, Rapid avionics sent me a picture of the progress.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_12-31-8.jpg
    upload_2018-4-24_12-31-8.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 111
Your stack will be identical to what I have planned, looking forward to feedback once you get it flying!

..so, to pay for all this, do you do specials in accelerated multi ratings? I need my ME addon asap :)

I don’t need a multi rating but would love to fly it and push buttons

I do multi ratings :D

Or if you just wanna fly around and push buttons that's an option too ;)

I think the C-310 design is the best-looking light twin in GA. Yours is made even better by that new panel - very cool!

Back