New PA28 AD

one of the purposes of asking for the 30 day extension was to allow a meaningful opportunity for comments to be submitted and considered
The purpose is fine. But as I mentioned above, the problem is if you want to use that 30 day extension you will need to inform your FSDO that you plan to use the AMOC, then make a signed entry in the logbook applying the 30 day extension to the AD. As to who can sign off the AMOC, I would ask the FSDO if a pilot can sign it off. If not, what the point of the AMOC? If you need a mechanic sign off for the AMOC, why not have him sign the AD off instead?

Since the Feds accepted the reasoning of additional comments for the Global AMOC, the right thing to have done would have been to revise the original AD and everyone would have been off the hook until March.

Are we still talking about labels on the fuel selector? Why not just fix em....move the labels and be done wit it.

How hard can we make this? o_O

Are we still talking about labels on the fuel selector? Why not just fix em....move the labels and be done wit it.

How hard can we make this? o_O

Not really. We’re talking about the mandatory inspection of a whole bunch of selectors that never were wrong in the first place. And the mandatory legal paperwork documenting the inspection.

The ones that need fixing are in the significant minority of those being inspected, it sounds like.

Check to make sure your airplane is subject to the AD. After both the A&P and I dug thru the tiny print, we discovered I've got the 4way switch off-left-right-off which isn't inpacted by the AD.
Which tiny print did you find that says a plane with the 4-way selector does not need to comply with the AD? My reading was that, if your plane is in the serial number range stated in the AD, you need the A&P to sign your maintenance records to show that your fuel selector is not of the affected type. The AD still applies and requires a certificated mechanic’s signature to make the plane airworthy.

Not really. We’re talking about the mandatory inspection of a whole bunch of selectors that never were wrong in the first place. And the mandatory legal paperwork documenting the inspection.

The ones that need fixing are in the significant minority of those being inspected, it sounds like.
Ok....that's a legitimate beef. This should be as simple as an owner/operator signoff...but it ain't.

Which tiny print did you find that says a plane with the 4-way selector does not need to comply with the AD? My reading was that, if your plane is in the serial number range stated in the AD, you need the A&P to sign your maintenance records to show that your fuel selector is not of the affected type. The AD still applies and requires a certificated mechanic’s signature to make the plane airworthy.

The AD refers to the SB, which says if the fuel selector doesn’t match the figure A no action is required other than putt nag it in the log book. No matter what a sign off will be required is what my interpretation is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's the way I read it to. I've had other ADs where it says the applicability is engines with a certain fuel pump on them. I look at my engine, I don't have that part, the AD doesn't apply at all. I made a note in the log that the AD didn't apply and here's the model pump actually installed, but that's just for convenience so I don't have to get in there with the inspection mirror again if I forget.

This one says it applies to the plane and part of the resolution is verifying that you've got a defectively labeled valve. It needs a maintenance note.

The AD refers to the SB, which says if the fuel selector doesn’t match the figure A no action is required other than putt nag it in the log book. No matter what a sign off will be required is what my interpretation is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup....left is up....right is forward....and off is aft....how hard could rearranging the stickers be? o_O

Put mine on left, and I watch the left gauge go down. Put mine on right, and the right gauge goes down.
Sounds to me like your fuel gauges are wired up wrong. You need to get that fixed, then fix the selector to get back to where you are.

The AD needs to be amended to assure that the fuel sensor is connected to the correct fuel gauge, just in case.

attaching the PDF from FAA

Attachments

• FAA-2018-07-03.pdf
    233 KB · Views: 23
I told those pharisees at the Piper board I'd be ahead of the game by procrastinating on that compliance.....:D:D

lol, procrastination pays off for me too. I looked at my fuel selector a few months ago when I 1st learned of this AD. Mine is placarded correctly so I forgot about it and just assumed my AP/IA would cover it in his yearly "all AD's complied with" blanket statement. I guess I'll make note of my tach time the next time I go to the plane and make the appropriate notations in my airframe logbook when I get home. I can't wait to write "complied with". ;):D

Like Timbeck2, I have a flat plate also. Technically there is no way to sign off the AD.
Left Tank 25 gallons at 10 o'clock and Right Tank at 2 o'clock. OFF at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. Neither the SB or the AD allow for this. Good detente and placards but no way to match diagram A-A. Suggestions?

Like Timbeck2, I have a flat plate also. Technically there is no way to sign off the AD.
Left Tank 25 gallons at 10 o'clock and Right Tank at 2 o'clock. OFF at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. Neither the SB or the AD allow for this. Good detente and placards but no way to match diagram A-A. Suggestions?

The flat plate with no movement restricting device (aka springsloaded tab to guard the off position) is what you have, and the AD says the scope of the AD doesn't apply to that type of fuel selector. You re good to go.

