Flew an SR 22 today

How did you like the side stick?

Edit: Ok.. half yoke :D

Side yoke. Please. ;) :D

I love it. I'm checked out in 20 so it's not new to me, but it feels natural to me. Keeping it trimmed can be a little touchy, but quick stabs to the trim button works well for me. I was seeing almost 2000 fpm today on initial climb out. Pretty much greased the first landing. Took a little getting used to seeing the nose pointed so low on final, but I'm hooked. Just that big bill at the end of the ride, ouch.

Side yoke. Please. ;) :D

It's a yoke, son, dontcha get it?
321.jpg

If you call a Cirrus an SUV, what do you call...say a Cessna 206?

If it's an older one I'd call it a real airplane...

(not attacking anyone, just my personal experience from flying old, beat up airplanes for a lot of years. I wouldn't own an escalade even if I could afford one. if it's not noisy, rattling and shaking like it's coming apart its not a real airplane.)

I think the Cirrus is more fairly compared to a Lexus or Acura.

In fact, in designing the cockpit I believe they used such autos as inspiration for their interior design.

Tell me about your experience so far please.

Wherever I land, there is a line of girls waiting for a ride. Always have a red carpet and a bottle of vitamin water waiting on arrival and departure. The AOA indicator ensures a perfect flight every time. Other pilots hate me because I have a chute and don’t use it, mostly because of the AOA

Wherever I land, there is a line of girls waiting for a ride. Always have a red carpet and a bottle of vitamin water waiting on arrival and departure. The AOA indicator ensures a perfect flight every time. Other pilots hate me because I have a chute and don’t use it, mostly because of the AOA

...and everybody craves an invite to mulligan's parties when they find out he knows that Bryan dude that makes Cirrus videos (and low cost, knock-off Chinese avionics).

P'shaw. I've done touch and goes in under 2 feet. On one tire. And sometimes 3 in a row on a single approach. ;)
Bounced landings don't count as multiple touch and goes.

As far as comparing the SR22 to an SUV, I think it's more like a refined sports car. Same with the Cessna 400/Ttx

I think the Cirrus is more fairly compared to a Lexus or Acura.

In fact, in designing the cockpit I believe they used such autos as inspiration for their interior design.
In some ways you are right, but I’m just not impressed with the build quality. It’s like Lexus quality materials assembled by General Motors folks.

I did a few flights in a 2014 SR2 recently and the leather seats are nice. Definitely more comfortable than the 2004 one I flew. I also think the door latches on the newer SR22s is a huge improvement. But the rest of the interior was junk. The faux suede interior panels were all detaching. The leather armrest shell would fall off every time you opened the compartment. The baggage compartment floods every time I fly through rain (door doesn’t seal).

And those drink holders: I mean seriously? I could buy better drink holders from Sportys.

And that’s on an airplane that is less than 4 years old.

And sees far less use than a 4 year old car does.

I fly a 2016 SR-22 from time to time. It's a beautiful plane, and certainly being new is a terrific thing, but I just don't like the way it handles. It's got a stiff mechanical feel to me. I also think the seats are hard, and my knees hit the bottom of the panel. It's slick, fast, and looks great, but not a plane I would buy.

Cirrus Jet uses vents from a Ford F-150. LOL.

ca1761f00e842a0a0f9583b43db20b82.jpg

Holy crap. You're right. Ranks up there with the '59 Buick door handle on my Aztec.
When that plastic vent breaks I wonder how much more the Cirrus part costs than Motorcraft? :D

IMG_0361.JPG

I fly a 2016 SR-22 from time to time. It's a beautiful plane, and certainly being new is a terrific thing, but I just don't like the way it handles. It's got a stiff mechanical feel to me. I also think the seats are hard, and my knees hit the bottom of the panel. It's slick, fast, and looks great, but not a plane I would buy.
Interesting feedback. How tall are you? I'm just a hair over 6ft, and find the plane to be the most comfortable SE GA I've been in.. even with a hat, and headset, I have no issues with headroom or legroom

Regarding the "stiff" feel: I actually really like how deliberate the airplane is, that "stiff" feeling is sure footed to me. My best landings, steep turns, etc. have all been in the Cirrus, it kind of just goes exactly where you point it. I hate using the cliche "sports car" analogy, but hand flying the Cirrus reminds me of driving our M3.. I like the stiff turbulence better too, it doesn't wallow around, it just kind of punches through the bumps. Granted, a lot of people hate the way sports cars ride, and prefer that 1992 Buick feel.. so I guess there's that

Just thought your feedback was interesting, not a criticism, since many of the things you don't like about it are the exact things I do like about it. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite, or in your opinion, best handling plane? And you're not alone, that's common feedback I've heard, even from my CSIP, that the handling is too "stiff" or whatever

Flew an SR 22 today...

....that's only 49 away from an SR71....
Awesome.

Interesting feedback. How tall are you? I'm just a hair over 6ft, and find the plane to be the most comfortable SE GA I've been in.. even with a hat, and headset, I have no issues with headroom or legroom

Regarding the "stiff" feel: I actually really like how deliberate the airplane is, that "stiff" feeling is sure footed to me. My best landings, steep turns, etc. have all been in the Cirrus, it kind of just goes exactly where you point it. I hate using the cliche "sports car" analogy, but hand flying the Cirrus reminds me of driving our M3.. I like the stiff turbulence better too, it doesn't wallow around, it just kind of punches through the bumps. Granted, a lot of people hate the way sports cars ride, and prefer that 1992 Buick feel.. so I guess there's that

Just thought your feedback was interesting, not a criticism, since many of the things you don't like about it are the exact things I do like about it. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite, or in your opinion, best handling plane? And you're not alone, that's common feedback I've heard, even from my CSIP, that the handling is too "stiff" or whatever

Awesome.

I'm 5' 7". I think that the Cirrus is more comfortable for tall people because of the way the seats move up as they slide forward. Short people need the seat further forward and that moves the seat up towards the bottom of the panel. If I slide it back to clear my knees, I can't reach the rudders as well.

The planes I've flown that In thought handled the best were a Sai Marchetti 260, and more commonly, the Bonanza. But I also like the way a Cessna handles also. I get what you mean about the BMW, I like that in a car, but for a plane, I like smooth balanced handling. I feel like I'm driving a Cirrus, but "wearing" the others.

To each his own...

Last edited:
I'm 5' 7". I think that the Cirrus is more comfortable for tall people because of the way the seats move up as they slide forward. Short people need the seat further forward and that moves the seat up towards the bottom of the panel. If I slide it back to clear my knees, I can't reach the rudders as well.
That makes a lot of sense. The way the seat slides would indeed make it problematic for shorter folks.

Back