Neutral Density Filters

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Hello,
Photography, cameras, both still and video, are not my thing. I stick the GoPro in the plane, turn it on and that's the extent of my cinematic expertise.
I don't like the "snake dance" of aircraft parts, and the "banana prop" you get with too much sun.
So, after much research, I bought an adjustable neutral density filter.
I used it today, and I got rid of the "snake dance", and "banana prop". Yaaaay!
Also everything in the upper left hand corner of the video, and made the instrument panel unreadable. Booooo!
Is there a rule of thumb on how to tune the filter for best results?
Thanks.

I bought a 4-pack of ND filters for my new Hero5 Session. I used it in the plane for the first time last week, with the ND4 filter. It got rid of most of the prop artifacts, but I do see some "jelly shake" when the sun is at the right (or wrong) angle. I'm going to fly tomorrow if the weather is decent, and I'll try the ND8 to see how it works. I think it's trial and error, which is OK by me for the $16 I spent.

Hello,
Photography, cameras, both still and video, are not my thing. I stick the GoPro in the plane, turn it on and that's the extent of my cinematic expertise.
I don't like the "snake dance" of aircraft parts, and the "banana prop" you get with too much sun.
So, after much research, I bought an adjustable neutral density filter.
I used it today, and I got rid of the "snake dance", and "banana prop". Yaaaay!
Also everything in the upper left hand corner of the video, and made the instrument panel unreadable. Booooo!
Is there a rule of thumb on how to tune the filter for best results?
Thanks.

Can you tell us which ND filter you got? That might help. I have just a fixed ND filter for the GoPro, and haven't even tried it in an airplane.

Are the adjustable ones made of 2 rotating polarizing filters? That would explain darkening of some instruments.

I read a bunch of reviews and based on those I bought a Fotga. Very inexpensive, but it has no discernible distortion, and obviously works.my problem, I suspect, I just cranked it to "11" because I figured too much of a good thing is just right.
But not for GoPros, apparently.

I read a bunch of reviews and based on those I bought a Fotga. Very inexpensive, but it has no discernible distortion, and obviously works.my problem, I suspect, I just cranked it to "11" because I figured too much of a good thing is just right.
But not for GoPros, apparently.
A ND filter essentuall darkens the light coming into the camera. One result is a change in the camera settings which, in turn, mitigates the banana prop effect.

But like most things, there's a trade off. The same dimming producing the reduced banana can also reduce color vibrancy. I know some don't use one at all for that reason and just accept the prop.

So, How high a ND setting to use? Enough to get the effect you want. That might take a bit if experimentation.

I've tried ND2 and ND4. The 2 had little effect, and the 4 didn't get rid of the rolling shutter effect enough to my liking. ND8 works very well.

Once again, The Lucky Strike will never be permeant or temporary home to any camera that shoots motion pictures. Less evidence created means less to burn.

And to be perfectly frank, I've never seen a flying video that wasn't boring unless the pilot was doing something illegal or just downright stupid.

I have two that come to mind. One for the GoPro to get rid of the funny propeller effects (haven't tried it yet) and one that I bought last summer for the solar eclipse. That one is "very" dense. Kept it on one camera for pictures before and after totality and used a different camera during totality. My wife took to pictures while I flew. The pictures aren't that great, but the view from 7500 MSL south of Salem, Oregon was absolutely incredible.

Once again, The Lucky Strike will never be permeant or temporary home to any camera that shoots motion pictures. Less evidence created means less to burn.

And to be perfectly frank, I've never seen a flying video that wasn't boring unless the pilot was doing something illegal or just downright stupid.

You must be a lot of fun at parties! :rolleyes:

I've tried ND2 and ND4. The 2 had little effect, and the 4 didn't get rid of the rolling shutter effect enough to my liking. ND8 works very well.
I'll be trying the ND8 today. I'm about to try it out and see if/how much exposure correction is needed.

You’re loads of fun. ;) Just kidding. (If you fly safely then there’s nothing to worry about. Fly well, and go somewhere interesting/scenic and your videos will indeed be interesting. It’s possible to fly both legally and with skill and have it be readily apparent in a video.)

Back