Extra Readings for Commercial Student Pilots

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
Hey guys. I'm looking to put together a list of some readings for my students and I was hoping to get some input. I want a list of about 10-15 themes/topics to discuss outside of the typical "here's what is in our lesson today" discussion. Most of my guys are commercial multi students (all going to the airlines soon in other countries) so ideally it would a) teach them something from someone else's mistake b) show them what resources are out there to continue learning after you've gotten your IR and private certificate.

Right now, what I have in mind is some accident case studies and maybe some SAIBs/ACs. Any themes/techniques/readings you've really enjoyed reading/learning about? Thanks for all the help!

Edit: just to be clear, I'm looking for short articles and such that are easily accessible online. Not necessarily looking to make them read/purchase an entire book.

Last edited:
There’s a book called The Killing Zone by Paul Greg that I think every new private pilot should read. Not a great title but it certainly gets your attention. Goes over ways many new pilots get into trouble after getting their license to learn. Lots of accident reviews. I’m glad I read it.

So you want us to do your leg work for you? o_O

At least you're honest. :D
Nah, I mean I have some ideas of what to include, but I don't know what I don't know and that's why I ask. Its not like I've never read ACs or accident case studies. Just looking to get ideas as to what case studies or articles people thought had a practical application to flying...

NTSB reports as case studies? The NTSB web page let’s you search on many different parameters, for example, aircraft, location, severity, etc. I was once trying to find the report for an accident I’d heard of, but really knew nothing about except that there had been fatalities. So I searched on that parameter - only that one.

After scanning a few reports, I was somewhat amazed by what they contained. Example, A pilot got delayed departing Florida for the Midwest, left anyway, many hours later crashes while attempting to land at an unlit, turf strip, not served by an instrument approach, during night, instrument conditions. He wasn’t instrument rated.

That’s just one example. The accidents with fatalities have lots of those kind of events. Maybe pick a few interesting ones, ask the students to identify which of the hazardous attitudes are at play, where could the accident chain have been broken. That sort of thing.

Find some kind of system scenario/questions that can be resolved by reading the AFM. If they're going to an airline/flying turbine equipment, knowing that the airplane documentation can and should be studied will put them well above their peers over time.

As a turbine airplane instructor, I spend a lot of time teaching stuff that they could learn on their own if they chose to spend 10-15 minutes three times a week in the AFM or POM.

Back