Why I fly

Interesting video, definitely not around here. Too low for me, and I miss engine sounds and voices. Our tastes in music don't overlap much . . . .

But the video is crisp, clear and well edited!

Our tastes in music don't overlap much . . . .
It might more than you think. As I mentioned in another thread, I primarily listen to country, but it just doesn't work well in flight videos.

Cool. Really like the left strut mount view. Guessing those are Class G clouds?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Great video, Austin. Makes me really want to get the hangar and runway built so I can get that Cub, although there's no flying quite like that out here.

A better “why” is why do the 180s always sound so awesome on take off? I could watch the first few secs of that vid over and over.

Just a different prop on 180s? Higher rpm?

Anything with enough RPM and long enough prop blades that can maintain the RPM via horsepower. I couldn’t tell you if his has a power upgrade or just a long prop though.

A 182 will do it depending on atmospheric conditions and a turbo 182 will do it nearly all the time.

Which leads to why we often want to pull the prop control back and lower the RPM for noise abatement — wherever ninnies move in around airports — on airplanes with enough horsepower to do it and constant speed props.

Oops, did I say that ninny part out loud. Cough. :)

Haven’t you ever heard of Austin Powered?
International Man Of Aviation Mystery!

A better “why” is why do the 180s always sound so awesome on take off?

@Mtns2Skies since I haven’t seen that thing yet, you have anything special under the cowl?

Short answer, nothing special under the cowl. But to address the original question, that is not actually Austin's 180 take-off sound :eek:. His camera doesn't record audio, so he snagged some from a YouTube video (tsk tsk).

Short answer, nothing special under the cowl. But to address the original question, that is not actually Austin's 180 take-off sound :eek:. His camera doesn't record audio, so he snagged some from a YouTube video (tsk tsk).

Oh that’s funny right there. ;)

That’s heinous. That calls for an outright permanent POA ban. Self imposed at that.:p

Why DO airplane and flying videos always have such "ugh" music. I would much (MUCH) rather listen to the sound of the engines; its what my kids call "Dad Music".

Why DO airplane and flying videos always have such "ugh" music. I would much (MUCH) rather listen to the sound of the engines; its what my kids call "Dad Music".
Because if you didn't see before, my camera doesn't record audio. You're free to dub over whatever soundtrack you'd like. It would literally be impossible to please everyone with what I decide to do, so I decided to make a video I'd enjoy.

And I do.

Often the choices are extremely limited for unlicensed or freely licensed music, too. Anything with a decent popular tune is going to get caught by the automatic bots at YouTube and the video taken down for a copyright violation.

Totally annoying for personal non-monetized videos, understandable for monetized or business videos. But that’s not how it works out legally, so you end up with a lot of crappy background tracks.

I try to forget all about flying but like an addiction I come back and end up watchinga video like yours. I miss it. Love everything about the video, post more! ;)
I've got plenty more just look at my vimeo page! Though I think this was my favorite I've ever made.

Back