Some complex time

Not even in French? o_O
lol!!! Nope. It’s well documented the one word it does say on landing....

Truth is the A320 family (A318-A321) was the latest and greatest of technology when it came out... in the 1980’s..??
Everyone thinks it’s sooo automated. What a joke that is. It is certainly different, but not latest technology. By different I mean very different. But just different, not high tech by today’s standards.

P

the Bus doesn’t have a bitchin Betty. It’s an old POS plane.

What? You mean Airbus actually produced an airplane that assumes the flight crew can sometimes think for themselves??:eek:
Mon Dieu!

Complex endorsement in the book. That Arrow sure sinks like a rock when you pull the power with full flaps. I think I could pull the power at pattern altitude on a displaced threshold and still make the numbers. :)

We don't always leave the pattern. Perhaps always a good idea to do a GUMPS check prior to landing and for our stiff legged friends U doesn't have much meaning, except for perhaps checking U-nderwear.

When possible a visual check of the landing gear in a fixed gear airplane is a good habit. In high-wing planes often easy to do. Low wing not so much. My only Gear up landing was in a Champ, a visual check of the landing gear confirmed the left gear was going to be un-usable for the landing, it was folded back under the fuselage. Had tailwheel fall off of a Citabria towplane on take-off, but impossible to tell that on take-off from the Citabria cockpit, I was flying the glider and and to miss the tailwheel as it bounced past our wing. Let the tow pilot know once we released.

Brian

My instructor drilled into us that failure to make an audible gear check on short final is a serious problem. This came in handy on an engine problem that occurred right after takeoff. I teardropped back to the runway and remembered to put the gear down.

My instructor drilled into us that failure to make an audible gear check on short final is a serious problem. .

That, and pointing to the gear handle and/or indicator lights as being down works well too IMO.

As you have already figured out, everyone here has a different system, everyone has a different opinion and everyone else is wrong. :)
Us pilots are a wide variety bunch and if things can be accomplished multiple ways, we will find them.

Honestly, you have 2 basic options. (well 1, with a backup)
Do what works best for you without forcing it. The best habit is a natural habit. Forcing yourself to re-learn it differently can lead to trouble.
And the backup option is to remember to do it differently if your CFI/DPE requires a different method. Some of them can be quirky. ;)

I myself found out that what my old-timer CFI taught me works well for me. When I see the rwy in front of me and getting ready to land, I do the GUMPS check (I don't just mumble it, I actually perform the check, it doesn't take more than a few seconds), verbalizing it all, including a mumble that we have been cleared to land (if in a towered environment). For me, that is the most logical place to do the GUMPS check and hence it feels natural and most importantly, it comes naturally. "There's the rwy, we'll be landing, GUMPS check".
Again, this is just what works for me personally, y'all do whatever works for you.

And I loved the comment that you shouldn't worry, you will remember to put the gear down after your first gear-up landing. :D

Got the HP done this weekend in a 182. Not sure that the complex and HP will get much use from me but thought putting a few additional tools in the tool box couldn't hurt. Got some good practice going in and out of class C too, I just never have had much need to it has been a looooooong time.

Back