KAP 140 problem

TBalch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TBalch
I've had the 182 for 12 years, and the A/P has worked flawlessly for most of that time. Within the last several months though, a problem has arisen. Where it used to climb to the preselected altitude and level off within 20', it has begun to go past about 50' and stay there. Reducing ROC makes no difference. The "Altitude Arm" annunciation goes out spot on the selected altitude, but the ship keeps climbing.

The shop "aligned the auto pilot controller", tested the pitch servo on the bench (tested good) and adjusted the pitch cable tensions - they were a bit off book specs.

None of this has corrected the problem. I had a Garmin GTX 345 installed for my ADS-B solution around the time this problem started. Maybe this is just a coincidence but.....

Like to have any insight that the Members here can offer.

tested the pitch servo on the bench (tested good) and adjusted the pitch cable tensions - they were a bit off book specs.

Did they also pull the servo mount and check the torque on the Pitch Servo slip-clutch? I believe there is a Service Memo that recommends periodically checking the slip-clutch torque for all the servos.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll make sure that has been done.

Back