"Bugging" Your Heading

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
Just curious, how many of you "bug" your heading in some way, shape, or form while flying? If you started in an airplane that didn't have this capability and now have a heading bug, do you use it? My guys are transitioning from planes without heading bugs into a G500 system and they can't seem to remember to bug their headings. It's driving me crazy and other than yelling "bug your heading" over-and-over again I don't know how to fix it or make them remember how to do it. Any thoughts on how to get them to remember?

Other than when using the AP, I usually don't bother. The CFII I do IPCs with hounds me about it, but I find it annoying, like the constant scroll on ESPN that obscures the bottm edge of the field or court. I have him almost trained to shut up about it. . .

I use it constantly (student pilot). My instructors have all encouraged me to use it and now I don't think I can manage without it!

* if I get several ATC instructions including a heading, bugging it is easier than writing it or memorizing it.
* if I have to correct for the wind to stay on a course it's a lot easier with the bug
* it's the only way I can get the aileron position right for the wind while taxiing!

Just curious, how many of you "bug" your heading in some way, shape, or form while flying? If you started in an airplane that didn't have this capability and now have a heading bug, do you use it? My guys are transitioning from planes without heading bugs into a G500 system and they can't seem to remember to bug their headings. It's driving me crazy and other than yelling "bug your heading" over-and-over again I don't know how to fix it or make them remember how to do it. Any thoughts on how to get them to remember?

Tell them to write 50 times "thou shalt bug thy heading every time thou gets a heading'' and that you won't go up with them again until they do. I actually did this once. I was the student. It was "thou shall not descend below the MDA until thou haveth the airport in sight." Question though. How important is it? If they never forget their last assigned heading, is it that big a deal? I've never used a G500.

Last edited:
Isn't that about 'twisting' the CDI to the next Radial? But in the GPS world where thats not necessary, twisting the bug can give you something to do when you get to that T
I use "twist" to check that the GPS is in approach mode and that the CDI is on the correct nav source.

Back to the OP, I use the heading bug to cage my course corrections when on the localizer and past the FAF.

Tell them to write 50 times "thou shalt bug thy heading every time thou gets a heading'' and that you won't go up with them again until they do. I actually did this once. I was the student. It was "thou shall not descend below the MDA until thou haveth the airport in sight." Question though. How important is it? If they never forget their last assigned heading, is it that big a deal? I've never used a G500.
I think it's super important even if they don't forget their heading that they bug it. It's a resource and it takes two seconds at most. Could save them a PD, could prevent landing on the wrong runway, could keep them from CFIT into a mountain... who knows? But, it also sets the standard and makes it apparent how far off their heading they are. I like your idea. I think I'm going to make them write this next time they fail to bug their heading or altitude.

I think it's super important even if they don't forget their heading that they bug it. It's a resource and it takes two seconds at most. Could save them a PD, could prevent landing on the wrong runway, could keep them from CFIT into a mountain... who knows? But, it also sets the standard and makes it apparent how far off their heading they are. I like your idea. I think I'm going to make them write this next time they fail to bug their heading or altitude.
On the G1000, you just press the heading knob to set the bug to the current heading. Is the G500 the same way?

I get that. Learn good habits and routines and stick with them. I still don't know for sure if he was serious that he wouldn't go up again until I did it. I saw the value and did it.

I do it all the time unless i received an instruction such as to turn to x heading after x fix. I got in this habit because at my first airline it was common practice to do so and at my current carrier its standard practice to do so. I try to keep my flying consistent across the board so I even do it when I'm flying my bird

Like others, I got used to bugging when I have one. Wish I could think of something special. It's the same issue as rotating the CDI to the course for a localizer. Not necessary but a good practice. Repetition.

Hmmm... how about this?

I assume there's an autopilot. Do a session spending a lot of time flying with the autopilot in HDG mode. Do it under the hood with lots of heading changes. Kills a few birds with one stone. Use of the heading bug is necessary. It also focuses attention on reading the glass display and gets some autopilot time in. Perhaps even with the autopilot off, he'll find the hood work easier with the bug. It usually helps people stay on heading. "Turn to the bug" is more visual than "I'm off by 7 degrees right," and easier for some. Might just help firm the bug habit.

I use the snap feature a ton.

Fore take off I snap the runway, I fly runway heading to about 400AGL.

I always have my heading bug synced to my current heading when the AP is flying NAV GPS, when I get the ATIS and it's a ILS I can switch the AP to heading, the plane is still going the right direction as I swap nav sources around to VNAV and set my OBS and whatnot for the ILS, then back to GPS mode and AP back to nav.

Once they start vectoring me, I go heading mode, nav source to ILS and I'm already all set up.

If that makes sense

I use the snap feature a ton.

Fore take off I snap the runway, I fly runway heading to about 400AGL.

I always have my heading bug synced to my current heading when the AP is flying NAV GPS, when I get the ATIS and it's a ILS I can switch the AP to heading, the plane is still going the right direction as I swap nav sources around to VNAV and set my OBS and whatnot for the ILS, then back to GPS mode and AP back to nav.

Once they start vectoring me, I go heading mode, nav source to ILS and I'm already all set up.

If that makes sense
It does. Even without the snap.

I just started using the bug... I especially like using it to mark the headings directed by ATC...

Also:
I bug wind direction when I’m taxiing or getting in the pattern. I use the OBS on my HSI for runway heading at the same time.

How long did they fly without a bug? Why do they suddenly need a bug now? They won’t remember until they have a reason to remember. Your craziness and yelling are not reasons.

