Speedboat peeps, some vintage California sweetness?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys,

As far as fun bad ideas go, this one has me thinking.

Mission would be putting around the river at the house rookie beer and fishing with a friend or two, but also ripping around the larger lakes around here, like to have something that looks good but is also fast enough get a little pucker factor, target would be 70-80mph.

It's a 18' Tahiti, heavy duty go fast boat built back in Californians good years, it's got good bones and trailer.
Under $1k

Needs
New transom, the wooden one is a little soft, thinking about going with coosa board.
Figuring $600 in materials and a weekend

New gelcoat, I can't be seen in it looking like that, thinking a nice clean and crisp red with white bottom paint and maybe a stripe.
I was told for me to gel coat it, I'm looking at $400gun, 5hp compressor, 4gal of product at $400 a gal and about 100 hours work

Engine and controls, I'd like to keep it same vintage, 150HP, like a restored Merc 1500 XS, electric trim ofcourse, thinking I might be able to score one for like $2-3k? Also been told to look into getting a newer engine.
Kinda like this
attachment.php

Misc wiring, new carpets and maybe change the upholstery a littlethinking tan might look better, , new gauges, steering wheel, forward fuel tank and battery
Thinking $1500-2k

Thoughts, is this a fun little project, or a oh my god you gonna go broke and die lol

The boat

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just me, but I don't see much fishing going on in that boat. Not much room to move, I only bass fish from our boats so constantly moving around. I could see it being OK if you trolled. I definitely see it being a dang good beer drinking and hell raising boat :D.

Sorry I can't help you out with the pricing. I have a 1996 hydrasport center console with a 2014 evinrude E-TEC. Boat and engine are a champ, all I really do is buy oil for it and keep it somewhat clean. Very little maintenance issues especially with the newer outboard.

James, what state(s) will allow boaters to rip around at 70-80mph on public lakes? That might determine your next steps in boat ownership.

James, what state(s) will allow boaters to rip around at 70-80mph on public lakes? That might determine your next steps in boat ownership.

There are more than a few around here, I'm more worried about the money and time.

Last summer I was actually pacing a guy in a big fountain twin in my 185, had some flaps out, but I was staying right abeam to him at a little over 70kts

I know in SC we have no speed limit on any public lake. Which I like, my dad has a skeeter with a 250 and we love to let it eat. But that also means a 14 year old whose completed the boater safety course can also scream 90 mph in their dads Bullet.

There are more than a few around here, I'm more worried about the money and time.

Last summer I was actually pacing a guy in a big fountain twin in my 185, had some flaps out, but I was staying right abeam to him at a little over 70kts

Are you in NY state?

I don't know of any locale around here where a lake has a speed limit. However, in a boat like James is contemplating, the water conditions at pretty much any time other than 7 on a weekday morning will keep his speed down.

Out here in AZ there is no speed limits on the lakes that I am aware of.

I wouldn't give more than $500 for an empty hull. It's worth just about nothing, other than the trailer which is roughly $300 value for a single axle. An easier/quicker option for the paint is doing a vinyl wrap. you can do any sort of a crazy design and they'll have it applied in a day or two. The transom can be done fairly easily, I'm a fan of a product called "SeaCast". I used it to rebuild the transom in my '70s runabout. Easy to mix/pour, and comes out solid as a rock. If my boat sinks, it won't be related to transom failure, lol.

As far as engines, you could go with a vintage 2-stroke model, but the modern 4-strokes are hard to beat for overall ease of use. They don't have quite the "scream" of the 150-200HP 2-strokes though. You might at least consider one of the oil-injected 2-strokes so that you don't have to keep premix around with you all the time.

I don't know that you'll hit 80mph with 150HP, but 60's are probably doable. Guys in 250HP bass boats often can't get quite to 80mph. I'm sure a Bullet or Allison might touch it. 300HP will get them into the 80's.

Judging by the pictures, the original gel coat looks like it's in pretty good condition to me.

Throttle between the seats? Huh?

The fun part is it's designed to be operated by the right hand, so he won't have use of the thumb-operated trim switch while underway. I suppose he could strengthen up his pinky finger muscles, lol.

