0-60

I was surprised at how many people have put their vehicles to this test. I can't say that I ever have. Or maybe they got the numbers from some website.

"Sometimes you gotta feed a little speed to your ride." I certainly don't beat on my personal vehicles, but I'm not afraid to drop the hammer every now and again. I generally refrain from doing hard launches, but a rolling start is no big deal. I ascribe to the old belief that it's good to "blow the cobwebs out" on occasion. I got the numbers for my vehicles from the 'net, but the GXP actually has performance metrics you can run (acceleration g's, lateral acceleration, etc.) to compare versus published specs. However, the tranny is the weak link in that car, so I keep hard acceleration from a stop to a minimum.

Not sure how they got sub 9 secs. I did it yesterday and was in the 11 sec area. A/C was running so I think that hurt me...or I was slightly uphill. ;)

I top speed test the Subaru every time I’m on the highway. At the speed limit. :)

Reminds me of the joke: A Texas rancher was bragging about his ranch to a New Hampshire farmer., "I can get in my car first thing in the morning and drive until sundown and still be on my ranch." The reply? "I had a car like that once."

So I sold it and bought the E55, which my wife has now commandeered as her commuter and loves it. But now I'm without a "fun" vehicle (although I do have the new Ram and am enjoying it) and am going around in circles with what to buy.

You should start a new thread. Buying cars is my second hobby after flying. I am always on the lookout for a new to me car to play with.

You should start a new thread. Buying cars is my second hobby after flying. I am always on the lookout for a new to me car to play with.

I usually start a "thinking about" thread when I have something more specific to be thinking about. Right now, I don't have that. However with reports of the E55 being noticeably improved from previous by my wife, I may drive that car again and be happy with borrowing it when my wife isn't using it from time to time.

One problem I have is that what I want is typically not produced. As an example, there are a number of Mercedes I like (including the E55), but no manual transmission option is available. I've gone to great lengths to correct this issue on previous cars. It's harder on modern cars than it was on cars from the 90s and earlier, but still could be done with enough persistence.

I'm still tossing around various ideas, almost none of which I have time for. :)

Full military up there for me was pulling the 12,500 lb trailer behind the Dodge.

Hitting the two minute EGT limit on the Cummins and backing my foot out of it while PASSING stuff like rental Altimas is kinda fun. In a different sort of way other than going fast.

Poor truck is so bored now. Ha.

Black smoke matters.

Black smoke matters.

It really doesn’t make any smoke when it’s working that hard. Way too much air from the turbo. Just see a wave of superheated exhaust air coming out of the 4” stem to stern exhaust system and 5” tip back there in the right side mirror.

I wouldn’t want to stick a hand in front of it at that point. BBQ. As I recall the Cummins EGT limit is 1350F for two minutes or something like that. It’s not 1350 by the time it works it’s way to the back of the truck of course but it’s not cool!

Back