Hudson River exclusion NY SFRA

Leo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Hi,
I am based at CSG3 neer Montreal, tinking to go in NY, i just take FAA course on line, this will be my first time in the NY SFRA corridor, and i would appreciate any tip or suggestions from pilots who have done this before.

Has anyone flown either the Hudson River exclusion or the East River exclusion?

Hudson River exclusion CTAF Vs SKYLINE ROUTE class B corridor is alot more organized and safer than CTAF or its nice both way?
Traffic are busy?
What is the best time?
Skyline route at 2000 ft its to High or better 1500 ?

I always stick to the skyline. They usually give me 1500 ft which still give one hell of a view. Down below in the exclusion, there is a lot of helicopter traffic down by lower Manhattan to liberty. And even though it is required some pilots are forgetting to make the required announcements. So it’s a lot of time with your head swiveling back and forth. ATC is really good at doing this. If you are not sure what they want, just ask.

I've flown the Hudson River exclusion a number of times.
I stay below 900', keep my speed down, and call the spots as required. No sweat.
I usually head south from the Tappan Zee (now Cuomo) Bridge about 9:00 AM, usually not as many copter tourist flights at that time. Make a couple of turns around the Statue of Liberty then head out to sea before coming back up the other side. Keep it low and you can wave at the people in the upper floors of the buildings.
It's also spectacular as a night VOR flight. Bring a good camera at night to capture the lights.

I've flown the Hudson River exclusion a number of times.
I stay below 900', keep my speed down, and call the spots as required. No sweat.
I usually head south from the Tappan Zee (now Cuomo) Bridge about 9:00 AM, usually not as many copter tourist flights at that time. Make a couple of turns around the Statue of Liberty then head out to sea before coming back up the other side. Keep it low and you can wave at the people in the upper floors of the buildings.
It's also spectacular as a night VOR flight. Bring a good camera at night to capture the lights.

I don’t care what they want to call it. It will always be the tappan zee. Just like the RFK is still the tri borough bridge.

I don’t care what they want to call it. It will always be the tappan zee. Just like the RFK is still the tri borough bridge.
You betcha.
Cuomo changed the name of Dutchess County Airport to Mid-Hudson Regional. Yeah. Good luck with that.

I prefer to fly the Skyline route in the Bravo because ATC will almost always approve a West to East transition across Manhattan over Central Park to the East River. Then a right turn southbound along the East River back to the Battery (southern tip of Manhattan). In additional to the sights along the Hudson, you get to see Central Park South, The Museum of Natural History, The Museum of Modern Art, and the Guggenheim Museum on the leg across Central Park. And the East Side sights down the East River (59th Street Bridge, Cable crossing to Roosevelt Island, The UN Building, Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport, and the Staten Island Ferry terminals.

You'll need to be talking to ATC and get Bravo clearance. Tell ATC that you want to do a Manhattan tour with a Central Park transition to the East River, followed by your choice of a circuit or two around the Statue of Liberty, or a continuation northbound up the Hudson. Start at the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and fly north up NY Harbor aiming for the East side of the Hudson River. You will get handed off to LaGuardia Tower near the Freedom Tower and they will be the ones to give you the Central Park transition clearance. You can't miss Central Park in the middle of Manhattan (a giant rectangle of green). When you get about half way up Central Park turn right 90 degrees. When you reach the East River make another right 90 and fly down the East River. At the bottom of Manhattan you can either fly straight ahead to the Statue of Liberty and circle there, or turn right back north up the Hudson to the George Washington Bridge to see the sights of upper Manhattan. If you fly to the GWB before you circle the Statue of Liberty, get approval to make a 180 and head back downriver until you reach the Statue where you can do a few circuits. Finish by flying back south to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and west out of the Bravo.

This route keeps Manhattan on the right side of the plane and gives a great view to passengers. You're going to be busy flying the plane and looking out for traffic call-outs anyway.

I choose to limit my Manhattan flights to warm weather. If the engine quits you are almost certainly going to have to ditch because there is nowhere safe to put it down on land.

A night flight has its own special attraction. It isn't as easy to see some of the smaller landmarks as it is in daylight, but the overview of the lights is spectacular. If you're going to be in the area for a full day, you might want to try it both day and night.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Depending on weather, I'm planning on flying the exclusion Friday evening. Departing Albany, down the Hudson, through the exclusion around 900', and then a turn west-southwest on our way to N57 in PA.

Anyone know if ATC is going to give clearance through the Bravo there? I'll be low, wanting to climb, and crossing the centerline of the approach/departure path at Newark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on weather, I'm planning on flying the exclusion Friday evening. Departing Albany, down the Hudson, through the exclusion around 900', and then a turn west-southwest on our way to N57 in PA.

Anyone know if ATC is going to give clearance through the Bravo there? I'll be low, wanting to climb, and crossing the centerline of the approach/departure path at Newark?

They will probably have you hange a right at the Starue of Liberty and then fly directly over Newark at 1500 or so... some vectors from there depending on EWR traffic and then you’ll be on your way. ATC is great and always keen to help you out as much as they can.

Lots of better places to visit, Boston, the adrondaks, etc.

I was curious as to where the name Tappan Zee came from (cuomo is obvious) so I looked it up on Wiki:

“It derives its name from the Tappan Native American sub-tribe of the Delaware/Lenni Lenape, and the Dutch word zee, meaning a sea.”

