First time at Air Venture - Coming from Florida

Surprise4508

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Surprise4508
Hi! I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband, aviation enthusiast and its our anniversary. Never been and we're flying from Florida. From what I've read on threads, Green Lake is a good place to stay, and I found rooms at the Heidel House (not campers, at least this time). Is that a decent choice from a driving distance perspective?

As far as getting around, I know it's lots of walking. But I won't have any chairs etc nothing and I'm trying to determine if I should book the EAA members seated area, bring a blanket etc. I've seen posts about golf cart auctions, bikes etc. What are some tips for preparing for the day?

I joined EAA so I can get insight into the events once they start to become posted to better plan for what to do while we're there. We've been to air shows before, nothing like this, so not entirely sure what to expect. Any suggestions on things to do that are there every year?

Thank you in advance for any help provided!

1) Is that a decent choice from a driving distance perspective?
2) What are some tips for preparing for the day?
3) Any suggestions on things to do that are there every year?
1) You should be okay driving from Green Lake. I have flown into Green Bay and left the plane there and driven back and forth to Oshkosh each day. Green Lake is closer than Green Bay. I much prefer to camp by my airplane at KOSH though.

2) I carried a small backpack with water, snacks, sun screen, camera and etc.

3). Make sure to carve out enough time to visit the EAA Museum. So much to see there.

You're flying GA or commercial? Renting a car?
Flying commercial into Milwaukee and renting car. Coming 7/26 and heading out Sunday night. So gives us 4 days in Osh.

Green Lake looks very doable, driving to Oshkosh daily. Since you have the car look into a few side attractions that may interest you, or him.

I’ve never been big on carrying chairs around. In most places the ground is fairly clean, maybe take a large towel or small blanket to sit on. I like to be light and maneuverable. A small backpack of sorts is handy, snacks, water, literature or freebies along the way.

It should be a great time, an aviation immersion of sorts.

Have you explored the EAA AirVenture website, https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure ? Lots of info under the Features & Attractions and the Plan Your Trip tabs.

There's so much to see and do, you won't see it all in 4 days. So it would help to know what you and your husband's interests are in order to provide recommendations on what to target.

As for the airshow, anywhere along the flight line will give you a pretty good view. Not sure what you mean by EAA members seated area-- do mean the EAA Aviators Club? Sure, if you want but it's $135 per person per day--kinda steep in my book. A blanket works just fine. Camping chairs like this are good too:
7789-Green-One_Size_23132.jpg

These kinds of chairs weigh less than 2 lbs and collapse into a small carrying case. I know it looks rickety, but it's surprising robust and comfortable.

Last edited:
Flying commercial into Milwaukee and renting car. Coming 7/26 and heading out Sunday night. So gives us 4 days in Osh.

You can stay in German Town and make the drive each day. It's roughly an hour straight up the road. There is a Country Inn & Suites there that is very reasonable. You get much closer and you see the rates go up.

Wife and I did not carry anything around, and there was always a place to sit and rest. The only time we wished we had brought chairs was for the Blue Angels air show. So I would recommend carrying as little around as possible, because you will be walking non stop. When you want to see the airshow, bring a chair for that event.

Backpack, sun glasses, sun block, cash, incredibly comfy shoes, hat.

Fortunately, right across the E-W road that borders 9-27 is a Target. Pick up what you need there.

Last edited:
I've only been once (2016), but I noticed your coming from Florida, and thought I just mention you might want to pack for all seasons.. being that you may be used to the warm weather, I planned to pack for cold, wet and sun.. and lucky I did. I've booked for my second visit this year and hope its more sun than cloud this time :)

What a great surprise for your anniversary!

Anyhow, you will walk lots. Lots and lots. I usually lose a few pounds Take the trams and buses every chance you get. There are benches on the grounds, plenty of seating at the seminars, the FAA seminars are air-conditioned too. The little folding camping chair mentioned up above is great. I've never done the special EAA members seating area, but you might want to. It all depends on how fit you are. The total area is about 1.5 x 1.5 miles and there are about 12000 planes to look at. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAA_AirVenture_Oshkosh)

You can't bring a bike on the ground. I've seen tons of handicap scooters. The golf carts are used by show personnel. Be careful of them; some folks drive carefully and slowly, some are idiots. Some will give you a ride.

Be prepared for traffic when you come in and when you go out. You will sit in a line (unless you get there before the gates open). Remember, there are about 200,000 people coming in spread over a week. I find how the lanes are set up is confusing, but you'll make it there eventually.

Weather can be roasting or frigid, dry or wet. There can be thunderstorms, persistent drizzle, or that beautiful blue Wisconsin sky with puffy white clouds and a wonderfully cool breeze after a front comes through.

