Should I buy a high wing or a low wing airplane?

Bi-wing. Best of both worlds!

Needing to refill the popcorn hopper?

With friends like that....etc, etc.

It depends on what his needs are or what he would like to do and his physical condition. I have flown both and each has its characteristics. High wings are good for un-improved landing areas and site seeing, but I tend to go for the low wing as i rarely go into rough landing areas. Low wings tend "for me" have a better ground effect during take off and landing. I don't feel like I am ducking under a roof when flying and I have better visibility of the airfield when in the pattern turning base etc.

Yes, you should buy one of them. Two if you can afford it.

That's only the first of his conundrums. When he gets one, will he fly it LOP or ROP? And will he run Champion or Tempest plugs? Aeroshell or Philips 66? :)

What airplane to buy as always come down to the mission. The location of the wing is nearly immaterial save for aesthetic reasons.

Wingless the best way. Cheap too, at least this one:

upload_2018-3-23_15-19-15.jpeg
images

Depends.

Does your friend pee in a bucket and then dump it on the ramp when he thinks no one is looking? If so, low wing.

Or does he have the balls to just walk up to someone’s hangar, whip it out, and write his name on the door. If so, high wing.

Depends.

Does your friend pee in a bucket and then dump it on the ramp when he thinks no one is looking? If so, low wing.

Or does he have the balls to just walk up to someone’s hangar, whip it out, and write his name on the door. If so, high wing.

What if he can do both, at the same time, on the same day, the same, ah you get the idea...

Depends.

Exactly why I fly high wings.

Buy one of each,whichever you like after several flights,is the one to go with.

Low wing. If you answer high wing i question your judgement and vote to revoke your cert. Low wings look better and what good is being a pilot if we cant look sweet doing it.

Low wing. If you answer high wing i question your judgement and vote to revoke your cert. Low wings look better and what good is being a pilot if we cant look sweet doing it.
I would never say answering high wing makes me question your judgment, but I've always said that driving certain ridiculously-ugly-cars makes me question a person's judgment. The ones that come to mind: PT Cruiser, Aztec, the 2017 or newer Prius, or the Nissan Cube. If you own one of those, sorry, but I think you get your decision making card revoked.

And here I thought it was for the beautiful diamond imprints on your forehead!

You can tell a high wing pilot by the shape of the scars on the forehead..... you can tell the intelligence of the pilot by the number of scars on the forehead.....:lol:

This is a question your friend should be asking himself, after sampling both flavors.

Low wing with airstair. Best of both worlds.

Flying magazines article on the 27 best looking airplanes only included 3 high wings and I seriously disagree with one of those choices. https://www.flyingmag.com/photo-gallery/photos/top-25-most-beautiful-airplanes

Plane and pilot included no high wings in their 10 sexiest list. http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/10-sexiest-airplanes/

So I guess what it comes down to is that’s there’s only one right choice.

P&P is full of it. Any list of sexiest airplanes that doesn't include the P51 Mustang has zero credibility.

I've owned both. My biggest complaint with the Cessna was having to climb a ladder to fuel the plane. My low wing Cherokee is so much easier to fill up. My biggest complaint with the Cherokee is having to slide across the passenger seat to get to the pilot side. My Cessna had doors on both sides but you had to crawl around the strut to get in and out. Overall I much prefer the looks of low wing planes over the high wings.

Requirements and budget first of course but in very general terms....

High wing is better for photography, short field ops, soft field ops, and getting in/out of.

Low wing is better for cross country flying, handling crosswinds, handling turbulence, easier preflighting, looking cool, and impressing girls.

Back