The flat plate with no movement restricting device (aka springsloaded tab to guard the off position) is what you have, and the AD says the scope of the AD doesn't apply to that type of fuel selector. You re good to go.
Thanks for that information. Guess I'm too anal. Guess I expected them to spell that out better since my s/n is included in the AD.

Thanks for that information. Guess I'm too anal. Guess I expected them to spell that out better since my s/n is included in the AD.
There are sketches in the AD that correspond to the various plates. The one you have is the same as mine, which is not subject to the AD.

The ad applies by serial number. The ad spells out that if you have the flat plate the documentation needs to done anyway. The simple entry is ad xxxxx complied with this date by inspection. Signed. Joe pilot cert number 12345

There are sketches in the AD that correspond to the various plates. The one you have is the same as mine, which is not subject to the AD.
Wrong.

See special preflight inspection section of the ad. Regardless of the plate type an entry must be made if your serial number is in the range covered, which it should sine it covers all S/n

Here is the section of the ad that applies

b) If the currently installed fuel selector cover does not match the cover shown Figure 2, View A-A (Note: The fuel selector cover that does not match View A-A is a flat round plate without any features that limit the rotational travel of the fuel selector lever), then the remaining instructions in AD 2018-07-03 do not apply and no further action is required. Compliance with this part of AD 2018-07-03 must be documented by the owner/operator (pilot) holding at least a private pilot certificate, and must be entered into the aircraft records showing compliance with this AD in accordance with 14 CFR 43.9 (a)(1)-(4) and 14 CFR 91.417(a)(2)(v). The record must be maintained as required by 14 CFR 91.417, 121.380, or 135.439.

Note that it says the remaining instructions do not apply.

Last edited:
Wrong.

Compliance with this part of AD 2018-07-03 must be documented by the owner/operator (pilot) holding at least a private pilot certificate, and must be entered into the aircraft records showing compliance with this AD in accordance with 14 CFR 43.9 (a)(1)-(4) and 14 CFR 91.417(a)(2)(v). The record must be maintained as required by 14 CFR 91.417, 121.380, or 135.439.

yeah, but unsaferguy, here is my ***** ...

"...holding at least a private pilot certificate ..." a private glider, or balloon , or lsa knows about as much about a Piper fuel system as joe schmoe from kokomo, yet can sign off the ad? Yep. How about the third guy in line for the mens room? probably knows just as much. stupid.

"required by ... 121.380 ..." How many pa28s do you suppose are in airline service? Find me just ONE. stupid.

We are in the electronic age. We don't ink print a lot of these on paper any more. Giving us references to 8 FARs means 10,000 owners have to look up the references rather than ONE guy on our taxpayer payroll cutting and pasting them into the AD. stupid.

Jim

We are in the electronic age. We don't ink print a lot of these on paper any more. Giving us references to 8 FARs means 10,000 owners have to look up the references rather than ONE guy on our taxpayer payroll cutting and pasting them into the AD. stupid.

All the electronic age does is allow bureaucrats to create garbage at an exponentially faster rate. You’re just used to the older shorter bureaucrat output, copied on a mimeograph.

Don’t worry, we feel ya. Try finding anything on the website with all of the Chief Counsel opinion letters just put there in one big numbered pile with no topic organization whatsoever. It’s a lovely system, about as organized as a trash can.

yeah, but unsaferguy, here is my ***** ...

"...holding at least a private pilot certificate ..." a private glider, or balloon , or lsa knows about as much about a Piper fuel system as joe schmoe from kokomo, yet can sign off the ad? Yep. How about the third guy in line for the mens room? probably knows just as much. stupid.

"required by ... 121.380 ..." How many pa28s do you suppose are in airline service? Find me just ONE. stupid.

Jim

Jim, do you happen to be in Oshkosh this weekend?
I'm near Madison and want to buy you 2 beers.
You and I are the old time rule knowers and have a duty to teach the young guys the truth.
You know, STCs TSOs and field approvals. I'm so tired of book boys that won't actually use common sense because they might get their tit in the FAA wringer with no knowledge to shut them (just as uninformed) down!
Dan

Jim, do you happen to be in Oshkosh this weekend?
I'm near Madison and want to buy you 2 beers.
You and I are the old time rule knowers and have a duty to teach the young guys the truth.
You know, STCs TSOs and field approvals. I'm so tired of book boys that won't actually use common sense because they might get their tit in the FAA wringer with no knowledge to shut them (just as uninformed) down!
Dan
I was, Dan, but I boogied out on Thursday after Jay's HOPS party. I'll do the same for you if you ever get to Sacramento. I appreciate the kind words.

Jim

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Piper-AD-Affects-19000-Aircraft-230206-1.html

"The AD requires aircraft owners to inspect the fuel-tank selector cover to verify the fuel-tank selector placards are located at the proper positions. If not, the placards must be replaced."

no idea where they got that from
Obviously they need to meet an AD quota. I'm just waiting for them to write an AD because my '67 Cherokee has two OFF positions. OOPS, hope they aren't reading this.

Back