Airplane parking for a month in Anchorage?

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm planning an Alaska trip. For a month, in the middle of the trip, I need to go to Iraq. Rather than fly the airplane (C182) all the way to home base (Pittsburgh) and back I'd prefer to park up in Anchorage for a month before continuing my trip.

Can anyone offer any good suggestions? If I could get it in a hangar that'd be perfect, but outside parking wouldn't be the end of the world. It'd need to be somewhere I could get to Anchorage International from.

I’d check some local airports, Merril Field, Palmer, may be other options near. Most things cost more in AK, sure hangars are the same.

Is this a Summer month? Partly cloudy, possible rain, maybe just tie down and cover well? Lots of planes sit outside in AK, year round.

Yes, this would be summer. I'd be OK with tying down and putting a cover over it.

Should be able to find a spot at either Merrill or lake hood. No problem. Email them both and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, Merrill Field or Lake Hood Strip are fairly close. Merrill Field(PAMR) is paved, on the other side of town(20 minutes) from Ted Stevens International and busier than Lake Hood strip(Z41). I'm not sure, but I would assume Lake Hood strip parking would be a little easier to get and less expensive. Lake Hood strip has a gravel runway and parking areas, but is within easy walking distance of the terminal at Ted Stevens. Other options, as mentioned, would be
Birchwood (PABV),
Palmer Municipal (PAAQ), or even my old homebases of Kenai(PAEN) or Soldotna(PASX) which are about 60 nm south, but have regular commuter flight service into ANC for around $90 one-way.

Lake Hood is at capacity. I don’t know how they manage transients or how long they allow them to stay. They may keep a list of temporarily open spots from aircraft rebuild or guys who went on floats. Merrill has empty spaces and I’d guess that’ll be the easier place to find a spot to park. Merrill also has a gravel strip if that’s what you want. Google up the tie down offices at both and call them to ask about parking.

The last time I needed temporary hangar space at Hood was about 15 years ago and it cost $125 a day back then. It’s harder to come by and more expensive now.

Lake Hood is managed by the State and Merrill is managed by the City. Different rules and rates.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips all. I spoke to Lake Hood and they're pretty sure they can help me. Merrill looks like a good plan B.

If you're military you should also call JBER about parking at 6 Mile.

Back