Daily Pic

First flight as an airline captain didn’t go too bad! CVG-EWR

2Wd6qiM.jpg
Heck yeah, congrats!

New to the forum and flying. After postponing it for too many years, finally took the plunge. Here's me on my first flying lesson:

Congrats! Hang in there and git 'er done.

So what did you think? How about a little pirep? :)

Loved that movie. Saw it when it came on TV the first time. That was Steven Spielberg's directorial debut. That was a seriously tense movie.

Spielberg's first stint in the director's chair (for a movie at least) was for The Sugarland Express. But I agree about Duel being tense! Amazing how the suspense was drawn out for that long.

Spielberg's first stint in the director's chair (for a movie at least) was for The Sugarland Express. But I agree about Duel being tense! Amazing how the suspense was drawn out for that long.

Sugarland Express was his first theatrical movie in '74. Duel was his first full length movie of any kind in '71, which of course was on TV. I should have been more specific when I said first movie. Before that it was TV series shows and shorts.

Last edited:
Congrats! Hang in there and git 'er done.

So what did you think? How about a little pirep? :)

I loved it. I've been playing flight simulators for a long time, from the early days of FS95 to X-Plane 11 currently. I can tell you that, the real thing felt a lot easier to fly.
However, I thought handling radio comms, flying the thing, looking for traffic, monitoring instruments became overwhelming pretty quickly and my CFI took the radios... :)
I have now 5 hours and I'm doing the radios myself in our busy class D airport (yay!).
We've also done power on/off stalls, accelerated stalls and trim-induced stalls, along with some ground ref (s-turns and turns around a point). I can tell you that stalls were less menacing than I thought they'd be, although the accelerated one does wake you up. :)
Also, comparing to X-Plane 11, the stalls on a real C172 are much more docile and predictable, imho. Also, the pattern we fly is much tighter than what I used to do in X-Plane. Most of the time I think: "wow, we're so close to the runway" but eventually we manage the energy pretty well and land right when the stall horn is starting to sound.
Last flight we did another round of ground ref and did my first pattern work with 2 go-around practice. Glad that my CFI said to fly the plane first then worry about talking to tower :) as all the go around procedures kept me busy...
We haven't bounced on landings yet, but he's still helping out in the controls. Can't wait to be able to land it myself

Sugarland Express was his first theatrical movie in '74. Duel was his first full length movie of any kind in '71, which of course was on TV. I should have been more specific when I said first movie. Before that it was TV series shows and shorts.

I remember Sugarland Express. Not the movie, but the actual event. Which had nothing to do with Sugarland, Tx.

I was in grade school in Bryan, Tx and during recess we saw a car being followed by a long line of police cars as they passed by the school, along with a helicopter flying overhead. We had no idea what was going on at the time.

The local FBI agent and the county sheriff did the shooting that ended the event.

Fall race last year? If you are headed there in a few weeks send me a PM. Flew in there last year, landed the other direction though on Thursday evening.
I believe so. We have either flown or taken the motorcycle. The only way to bet the crowd. :) Flying it is about an hour away so we flew in the day of the race. When leaving we had to battle all the drivers private jets. They were at the end of runway waiting for IFR clearance. Denny Hamlin's Jet was the first in line. The temp tower asked if I could asked if i could take off from mid runway. I said no problem, so I guess you could say I got the lead coming out of the turn. :)

Back