Yeah, let’s erase more historical names in favor of modern day egotistical politicians.

A standard “warning” for those flying the corridor: Fly the plane! It is a busy traffic area and the scenery is compelling. If you are the PIC, don’t be a sightseer! This cost Cory Lidle and his CFI their lives a few years back. Eyes open and head on a swivel! You will still see enough to enjoy...

This is particularly true flying below the skyline, where at least you have ATC’s eyes on you...

-Skip

A standard “warning” for those flying the corridor: Fly the plane! It is a busy traffic area and the scenery is compelling. If you are the PIC, don’t be a sightseer! This cost Cory Lidle and his CFI their lives a few years back. Eyes open and head on a swivel! You will still see enough to enjoy...

This is particularly true flying below the skyline, where at least you have ATC’s eyes on you...

-Skip

I thought Lidle’s accident was due to a poorly executed 180.

They will probably have you hange a right at the Starue of Liberty and then fly directly over Newark at 1500 or so... some vectors from there depending on EWR traffic and then you’ll be on your way. ATC is great and always keen to help you out as much as they can.

Will I get that clearance if I call while I'm in the exclusion and still low?

I usually do it on my own at 1000 feet. Just make sure you make all the mandatory reporting points and watch out for traffic. It’s a beautiful flight.

Have done the route several times,flew the river when the trade center was still there. To busy now for my old eyes.

I thought Lidle’s accident was due to a poorly executed 180.
Call it what you like... I heard it blamed on a lack of CRM because the flight had two sightseers and no effective PIC. -Skip

Hoppy Easter to all!

I just noticed a TFR for the Yankees game tomorrow. The 3 mike ring stretches way past the river. Does that effectively block passage through the SFRA while the TFR is active? I didn't see any exception listed in the TFR text.

A) You do not need any special "training", let alone FAA courses. Read the rules and obey them. End of story. Plenty of instructional pages/fliers out there to get to know the area well and be able to report properly.
B) Most stadium TFRs are a joke. Read the wording and comply. If you can get the Skyline Route in the overlying Bravo, the TFR likely won't affect you. :)

Have fun and post pictures! I've done it and it was awesome.
And when the aircraft carrier is in port, please do resist the urge to declare a fake emergency and land on it. ;)

The skyline route is between 1300' and 2000'. Are you implying that somehow the TFR won't be enforced in those altitudes?

Wow! Thanks to you all, i have all they informations and resources i needed to perform in the Hudson River, and it was informative and useful.
Spécial thanks to all to sharing your experiences with me.
I feel more confident in myself and I am ready to go, and i will posts pictures.

I always stick to the skyline. They usually give me 1500 ft which still give one hell of a view.

Yes 1500 class B i'm agree with you for the first time....

And even though it is required some pilots are forgetting to make the required announcements. So it’s a lot of time with your head swiveling back and forth.

Wow! I'm speechless this congestive area are so important!

I prefer to fly the Skyline route in the Bravo because ATC will almost always approve a West to East transition across Manhattan over Central Park to the East River. Then a right turn southbound along the East River back to the Battery (southern tip of Manhattan).
Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Thanks I'v never thought to take this way with the ATC.

Lots of better places to visit, Boston, the adrondaks, etc.
I'v been there in Massachusetts Hyannis, Provincetown,Beverly,North Hampton,and Adirondakc Lake Placid, Albany, Burlington, and it's true it's wonderful, butt Big Apple are something.

/QUOTE]
Yesssss Thanks...

Oh NYC is something alright ;)

Just stay safe, and keep your head on a swivel, it's like Blackhawk down over there ;)

The skyline route is between 1300' and 2000'. Are you implying that somehow the TFR won't be enforced in those altitudes?
Yup, that is what I am implying. Read the TFR. Most of them are a joke, pretty much just a NOTAM. Though this one could be different, I do not claim to know what its rules are. I just mentioned "most TFRs" because that's what I have limited experience with. I can spare you the lengthy read: most TFRs have an exclusion clause to the note of "unless the pilot is in contact with ATC". Again, this one might be different, it's some boring kids' basicball game or sumthin'. :)

Yup, that is what I am implying. Read the TFR. Most of them are a joke, pretty much just a NOTAM. Though this one could be different, I do not claim to know what its rules are. I just mentioned "most TFRs" because that's what I have limited experience with. I can spare you the lengthy read: most TFRs have an exclusion clause to the note of "unless the pilot is in contact with ATC". Again, this one might be different, it's some boring kids' basicball game or sumthin'. :)

It don't work like that here in NYC. If the Sporting Event TFR is hot, plan another route. You won't be cleared through.

If you request a transition over Newark, you'll likely be asked to overfly the Runway 22 numbers. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the area, as you may be given local landmarks by EWR ("Budweiser Plant", "Short Hills Mall", charted).

Flying in the Class B is the easy way here. Have a detailed chart (TAC/heli chart), be familiar with the TFRs (sporting and the Trump Tower one). The Trump Tower TFR extends into Central Park. If you cross Central Park (transitioning between the Hudson and East River), make sure you know the TFR boundary. Cross over the Great Lawn, not south of 79th Street, to stay clear.

Mike, thanks for the info. I suspected that was going to be the answer.

*If* the weather is good enough for the flight I'm planning, there's a chance I can get underway early enough to do the SFRA before the stadium TFR starts up.

The prog charts don't look good, however.

Back