What the $%#% ... Brokers Selling Planes

even the one liners offering 70% of my asking price.

Ah, yes, I remember those from when I helped some friends sell their DA40. My responses were short and sweet: "F*** you, you lowballing POS."

...seriously...

But at least I responded! :cool:

I'll never forget going with a friend to look at Pitts at a dealer. He was a new hire at American Airlines. The broker asked how long he had been working at AA. When my friend responded that he was a new hire, he was told to come back when he was year 3. He wasn't even offered a sales brochure.

I'll never forget going with a friend to look at Pitts at a dealer. He was a new hire at American Airlines. The broker asked how long he had been working at AA. When my friend responded that he was a new hire, he was told to come back when he was year 3. He wasn't even offered a sales brochure.

Worked as a "go for" in a motorcycle shop in HS. One day a guy comes in to buy one of the new Honda 750 4rs when they first came out.. yeuppp I am that old... Salesman told him he wasn't selling him the bike... the guy got ****ed off and stormed out... Later I asked why he did that... The guy said it was his first motorcycle and he was not conformable with it.. and he didn't want the bad karma..

Worked as a "go for" in a motorcycle shop in HS. One day a guy comes in to buy one of the new Honda 750 4rs when they first came out.. yeuppp I am that old... Salesman told him he wasn't selling him the bike... the guy got ****ed off and stormed out... Later I asked why he did that... The guy said it was his first motorcycle and he was not conformable with it.. and he didn't want the bad karma..

Reminds me of my early days on street bikes. After a few short, death-defying rides on a borrowed Kawi 750 Triple, I got a more manageable, KZ-1000. I still remember the dumb grins on the faces of the guys at the Kawi shop when I brought in all cash from my reenlistment bonus.

"Uncooperative" sellers have a number of reasons....

Out of touch with the market
Don't really want to sell
Tight "sellers" market
Frustrated with the process

The last "sellers" market I saw was in 2006. Coincidently, I also saw the most sellers frustrated with the process at the same time.

Something would get posted and they'd get swamped by brokers trying to be "first". I saw one 177 posted at 8am. I don't like calling people early in the morning so I waited until 11am. The seller, an older gent, had already pulled the airplane off the market because by 9am, three brokers had already gotten into a fight with him over who was "first".

By the time the market had chilled in 2010, I found the most sellers disconnected with reality. I offered one guy what was really an above market price for his Dakota (it needed a few items which I was willing to eat because it had a specific avionics configuration that was not mainstream), and he told me he'd cut it up for scrap before he sold it for that. The price he quoted me was about %10 above the 2005 value.

Brokers of all types can be hysterical. I checked out another Dakota that needed some TLC...nothing serious but would have taken 20-25 hours of A&P time to clean up various items plus some parts (mostly some inop items). I was a cash customer and wanted to work with them, but they tried every newbie trick in the book including "we'll have our MX to do the pre-buy". I finally got tired of their shenanigans and walked away.

Back