Food. Hope you like fried but it's way better than it used to be. Even I, an avowed anti-vegetarian, craved a salad about mid-week. I started going to Subway to get my greens. Be sure to bring a water bottle. There are fountains and depending on the heat you'll want to keep hydrated. By the way, there are tons of fun restaurants around the area. Take a look at Ardy and Ed's: waitresses on roller skates, a park across the street on the lake, planes coming in to land on 27 overhead and an occasional freight train. Since you have a car you can try some of the further restaurants. Maybe some of the folks here can suggest some good ones.

Highlights:
  • Daily airshow
  • Events at the Theater in the Woods
  • Seminars about every aspect of aviation (How to buy a plane, maintain a plane, fly a plane; history, aviation celebrities, etc.)
  • Museum!!
  • Look for the plane you want to buy. :)
  • Visit the warbird area.
  • Shop for aviation gear, books, avionics, clothing, etc. in Hangars A, B, C, D. Stay away from the aggressive sleazeballs selling herbal remedies, magnetic bracelets and other crap.
  • Go to the daily morning service at the Fergus Chapel (End of service hymn: I'll Fly Away)
  • Talk to people. Some great stories. A few grumpy folks, but mostly kind and knowledgeable.
  • Volunteer and meet other great folks. (See https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/volunteer/volunteer-at-eaa-airventure-oshkosh). Working the flight line is the coolest thing you'll ever do.
What else can I say? Read through the website. Don't panic, you won't be able to see everything. AirVenture is incredible. EAA puts on a great show. Be sure to thank the EAA folks you see, the kids working the food places and, of course, the volunteers. Have a great time!

No reason to bring a chair. There is tons of nice grass to stretch out on. If you change your mind you can always pick up a chair for a few bucks from one of the vendors at the fly mart. I would skip the aviators club. Walk down the line a little bit towards the sonex booth and you can almost always find a spot to sit right on the flight line. Viewing is good from everywhere as all the planes are high enough up in the air that you will be looking up the whole time. Very few acts are on the actual runway.

Have you explored the EAA AirVenture website, https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure ? Lots of info under the Features & Attractions and the Plan Your Trip tabs.

There's so much to see and do, you won't see it all in 4 days. So it would help to know what you and your husband's interests are in order to provide recommendations on what to target.

As for the airshow, anywhere along the flight line will give you a pretty good view. Not sure what you mean by EAA members seated area-- do mean the EAA Aviators Club? Sure, if you want but it's $135 per person per day--kinda steep in my book. A blanket works just fine. Camping chairs like this are good too:
7789-Green-One_Size_23132.jpg

These kinds of chairs weigh less than 2 lbs and collapse into a small carrying case. I know it looks rickety, but it's surprising robust and comfortable.
great idea thank you!

What a great surprise for your anniversary!

Anyhow, you will walk lots. Lots and lots. I usually lose a few pounds Take the trams and buses every chance you get. There are benches on the grounds, plenty of seating at the seminars, the FAA seminars are air-conditioned too. The little folding camping chair mentioned up above is great. I've never done the special EAA members seating area, but you might want to. It all depends on how fit you are. The total area is about 1.5 x 1.5 miles and there are about 12000 planes to look at. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAA_AirVenture_Oshkosh)

You can't bring a bike on the ground. I've seen tons of handicap scooters. The golf carts are used by show personnel. Be careful of them; some folks drive carefully and slowly, some are idiots. Some will give you a ride.

Be prepared for traffic when you come in and when you go out. You will sit in a line (unless you get there before the gates open). Remember, there are about 200,000 people coming in spread over a week. I find how the lanes are set up is confusing, but you'll make it there eventually.

Weather can be roasting or frigid, dry or wet. There can be thunderstorms, persistent drizzle, or that beautiful blue Wisconsin sky with puffy white clouds and a wonderfully cool breeze after a front comes through.

Food. Hope you like fried but it's way better than it used to be. Even I, an avowed anti-vegetarian, craved a salad about mid-week. I started going to Subway to get my greens. Be sure to bring a water bottle. There are fountains and depending on the heat you'll want to keep hydrated. By the way, there are tons of fun restaurants around the area. Take a look at Ardy and Ed's: waitresses on roller skates, a park across the street on the lake, planes coming in to land on 27 overhead and an occasional freight train. Since you have a car you can try some of the further restaurants. Maybe some of the folks here can suggest some good ones.

