Hangar collapse at KHOU houston hobby

Wow how unfortunate,for the owners of the planes,plus revenue loss. Not sure I would be happy . I would think ,that a hangar should be able to survive 60 mph winds.

Wow how unfortunate,for the owners of the planes,plus revenue loss. Not sure I would be happy . I would think ,that a hangar should be able to survive 60 mph winds.

That looks like a microburst or some sort of tornadic activity. I don't think 60 mph straight line winds would do that.

Prior unrecognized damage from the recent hurricane that may have weakened the structure?

I agree with FH from Roswell.
Lookit all that debris on the ramp, stuff flung far and wide.
Takes more than 60mph to do that. (we have seen several 60mph days where I live)

Some of these large hangars are just poorly engineered. In iirc 2010 a hangar full of jets collapsed at Dulles because the (allowed) engineering shortcuts didn't account for that days snow load.

I've seen some rusty hangars that probably wouldn't survive 6o MPH winds. Looking at the dollar value in that hangar one would hope that isn't the case.

Summing wong! 60 mph winds wouldn't do that. That's either a micro burst or a tornado that touched down IMO.

Mostly business jets. I think one belongs to wells fargo.
Wells does a fair bit of business leasing jets. They show up as owner a lot.

Last edited:
I would hope that, with Houston Hobby being in prime hurricane territory, the sustained wind rating for the hangars there would be well above 60mph.

From the Houston Area Aviators group on Facebook, it sounds like it was a tornado that touched down.

I know one guy who keeps a pristine cessna 175 there. Thats about all for hobbyists!

Back