MOLD

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
Can the mold that grows on bread make you hallucinate?

4e0caf0cf4c29838f6693580e3c7d9e0.jpg

And if not, what does?

And if not, what does?

There is only one way to know for sure.

Man up!
and gods speed

There are stories out of the middle ages about rotted grain supplies causing entire populations of an area to hallucinate. I think they are entertaining stories but doubt they are true. So, maybe you can do a little tripping with some bread but it's prolly just penicillin or something less stimulating.

There are stories out of the middle ages about rotted grain supplies causing entire populations of an area to hallucinate. I think they are entertaining stories but doubt they are true. So, maybe you can do a little tripping with some bread but it's prolly just penicillin or something less stimulating.
Yeah, most likely Penicillium.

I believe you are thinking about ergotism? Ergot poisoning was a problem back then, although it may not have caused hallucinations as you mention.

And if not, what does?

Cheech n Chong would smoke that shet! Banana peel, smoke dem too. From I heard many years ago, like the 60s I think.

And if not, what does?

If it's rye bread, then it's theoretically possible, but exceedingly unlikely. If it's not rye bread, then I think it's safe to say that it's so unlikely as to be a statistical impossibility. The mold that forms on most bread (and that most commonly forms on even rye bread) is penicillium, from which penicillin is made. Rye bread, on the other hand, has a very small chance of containing ergot fungus.

Ergot is a fungus that affects various grains, but most often rye, while it's still in the field. It contains several hallucinogenic alkaloids. One of them, ergotamine, is a precursor to lysergic acid, which in turn is a component of Lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD. In fact, Albert Hoffman whipped up his first batches of LSD from ergotamine. It's considered the most potent of the hallucinogens in ergot fungus.

It's possible in theory for ergotamine from infected grain to make it all the way to a loaf of rye bread. But it's exceedingly unlikely given modern farming, milling, and baking practices. Even if a sufficient quantity existed in finished bread to cause hallucinations, the absorption and bioavailabity of ingested ergotamine are fairly poor due to the acidity of the gastric juices. (That's why therapeutic ergotamine is usually given as a sublingual tablet or a suppository.)

The most likely result of ingesting a small amount of naturally-occurring ergotamine is nausea, and probably not even that. Larger amounts can cause gangrene (which actually results from a combination of the ergotamine and another alkaloid in ergot, whose name I don't remember offhand, causing severe vasoconstriction), or convulsions. If you were really unlucky, it could even kill you.

If you did defy the odds and managed to ingest enough ergotamine from rye bread to cause hallucinations, but not enough to kill you or cause your fingers and toes to rot away and fall off, the hallucinations would not be happy ones. For reasons not completely understood, ergotamine hallucinations are always unpleasant. The hallucinations caused by other hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin ("magic mushrooms"), mescaline (peyote) and scopolamine ("jimsonweed") tend to be more reflective of the person's state of mind when they take the drug. Ergotamine trips, on the other hand, are always bad.

Rich

Some of the knowledge on here blows my mind more than any hallucinogenic ever did.

I mean, if I ever did any which of course I never did.

Oh look, giant pink lizards!

If it's rye bread, then it's theoretically possible, but exceedingly unlikely. If it's not rye bread, then I think it's safe to say that it's so unlikely as to be a statistical impossibility. The mold that forms on most bread (and that most commonly forms on even rye bread) is penicillium, from which penicillin is made. Rye bread, on the other hand, has a very small chance of containing ergot fungus.

Ergot is a fungus that affects various grains, but most often rye, while it's still in the field. It contains several hallucinogenic alkaloids. One of them, ergotamine, is a precursor to lysergic acid, which in turn is a component of Lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD. In fact, Albert Hoffman whipped up his first batches of LSD from ergotamine. It's considered the most potent of the hallucinogens in ergot fungus.

It's possible in theory for ergotamine from infected grain to make it all the way to a loaf of rye bread. But it's exceedingly unlikely given modern farming, milling, and baking practices. Even if a sufficient quantity existed in finished bread to cause hallucinations, the absorption and bioavailabity of ingested ergotamine are fairly poor due to the acidity of the gastric juices. (That's why therapeutic ergotamine is usually given as a sublingual tablet or a suppository.)

The most likely result of ingesting a small amount of naturally-occurring ergotamine is nausea, and probably not even that. Larger amounts can cause gangrene (which actually results from a combination of the ergotamine and another alkaloid in ergot, whose name I don't remember offhand, causing severe vasoconstriction), or convulsions. If you were really unlucky, it could even kill you.

If you did defy the odds and managed to ingest enough ergotamine from rye bread to cause hallucinations, but not enough to kill you or cause your fingers and toes to rot away and fall off, the hallucinations would not be happy ones. For reasons not completely understood, ergotamine hallucinations are always unpleasant. The hallucinations caused by other hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin ("magic mushrooms"), mescaline (peyote) and scopolamine ("jimsonweed") tend to be more reflective of the person's state of mind when they take the drug. Ergotamine trips, on the other hand, are always bad.

Rich

so you're telling me there's a chance............

Wait, how do you know that you are not already halucinating about the mold? But never mind me, I am not even real, I have said so twice before.

No, but it might help that case of the clap you picked up last time to CRE...

Rich

Disagree with you on a couple of points...
Although Claviceps purpurea infects mainly rye, it can grow in wheat and barley as well. Related species also produce ergot alkaloids, such as C. fusiformis which grows on millet, and C. africana which affects sorghum.

Disagree with you on a couple of points...
Although Claviceps purpurea infects mainly rye, it can grow in wheat and barley as well. Related species also produce ergot alkaloids, such as C. fusiformis which grows on millet, and C. africana which affects sorghum.

I'm sure all that is true. What I wrote was a recollection of what was taught in one of the substance abuse courses I took many years ago, not a course in mycology, agronomy, or food protection. I'm sure there are many more natural hallucinogens that I never heard of.

Rich

Back