Does foreflight seem to be getting slower?

I'm pretty sure the whole "iPhone slowdown" scandal applies to the iPads, also.
Apple deliberately slows down old product to make you buy up.
The new story is that as the battery loses capacity, the apps slow down to make it last longer.

I got my free battery replacement for the 6S. I don't notice that it is much faster, but it was never that slow. The battery lasts longer, however.

My iPad mini2 is slow, but I mostly only use it to download photos when I am on vacation.

For what it is worth, I have my mini 4 on the newest iOS and newest version of ForeFlight. Still is fine.

iOS 11.3 was released yesterday and it includes a battery health monitor. Go to Settings-General-SoftwareUpdate to update, then Settings-Battery-BatteryHealth

It'd be interesting to see what everyone is getting relative to the age of their device.

My 2 year old iPhone SE reports 87%

This irritates the holy hell out of me since it used to work and I am not doing anything more with it than I was 4 years ago.
Is the OS predominately the problem or Foreflight itself?
Since the OS has not been updated since 9.x.x (like mine), the blame is on FF here.
I am seeing the same performance issues, especially when trying to load nearby fixes/navaids etc. Creating a flight plan that way has become a non-option for me, I have to type it in now.
Have you reported this to FF? The team is pretty responsive to pilot feedback. I will do the same. They need to know where the bottlenecks are so that they can improve the product.

it includes a battery health monitor. Go Settings-Battery-BatteryHealth

It'd be interesting to see what everyone is getting relative to the age of their device.

Doesn’t show up on my iPad mini 2

Or the 5s, but then I think the battery restriction was for iPhone 6 and 7

iOS 11.3 was released yesterday and it includes a battery health monitor. Go to Settings-General-SoftwareUpdate to update, then Settings-Battery-BatteryHealth

My 2 1/2 year old iPhone 6S reports 100%, which is a good thing since I got the battery replaced last week.

I was signed up for the battery replacement because my iPhone 6 Plus had become nearly unusable... when the screen started wigging out.

They had up to a two month backorder on battery replacements and had already put me on a wait list, when I went in and made an appointment for the touchscreen losing its mind.

They analyzed it, said it was normally $160 to replace the whole phone with a refurb, saw from my notes that I already had a battery replacement scheduled, confirmed the battery was also completely gone, and knocked the price of the battery replacement OFF of the refurb price. LOL. They weren’t supposed to do that.

I walked out with a refurb that has a brand new battery and in brand new condition for $120. Hahaha. Working great again now, still slow at things it wasn’t pre-iOS 11, but working.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that apps that use a lot of RAM kick the other background apps RAM storage out of RAM and they can’t recover to where they were when they were put in the background.

If buying iOS Apple stuff today, get the biggest RAM you can. And I’m not talking about flash storage. Dig into the specs and go for RAM. iOS 11 is a RAM hog as are almost all apps now.

The refurb stopped my search for the time being for which Android I’m going to on the phone side of things. The iPad probably stays but it’ll get set aside as a CFI tool and I’ll be playing with Android tablets also.

Someone mentioned the Android users don’t buy apps. It doesn’t really apply to the pilot market segment. We’d buy anyway. But... the android tablet market shrunk considerably. People don’t see tablets in the mainstream much in the future. The phones got big enough that most people don’t need or want a tablet. And for those doing desktop replacement there’s things on the Android side like the Samsung dock for their phones.

And frankly, in the $300 space, a chromebook meets more consumer demand than an Android tablet does.

Amazon also helped kill the pure Android tablet as well with their Fire devices that are crippled. Because most of what people wanted a tablet for, consuming media and surfing, their subsidized Fire tablets will do.

So it’s hard to do Android tablet software. But I’ll keep hoping someone really gives ForeFlight a run for the money on the Android platform. Some are close.

Garmin makes the most sense to actually finish their Android product someday and make it on par with their iOS product. Wish they would.

I want nothing to do with the Apple Cook wants to build. Besides being no better than the completion on hardware (except tablets, and they announced a cheap one to try to save their own butts in the education space where chromebooks have decimated iPad sales), their software and constant updates are no better than anyone else’s now. That isn’t worth a premium price. They lost the edge.

Bad part for all of us is, dedicated tablets on mobile os’s are likely to become a niche market. Chromebook “convertibles” are taking over and even Microsoft just stripped a version of Win10 to try to compete in the chromebook market space.

If you look around the room at a security conference most participants are carrying a $300 chromebook they can wipe easily and not care. Not their daily driver laptop with a legacy OS on it that may end up hacked all to hell by the naughty stuff on networks at security conferences and nearby hotels. ;)

The trend is away from tablets in general. Not fast, but away.

I don’t trust google.
When they started out, they had a motto “don’t be evil”, they dropped it about the time they went public...

Don't hold your breath on that android version, according to their faq they have 'no plans'. That is irritating since they probably have the most loot ($$$) to work with and could easily hire an android team. Maybe they get kickbacks or threats from Apple. (in case you couldn't tell, I have an irrational disdain for all things Apple going back to the 6th grade, Apple ][, go Tandy!).

I think the issue for FF there is that the Mini works great in the cockpit. Its a perfect size. The Pro is about 1.5 inches taller and wider and the regular pro is a tad bigger. For some that may not matter but for many its a PIA looking around the iPad to see whats going on on the panel. I have the large iPad pro for work which is huge and would not work in a GA cockpit. I fly an older Bo with a pretty full pane so space and visibility of the panel is key. I'm sure there are others If Apple discontinues the mini it will make it harder not impossible but less convenient to use apps like FF. Although if you don't mount the tablet I guess it would not matter. I use a mini don't recall the model but we only have a few apps on it. 1) FltPlan Go 2) FlyQ and 3) the FlyQ Augmented reality app. I don't have FF as I think the free version of FltPlan Go is pretty darn good.

