CFIs Voice In Absentia

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
In less than a few words- what is the one phrase that you remember your instructor saying almost every single time?

Mine was on base to final: “stay coordinated!”. Well dang it, I’m trying to keep my speed right, make sure I roll out aligned and don’t overshoot, and you want me to pay attention to that silly ball (cuz I lacked any seat of my pants...). Cmon man!

Any landing you away from is a good landing. He texts me last week that he had a loss of control on landing with blown tire. Told him any landing you walk away from is a good landing. He smiled.

"Fly your own airplane" When in the pattern and other people were doing dumb things.
"It's too rough to fly dual but you can fly solo if you want" :D

The same CFI I got my PP through also did my high perf and complex endorsements. The one thing from the complex endorsement training that sticks with me whenever I've flow a folding gear plane - "Mid field downwind - 3 green, base - 3 green, final - 3 green, short final - 3 green!" Remember this and act on it and you'll be like him - never had a gear up landing.

Some long ago I don't remember, 1974. I do recall him being from Louisiana (we were in Korea) and he was pretty low key. Said I held altitude and heading real well on my first flight.

Alright it's after 3:00 and I need a nap. Planting crap in the garden and yard wearing my arse out. I should go out to the airport and holler at students, much easier! :D

Last edited:
Hold my beer and watch this

Joking.

I can't think of anything catchy or super repetitive from my primary CFIs

My primary CFI was constantly telling me "keep the ball centered!" I guess everything else seemed more important than that to me. Altitude, direction, airspeed, RPM, watching for traffic...there was just too much to do.

Two most common

Him: you over shot final again... Me: I'm practicing my S-turns

Him: Altitude, Altitude... Me: It's broken again (altimeter)

I just hope Mark wasn't your CFI in that case because... well ... who knows what he might have been referring to.

I came close to being his CFI, but then he bought that fancy ass Cessna. :)

Nothing memorable from my private instructor (my dad); he was more one for tapping things like the carb heat on descent, the altimeter if I wandered off altitude, etc., but from my Tailwheel, Instrument, and commercial instructor:

“Altitude!”

said (on intercom only) every time ATC instructed someone to “Say Altitude”

Everytime ATC instructs me to “say altitude, it’s all I can do to not respond with “Allllll-ti-tuuude!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm.

“Let’s go commit flagrant acts of aviation...” after the pre-flight briefing.

“You going to log all of those?” Bounced landing.

“We need to figure out how to get your feet connected to your brain.” - Poor use of rudder.

“That was going great right up until that part where you screwed up!” - I don’t even remember what it was but we laughed really hard.

“I can see why they say depth perception on glassy water is hard. I’m using the ice chunks to see where the surface is...”
“Hell, I’m using the fish!” - a low pass down a long reservoir on a very calm winter day for a video shoot.

“See that gap in the trees to the left? If you ever can’t climb out of Leadville, memorize where that is. I’ve had to go through it before.” - North takeoff out of KLXV.

“Undercarriage... I’ve got a wheel on my side how about you?!” in a fixed gear airplane at the GUMPS check. I still do this one. :)

“Are all the big pieces in all the right places?” after overseeing me completing pre-flight external inspections.

“Pay attention, there’s going to be a test.” Another one I forget what we were doing during my Private prep but laughed my butt off.

“Let’s see what your autopilot does. ... Yeah okay don’t use that, it’ll kill you.” @jesse admiring my venerable Cessna 200’s wing leveling abilities. Or lack thereof.

“You have the leans, don’t you?” Again @jesse when he realized I was resting my head on the pilot’s side window with the hood on at night. LOL. I was soooooo trying to push the pilot door open with my whole body. It was funny.

“You forgot to guard the throttle quadrant again... engine failure...” Sadistic bastard. I learned after the second one. :)

And frankly one of the funniest moments ever considering I was flunking a checkride... I literally had a complete brain block landing my own freaking airplane during my SE Commerical add-on. I mean they were the worst landings I’ve ever made in that airplane and to this day I have no earthy clue why I did that on checkride day.

“You know I can’t accept those landings.”
“No kidding, I can’t accept them either!”
A few laps around the pattern a few days later (and a retest fee...) and all was back to normal. But that didn’t stop me from doing about 40 landings in between those days. LOL.

And... at engine shutdown... every time... the one instructor who always said...

“We appear to have flung ourselves off of the surface of the Earth, returned and cheated death, once again. Congratulations.”

I forgot...

“Now you know why they call it spring steel landing gear!” - early landing attempts in a 172.

Back