Similar to James, I nearly always use it when given a heading to fly (as a reminder) and obviously when coupled to the AP (regardless of mode as I can always downgrade to heading mode). I also always set it on the ground to runway heading before takeoff. I’ve had vertigo enough in my career that I like knowing that if I get out of sorts on takeoff/during the transition to IMC, I can reach down and engage the AP (heading mode...one button push) and the airplane will do nothing extreme while I’m already tumbled.

Can’t really help with the learning issue though, other than to consistently require its use to drive it into their habit pattern. It’s a crutch; however, it WILL help keep them from turning to the wrong heading at some point (probably many times). And at the least, it might save them from an ATC query, at best it might keep them from incurring a PDR or from flying into a mountain in IMC.

If so equipped, I always use it. Give me one reason not to. Just another tool in the toolbox.

Always bug my heading. I also set the nav 2 CDI for wind direction on take off or landing, it's an added visual.

Always bug my heading. I also set the nav 2 CDI for wind direction on take off or landing, it's an added visual.

Always bug my heading too, great reminder for wind direction while taxi, or when coming in for landing. CDI is an interesting choice, never done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often do, just as a visual reference to where I should be headed. This is my first aircraft so equipped, though.

How long did they fly without a bug? Why do they suddenly need a bug now? They won’t remember until they have a reason to remember. Your craziness and yelling are not reasons.

I somewhat agree here, if the student is a VFR guy flying a non AP plane, they won't have as much of a need, and probably won't really use it as much.

Once they get into IFR, especially single pilot with a AP, you won't have to remind them if they are trained correctly as it will lower their workload.

Yes, I like the quick reference to course. Plus with longer distances, I've started flying 10 or 15 minutes to make sure I feel out the airplane, then AP with the heading bug.

. It's driving me crazy and other than yelling "bug your heading" over-and-over again I don't know how to fix it or make them remember how to do it. Any thoughts on how to get them to remember?

images

Using a G300, I like to set the bug for the wind direction, then use the "Direct To" function for heading and course deviation. It can be difficult for a student pilot to figure out where the wind is coming from, and the wind speed/direction function (GPS) on the G300 is sometimes slow or inaccurate. Since the Skycatcher is so light, wind makes a big difference. For a reminder, make it part of the checklist.

Most of my flying have been in airplanes without a heading bug. The plane we now own has a heading bug, and I have to consciously remind myself to use it if I am not using the autopilot.

My previous CFI only taught me to use the bug with the autopilot.
We would go to VNY and do a ton of pattern work but we always followed the 405 FWY on downwind.
Now I have a new CFI, based in VNY, and he made me realize that the pattern I was flying (along the 405 FWY) is not the correct one. 405 is more of a 360/180 but the RWY is 340/160.
I know it's "only" 20 degrees, but if I can make it perfect, why shouldn't I? So now I always use the heading bug to know exactly when my 90 degree crosswind turn is completed, know exactly where my downwind is, and know how much to turn for the base leg.
I used to eyeball the pattern and the fwy and the streets gave me a false track to follow but with the bug I can do better now.

KVNY.png

Is this a Senior Moment thing? Been flying without one for 18 years, hasn't been a problem.

* No Gxxx, no George.

Is this a Senior Moment thing? Been flying without one for 18 years, hasn't been a problem.

* No Gxxx, no George.

Of course not. And you kids get off my lawn!

Hippike: I worked briefly with a CFI that suggested the same - setting the heading bud on the G300 to the T/O runway heading. Same reason, to make accurate 90 degree turns in the pattern for repeating touch and go. So what. Nobody learns to fly so they can go around in circles (rectangles?). A FAR more experienced veteran pilot gave me the idea to set the bug to current wind direction - much more useful information for taxi, take off, practicing maneuvers, wind correction, and landing. IAW, real flying.

Hippike: I worked briefly with a CFI that suggested the same - setting the heading bud on the G300 to the T/O runway heading. Same reason, to make accurate 90 degree turns in the pattern for repeating touch and go. So what. Nobody learns to fly so they can go around in circles (rectangles?). A FAR more experienced veteran pilot gave me the idea to set the bug to current wind direction - much more useful information for taxi, take off, practicing maneuvers, wind correction, and landing. IAW, real flying.

Most of the instructors I know who teach “bug on takeoff”, it’s really part of the last check to make sure a) the DG isn’t precessing, b) you’re on the right darn runway. Any ability to use it for pattern “squareness” is just a bonus.

Most of the instructors I know who teach “bug on takeoff”, it’s really part of the last check to make sure a) the DG isn’t precessing, b) you’re on the right darn runway. Any ability to use it for pattern “squareness” is just a bonus.
On top of taking off from the right runway, it helps you land on the right runway too. During instrument training, my instructor and myself both lost situational awareness (was told by approach and tower three different runways). Ended up turning final for the wrong runway... of course this was the only time that I haven't bugged my heading for final. Was a bit embarrassing but after my CFI called the tower it was a non-issue. It was also my 100th hour of TT when this happened too--guess I got a bit complacent.

I always bug take off rwy, landing rwy, ATC vectors, courses, etc. If I'm just VFR sightseeing then I'll just leave it on the rwy heading

Just another tool to have

* No Gxxx, no George.
Nah, it's just about using the tools the airplane gives you to make things simpler. I'm sure there are plenty of folks with minimalist cockpits who don't have a DG and have been flying without one for many years without a problem. But if they have a DG, might as well use it.

Back