I hate software bloat as much as anyone, but especially with phones and tablets it's almost impossible to avoid. We use the Jepp FD Pro app at work, and every time they upgrade it with 'new features' it gets worse and worse. It's essentially an overblown pdf reader, and they keep mucking it up with crap I never use, and as a result its core function (viewing charts) gets slower and slower.

I upgraded to the latest and greatest but damned if Apple didn't add the fraction of a centimeter rendering my cases and mounts useless.

But it's FAST now!

View attachment 61406

Mini 4? Im considering it but the lack of support for it scares me..though that's with anything really...FF on my mini 1 is an absolutely horrid experience at this point.

I went from the 1 to the 4 and the difference is incredible.

I’ve been struggling with my mini-2 on my current adventure. Foreflight will randomly stop responding while I’m trying to put a flight plan together or worse while I’m trying to pull up information during a flight. Rebooting the iPad seems to sort it out for a while. Hasn’t been a big deal so far but I can just imagine hand flying through IMC and being assigned an approach then having to wait for the iPad to reboot before I can pull it up.

There’s an Apple store here in Santa Barbara, I’m very much entertaining the notion of marching in there tomorrow and trading up. I was holding out for a mini 5 but who knows if that will even happen. So do I want a mini 4 or a full size? I really don’t want a full size but it may be the only real option. Do they still sell a mini-4 that has GPS built-in or is it the WiFi version only? That might be a dealbreaker... even though I have a stratus I’d prefer the redundancy.

I’ve been struggling with my mini-2 on my current adventure. Foreflight will randomly stop responding while I’m trying to put a flight plan together or worse while I’m trying to pull up information during a flight. Rebooting the iPad seems to sort it out for a while. Hasn’t been a big deal so far but I can just imagine hand flying through IMC and being assigned an approach then having to wait for the iPad to reboot before I can pull it up.

There’s an Apple store here in Santa Barbara, I’m very much entertaining the notion of marching in there tomorrow and trading up. I was holding out for a mini 5 but who knows if that will even happen. So do I want a mini 4 or a full size? I really don’t want a full size but it may be the only real option. Do they still sell a mini-4 that has GPS built-in or is it the WiFi version only? That might be a dealbreaker... even though I have a stratus I’d prefer the redundancy.

Mini 4 is the end of the line I believe. So really it comes down to how much you want to spend. You can get the mini 4 at wally world for 300 bucks. The pro starts at over 600 bucks. The regular iPad seems promising if you can deal with a full size in the archer.

I'm going through this now. When I flew to Oshkosh last year my mini 1 locked up always at the worst times with the most traffic and weather. I seriously about tossed it out the door. It was frustrating and now that I can't upgrade FF Any more it's time to take the jump.

Mini 4 is the end of the line I believe. So really it comes down to how much you want to spend. You can get the mini 4 at wally world for 300 bucks. The pro starts at over 600 bucks. The regular iPad seems promising if you can deal with a full size in the archer.

I'm going through this now. When I flew to Oshkosh last year my mini 1 locked up always at the worst times with the most traffic and weather. I seriously about tossed it out the door. It was frustrating and now that I can't upgrade FF Any more it's time to take the jump.
It looks like the 300-dollar one doesn't have cellular data.

I've got a mini-2 and I've been using WingX for the last three years. It still performed quite nicely even with the iOS and WingX up to date. My subscription to WingX just expired and the club planes I have access to are all Garmin with GTX 345 (I think). I can get ADSB on the iPad if I switch to Foreflight. Am I doomed to need a new iPad as well?

The newest iOS update has a battery life thing and it will tell you if the iPad is running slower due to the battery. May be your issue

It's entirely possible that Foreflight IS getting slower due to a variant of Eroom's law. Those familiar with technology almost certainly have heard of Moore's law which states that the power of hardware roughly doubles every 18 months. Eroom's law (Moore backwards) says that every 18 months, the power required by computer programs roughly doubles. This is why Windows 10 does not really run any faster on a i7 quad core than Windows 3.1 did on a 486.

Put another way, if you are upgrading and running more sophisticated software on the same hardware, it will run slower.

I don’t trust google.
When they started out, they had a motto “don’t be evil”, they dropped it about the time they went public...

password_reuse.png

It's entirely possible that Foreflight IS getting slower due to a variant of Eroom's law. Those familiar with technology almost certainly have heard of Moore's law which states that the power of hardware roughly doubles every 18 months. Eroom's law (Moore backwards) says that every 18 months, the power required by computer programs roughly doubles. This is why Windows 10 does not really run any faster on a i7 quad core than Windows 3.1 did on a 486.

Put another way, if you are upgrading and running more sophisticated software on the same hardware, it will run slower.
Of course, it's not just the POWER required, but the MEMORY. I bought a new MacBook Pro last fall because my old one was maxed out on RAM and was still page thrashing itself to death running the newer versions of Mac OS. It was still a plenty fast machine when it didn't have to load from disk, but the I/O bottleneck had really become intolerable.

It looks like the 300-dollar one doesn't have cellular data.

Correct...I personally don't need cellular but at 300 bucks you cant beat it. But I may got with the pro but thats alot of coin for a dedicated FF machine. Still trying to decide which way to go.

The annoying thing is the wifi only models have no onboard GPS. I have a Stratus and of course panel based navigation but it's nice to have the redundancy.

I agree, I have a gen 3 ipad with cellular and its my ipad I let passengers use and its my backup. My Mini is wifi only but I have a stratus 2 mounted in my plane and the stratus ESG so I have double backup as well as my gen 3 as well as my GX60. I should be good for redundancies. haha

Back