Judging by the pictures, the original gel coat looks like it's in pretty good condition to me.
Tough to tell with those photos. If my experience with other 70's vintage jet boats is any indication, I'd bet the paintwork has plenty of cracks/spider-webbing in it. Looks good from 10' away, not so much 2' away. If he's lucky, it's just oxidized and a fresh polish/wax will shine it right up.

I’m pretty ignorant about power boating. Glad to hear there are still places where people can let the dinosaurs roar out the backsides of internal combustion locomotors whilst screaming across the surface of an inland body of water.

Make sure and mix some glitter in that gelcoat and don't forget your speedo, budweiser, and Motley Crue CD......I say go for it!

Ever since the USS Cole attack, speedboats have made me very nervous.

For those of you not following the one thread or those that are dimwitted that is a little cross thread sarcastic absurdity. Please disregard as you see fit.

Sorry for the hijack, James.

Oh damn. Did I really say hijack? Now I’ve scared myself.

Where are my meds?

Make sure and mix some glitter in that gelcoat and don't forget your speedo, budweiser, and Motley Crue CD......I say go for it!

You forgot the most important item. Pam Anderson or a reasonable facsimile.

I wouldn't give more than $500 for an empty hull. It's worth just about nothing, other than the trailer which is roughly $300 value for a single axle. An easier/quicker option for the paint is doing a vinyl wrap. you can do any sort of a crazy design and they'll have it applied in a day or two. The transom can be done fairly easily, I'm a fan of a product called "SeaCast". I used it to rebuild the transom in my '70s runabout. Easy to mix/pour, and comes out solid as a rock. If my boat sinks, it won't be related to transom failure, lol.

As far as engines, you could go with a vintage 2-stroke model, but the modern 4-strokes are hard to beat for overall ease of use. They don't have quite the "scream" of the 150-200HP 2-strokes though. You might at least consider one of the oil-injected 2-strokes so that you don't have to keep premix around with you all the time.

I don't know that you'll hit 80mph with 150HP, but 60's are probably doable. Guys in 250HP bass boats often can't get quite to 80mph. I'm sure a Bullet or Allison might touch it. 300HP will get them into the 80's.

Think like $800 for the boat and trailer would be fair?

To me this is kind like a Harley, I'd like scream and motor romance of a straigh six two stroke. Just wonder with 150hp and removing the small amount of drag from the sounder/speedo thing (I'd go with a GPS speedo), moving fuel weight to the bow if I could at least hit 70mph

Yeah, that would change, not sure why they did that.

Since I'd be doing the transom and whatnot, I'd rather take some time over a month to give her a proper gelcoat.

Ha! I debate doing the metal flake, keeping it straight 70s, might just go with a pearl if I can.

For those of you not following the one thread or those that are dimwitted that is a little cross thread sarcastic absurdity. Please disregard as you see fit.

Where are my meds?

Lol

You forgot the most important item. Pam Anderson or a reasonable facsimile.

Lol, got a good looking brunette, but it's a college town so that aspect isn't that hard lol

Where are my meds?

upload_2018-3-21_20-45-0.jpeg

Think like $800 for the boat and trailer would be fair?

To me this is kind like a Harley, I'd like scream and motor romance of a straigh six two stroke. Just wonder with 150hp and removing the small amount of drag from the sounder/speedo thing (I'd go with a GPS speedo), moving fuel weight to the bow if I could at least hit 70mph

I would imagine low-mid 60’s is more likely. If you found an old XR200 you might get to 70’s. Better yet, go find one of the old Allison GrandSport hulls which could run 80 on a 150HP Merc, lol. I’m no expert on 70’s speed boats. I’ve been in a few Big Block powered jet boats, but not much with outboard power. The FIL just sold his 22' jet boat with the blown 468 Chevy in it. The thing was too loud to even talk to someone sitting right next to you without screaming, lol. I believe it was putting out somewhere in the neighborhood of 750HP on a conservative tune. I don't know what speed it was capabale of, because it normally couldn't get enough water "packed" into the pump to use all of the available engine power. We definitely got up around 90mph, but with some work to the Berkley pump and a scoop to load the pump better, it'd probably be capable of 100-110mph. His 22' jet boat was a pretty heavy "cruiser" style, so it weighs a bit more than the 17'-18' jet boats that are most common. Looked similar to this:

DSC08799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The fun part is it's designed to be operated by the right hand, so he won't have use of the thumb-operated trim switch while underway. I suppose he could strengthen up his pinky finger muscles, lol.
I guess in that boat the navigator/pilot and engineer are two separate positions.

