75 Grumman traveler purple passion

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Im looking into getting a 75 grumman traveler. I just found out it has a repair on the flap trailing edge due to delamination there several years ago. I live in the San Francisco bay area and would have the plane stored outside. is this a problem? should I move forward with the purchase?

If the airplane was repaired correctly,there should be no problem,if your worried about storing outside,get some custom aircraft covers.

Just a question, so don't panic.
How does one tell if the rest of the aircraft has the hated purple glue?

I’m pretty sure, as the owner of a 1975 Tiger, that you are guaranteed to have the purple glue from that year. Mine did and was repaired, before I bought it, by the type cert holding company. If repaired correctly, it is fine. Have someone who knows Grumman’s do the prebuy.

I’m pretty sure, as the owner of a 1975 Tiger, that you are guaranteed to have the purple glue from that year. Mine did and was repaired, before I bought it, by the type cert holding company. If repaired correctly, it is fine. Have someone who knows Grumman’s do the prebuy.
Is it a serial number thing?

All aircraft produced from April of 74 to Dec of 75. FletchAir has a complete list of serial numbers that are affected. I lucked out with an early 74 Traveler.

Call Gary Vogt at AU Country Aviation at 530-613-6488. Gary is widely known as a Grumman expert and is located near Sacramento. He would be a great source for a pre-purchase inspection. His website is aucountry.com

All aircraft produced from April of 74 to Dec of 75. FletchAir has a complete list of serial numbers that are affected. I lucked out with an early 74 Traveler.
Interesting. Thanks

Call Gary Vogt at AU Country Aviation at 530-613-6488. Gary is widely known as a Grumman expert and is located near Sacramento. He would be a great source for a pre-purchase inspection. His website is aucountry.com

ill check it out thanks.

I just joined and wanted to let you know that I have a 74 Tiger N1504R #4 of the line and it was repaired by Fletchair near Houston and it is fine. Gary is a good bet to check it out and he is nearby. Also, join the Grumman Facebook site and Gary has one called AU Country on Facebook. Lots of information. Good luck and enjoy the Grumman, I love mine and it is my second one.

Ive been looking at buying an AA5. I was reading an original POH for a 1975 AA5 on the internet and it says under the operating limitations that they were sold as VFR airplane restricted to day flight unless the electronics were upgraded. My question is - what needs to happen other then upgrading the radios and adding an interior red light? Do I need to have the local FISDO reinspect the airplane to make her able to fly at night? I currently fly an experimental and the day flight only is written right on pink special airworthiness tag. I only want to purchase a plane that is night flight capable. Thanks for any help!

Ive been looking at buying an AA5. I was reading an original POH for a 1975 AA5 on the internet and it says under the operating limitations that they were sold as VFR airplane restricted to day flight unless the electronics were upgraded. My question is - what needs to happen other then upgrading the radios and adding an interior red light? Do I need to have the local FISDO reinspect the airplane to make her able to fly at night? I currently fly an experimental and the day flight only is written right on pink special airworthiness tag. I only want to purchase a plane that is night flight capable. Thanks for any help!

I've never seen an AA5 that didn't come with position lights and interior lighting. Maybe there are a few out there. They must be rare. If you find one you can move on. There is no such limitation on my '74 model.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.205

https://www.m0a.com/required-vfr-day-night-instruments/

The POH for the 1978 AA-5A Cheetah says it a little differently:

"The airplane is equipped for day VFR (with standard equipment) and may be equipped for night VFR and/or IFR operations. FAR Part 91 establishes the minimum required instruments and equipment for these operations. The reference to types of flight operations on the operating limitations placard reflects equipment installed at the time the Airworthiness Certificate was issued."

If the airplane was repaired correctly,there should be no problem,if your worried about storing outside,get some custom aircraft covers.

What will the custom covers do? I think they will hold the moisture in and make things even worse. I wouldn't keep a Grumman outside period....

The POH for the 1978 AA-5A Cheetah says it a little differently:

"The airplane is equipped for day VFR (with standard equipment) and may be equipped for night VFR and/or IFR operations. FAR Part 91 establishes the minimum required instruments and equipment for these operations. The reference to types of flight operations on the operating limitations placard reflects equipment installed at the time the Airworthiness Certificate was issued."

And I think you would be hard-pressed to find an AA-5 or AA-5A that is not equipped for night flight. If you find one of these, you can pass on it.

What will the custom covers do? I think they will hold the moisture in and make things even worse. I wouldn't keep a Grumman outside period....

An aircraft cover will protect your avionics and panel instrumentation from premature death due to overheating. For a while, I had to store my AA-1A outside and I was baking and repairing expensive avionics at an alarming rate. Once I fitted the aircraft with a cover, that problem ceased. The canopy cover will also prevent any canopy leaks. Some Grummans are prone to leak at the canopy seal and this often drips directly on the flap switch. I replaced a bunch of those, too, until I got my cover and eventually stored my plane inside. I still use the cover on trips. Keeps the interior cool, and away from prying eyes.

Cheers.

I can vouch for water leaking right into the $75.00 flap switch.

Cover will keep water out of the airplane and the avionics. It can (and probably will) rub the paint, but keeping water out of the aircraft is well worth a bit of paint. All that said, aircraft belong indoors.

thanks for all the info and help. I took the plane to Gary and had the annual done. he said the plane is in great shape. Im very happy with it!

Back