Highlights:
  • Daily airshow
  • Events at the Theater in the Woods
  • Seminars about every aspect of aviation (How to buy a plane, maintain a plane, fly a plane; history, aviation celebrities, etc.)
  • Museum!!
  • Look for the plane you want to buy. :)
  • Visit the warbird area.
  • Shop for aviation gear, books, avionics, clothing, etc. in Hangars A, B, C, D. Stay away from the aggressive sleazeballs selling herbal remedies, magnetic bracelets and other crap.
  • Go to the daily morning service at the Fergus Chapel (End of service hymn: I'll Fly Away)
  • Talk to people. Some great stories. A few grumpy folks, but mostly kind and knowledgeable.
  • Volunteer and meet other great folks. (See https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/volunteer/volunteer-at-eaa-airventure-oshkosh). Working the flight line is the coolest thing you'll ever do.
What else can I say? Read through the website. Don't panic, you won't be able to see everything. AirVenture is incredible. EAA puts on a great show. Be sure to thank the EAA folks you see, the kids working the food places and, of course, the volunteers. Have a great time!
thanks for all the details. I've scoured the website but it doesn't seem like they've posted a lot of the seminars or events, so I was kind of struggling for what is there besides planes of course :) this gives me a good idea. The only reason I thought of the EAA members seating area was because it is our 10 yr anniversary, special occaision and it includes food/drinks all day - BUT its pricey.

The seminar schedule is fluid. Many of the speakers have already confirmed, now it's up to the staff to set up the schedule. Not as easy as you might think, with 12-20 seminars every day. Need to arrange by topic and location and availability of the speaker, etc. There will be an app ( of course ) where you can download the entire schedule of EVERYTHING then set up your personal choices.

Other than hotel and car, it's still early. I book the hotel and car as soon as I get home in August for the following year. Check out Madison and Green Bay, each about an hour drive. Much more reasonable hotel prices.

Since you have a car....park in the outlet stores on the west side of the main N-S highway and take the bus. you'll still have to sit in traffic, but someone else is driving and you can nap. Or park at the university in Oshkosh and do the same.

...Since you have a car....park in the outlet stores on the west side of the main N-S highway and take the bus. you'll still have to sit in traffic, but someone else is driving and you can nap. Or park at the university in Oshkosh and do the same.

I never thought of that. A great idea!

Stay away from appleton,prices have gone crazy. I like going to Green Bay and taking the bus back and forth from the show.

Stay away from appleton,prices have gone crazy. I like going to Green Bay and taking the bus back and forth from the show.

Plus ya can check the Packers practicing if ya like football, especially Packer football.

Hi! I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband, aviation enthusiast and its our anniversary. Never been and we're flying from Florida. From what I've read on threads, Green Lake is a good place to stay, and I found rooms at the Heidel House (not campers, at least this time). Is that a decent choice from a driving distance perspective?

Depends how much you like driving, but that's not a bad drive at all - In fact, it's an excellent drive because if you take 23 over to Ripon and then 44 the rest of the way up to Oshkosh, you'll be flying right under all of the arriving airplanes! Arrivals happen from about 7 AM - 2 PM and 6:30 PM - 8 PM each day. Do be aware that the car traffic flow is engineered to be from south to north, so you likely want to break off at Fisk Ave. and go straight east, coming in from the frontage road south of the airport. Like so:

https://goo.gl/maps/TySGDz6ojYq

As far as getting around, I know it's lots of walking. But I won't have any chairs etc nothing and I'm trying to determine if I should book the EAA members seated area, bring a blanket etc. I've seen posts about golf cart auctions, bikes etc. What are some tips for preparing for the day?

Most people sit on either blankets or camp chairs for the airshow part. Another thing you can do is go someplace like the Vintage Café on the grounds and eat and watch from there for a little while (don't hoard the tables for the entire show though).

I joined EAA so I can get insight into the events once they start to become posted to better plan for what to do while we're there. We've been to air shows before, nothing like this, so not entirely sure what to expect. Any suggestions on things to do that are there every year?

Plan your days. http://airventure.org/

There is not even close to enough time to do or see everything there in four days, or even the whole week. Hopefully you know your husband's interests a little more specifically than "Aviation" but here's a few tips I can think of:

1) Warbirds (north end of show grounds): There are many flying WWII military aircraft as well as some more recent ones from other conflicts (and other countries). The best time to see them is in the morning, since in the afternoon they're generally moving them in and out for the airshow and some will be out flying for that. Actually, right after lunch might be the best time, so that when they start firing them up for the airshow you can watch that part up close - Starting up a 1500+ horsepower engine with a big four-blade prop attached to it is pretty cool.

2) Airshow (show center): This happens every afternoon from about 2:30-6 depending on weather. Generally there are some aerobatic performers and some warbird displays. The show varies each day, with the later part of the week usually more warbird-heavy. Check the schedule and see what tickles your fancy - But don't feel like you have to see the airshow every day you're there, it can actually get old if you do! See parts of it or just do it a couple of days, unless he's really into the flying demos.