Right seat: "Ahead full, all engines."
Left seat: "She canna' take much more, sir!"

Those wooden barrelbacks are beautiful boats, I'd never take it out for fear of damaging the finish, lol. I've heard some can have some interesting handling characteristics, too.

Everyone loves a wooden speed boat, till it's time to be a wooden speed boat owner lol

I'll be pulling every splinter of wood out of this thing, minus maybe a sweet wood steering wheel, wood is pretty, but as far as boats go I'll stick to my wood canoe lol

So looks like I might be pulling the trigger on this thing, everything seems about right, minus that engine, the Merc 1500XS has a little more of a holy grail status than I thought, found a pristine one, just rebuilt, but it's almost twice what I was budgeting. Seems like they are becoming the marine version of a classic muscle car.

All boats, regardless of construction material, are a hole in the water into which you pour money. Since you're already an airplane owner, you're as prepared as you can ever be.

All boats, regardless of construction material, are a hole in the water into which you pour money. Since you're already an airplane owner, you're as prepared as you can ever be.

As long as it's a loud, shiny and scary fast hole

As long as it's a loud, shiny and scary fast hole

It certainly should be if you can find the Mercury 2 cycle. Those were fast, loud and (compared to the 4 cycle Johnson at the time) fragile. I spent lots of my youth water skiing behind such engines.

It’s not a speedboat unless you have a bunch of drunk chicks on it wearing pasties and dancing to EDM music. Make sure to complete the whole package with a lifted F350 on 22 inch deep dish rims and a stripper girl sticker on the back window.

Trust me I see the **** show all summer long here in AZ ;)

We don't have speed limits on lakes in Texas. Do you???? Lol

Only speed limits on most lakes in OK/TX usually apply to operation at night. The lakes that don’t want boats going fast are usually fishing lakes and solve the problem with a horsepower limitation (usually 10HP max). That’s why the 9.9HP outboard motor exists and is prevalent in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50% dock footage, 10 seconds of seeing it go fast, and never ending slo-mo to finish the video.

Someone please shoot the video makers. They obviously have zero clue as to why they were making that video. :)
Lol, yeah I love when someone makes a video about cars/engines and fills the whole thing full of techno/dubstep music, lol. Like a give a flip about your ****ty music choices, let me hear the engine!

I bought this 1967 Howard in 2001. It took two years to restore it to this condition. Believe me when I say if you ever need to have aluminum polished, pay someone to do it. It was a v-drive, which is not a beginner boat. You can find a fixer upper with a V-8 and jet propulsion for around $3,000, expect to spend another $2,000. Unless you have previous experience with a vintage outboard, I would recommend against buying one.

I had knee replacements done in 2008 and 2011. It has really limited my mobility, so I sold the boat in 2015. It was a bunch of fun, top speed was about 80 MPH. I didn't push it, the engine was a Ford 427 FE center oiler. It had never been bored out and all the parts were the 1963 stock pieces. I rebuilt it, and it ran great. Never had any issues with it. I paid $8K for it because the engine was a rarity, and I spent another $6K on the restoration.

Obviously you don't have to spend that much to put together a nice boat.

33338174370_24bf54a79d_z.jpg

the engine was a Ford 427 FE center oiler. It had never been bored out and all the parts were the 1963 stock pieces. I rebuilt it, and it ran great. Never had any issues with it. I paid $8K for it because the engine was a rarity, and I spent another $6K on the restoration.

Man, I woulda given your money back just to have the engine....Looks really good..!!

Back in the mid 80s I was in AJ Foyts shop. I saw a wall with a canvass curtain, so I pulled it back. There on the shelf were 5 Ford 427 SOHC motors. According to the person I was with, AJs shop manager at the time, those SOHC motors were bought brand new from Ford to be used in NASCAR but the motor was banned from NASCAR without ever running a race. Too bad, they would have dominated the Hemis, and then the horse power fun would have really started.

I don't think AJ ever threw anything away. There was a room full of damaged crank shafts. All tagged noting when and where the engine was damaged.

Back