3) Vintage (south of center): Many many older civilian airplanes. Usually the oldest/most impressive will be closest to show center or just south of the ditch that runs south of the Theater in the Woods. Fun to look at.

4) Around sunset, the ultralight area will do a bunch of demos. This is kind of south and west of Vintage.

5) Night Airshow. This generally happens Wednesday night and Saturday night and starts around 8 PM when the field closes for arrivals and departures. It's much neater than the daytime airshow IMO, since it takes the regular airshow and adds lights, fireworks, and pyrotechnics! Definitely stick around for this.

6) Seaplane base. This is a good break from the hustle and bustle of the main airshow. You can pick up a bus either at the Bus Park or the far southern end of aircraft parking that'll take you to the seaplane base. There's not as much activity here, but it's definitely a neat thing to check out.

7) Air traffic control. If your husband is into ATC at all and you're going to head back to Green Lake for dinner one night, stop in Fisk on the way back - Look on Google Maps for "Fisk VFR Approach Control" - and you can watch the FAA controllers spotting planes with binoculars and talking to them on the radio as they fly overhead. The guys wearing the pink polo shirts there and on the show grounds are the air traffic controllers for the week, and it's pretty much their Super Bowl.

8) Leave some time to go through the exhibit hangars and the general display areas. It's quite a large area, and lots of things are geared towards those who are already own planes, but there's a lot of things to see. Go through and see what catches his eye at least!

9) Presentations. Check the schedule - There are tons to fit any aviation interest! Astronauts, pilots, homebuilders, you name it.

Hope this helps... And have fun! :)

You can stay in German Town and make the drive each day. It's roughly an hour straight up the road. There is a Country Inn & Suites there that is very reasonable. You get much closer and you see the rates go up.

I live in Germantown and I don't stay there! :goofy: But it sounds like she's already got rooms in Green Lake.

BTW, @Surprise4508, if you enjoy yourselves and decide to come back, think about camping or renting a motor home and staying on the field. It's almost a completely different experience to be on site 24x7. I've been doing that every year since 2006, so this will be my 13th straight year of camping on the field all week! :)

Surprise, if ya want a preview of Oshkosh, Sun-n-Fun at Lakeland is coming up next month. Not as big as Oshkosh but it's far from small too.

https://www.flysnf.org/

Note that there is neither a space in AirVenture nor Oshkosh. Nobody calls it Airventure but the EAA flacks. Everybody outside of Wisconsin calls it "Oshkosh." Inside of Wisconsin, it is known as "The EAA."

Note that there is neither a space in AirVenture nor Oshkosh. Nobody calls it Airventure but the EAA flacks. Everybody outside of Wisconsin calls it "Oshkosh." Inside of Wisconsin, it is known as "The EAA."

...but only by non-Pilots. Wisconsin Pilots still call it Oshkosh, and determine from context whether we are talking about the city, the airport, or the event. :)

...but only by non-Pilots. Wisconsin Pilots still call it Oshkosh, and determine from context whether we are talking about the city, the airport, or the event. :)
I was at the dentist and he asked what I was doing this summer and I told him I was going to Oshkosh. "For the EAA?" he asks. I told him I didn't know he was from Wisconsin. He asked how I knew and I told him nobody else calls it that.

Cyndi and I are driving from No. California with a side stop on the way in Kansas City and we are getting to our hotel on Sunday morning. It is in a really quaint little town about an hour's drive west of Oshkosh, an easy drive. Cyndi will probably want to go for a day or two, but I'm going for Sunday-leaving Thursday and I've got one forum to do, day as yet undetermined. I'll have a Press parking pass from my magazine. If you'd like to chat with Cyndi about how to do the show the best way I'd suggest you two get together outside of this newsgroup. Patch me an email to jim@rstengineering.com and I'll send it on to her for you. You may want to talk to her about this neat little hotel we found.

My 42nd year at The Show, her 6th.

Jim

I would highly recommend camping, even if you're not a big camper! That is how you receive an authentic experience! Definitely important to wear sunscreen! I learned that lesson the hard way last year when I had blistering sunburns. It was overcast the whole time and the sun still got me good!

go to the nearest WalMart and buy things that will make your trip comfortable. You will need rain gear...plan on at least one rain event.

I usually go to Wally mart and pick up a cheap chair, air mattress, and whatever stuff I need for the week. It's much cheaper than shipping. After I'm done I usually give it to someone who drove in and can use it. I think there are ways to donate items at the end of the week.

interesting thread,sub'd
o.png

You don't need to write a substance-free post to subscribe to a thread. Just go up to the top, and just above the top of the first message on the page, over on the right-hand side, is a link that says "Watch thread." Click that, choose your options, and you will get that thread in your subscribed threads even though you haven't posted on it.

Back