Family Flying Trip To Black Hills - Is This Sound?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
This has been the top of my trip wish list since we got the plane. I wanted to wait until I have my PPL so now its real :) This is my first long distance flight plan. Please advise/critique. Areas where I am unsure or weak are underlined below:

The Basics:
  • Plane: C182 (Carb, 78gals, fixed gear).
  • Passengers: 2 Adults, 1 child
  • Distance: ~400nm {Almost due west}
  • Route: KGYL->KHON->KRAP or KGYL->KHON->KCUT
  • Flight Rules: VFR Only (I'm PPL, wife is IR but not IFR current). Although we're both night current, will avoid night flight.
  • Date: As soon as next week (Daughter's spring break)
About 3 days out
  1. Verify hotels will be available (do not reserve - avoid pressure to have to fly)
  2. Verify car rental (do not reserve unless cancelation up to last minute)
  3. Verify hangar availability if it will be too cold to start on return date.
  4. Plan out flight plan with alternates, frequencies, which altitudes to fly, etc
Night Before
  1. Check TAF's and other wx sources for next 3-4 days for any precip, winds, etc.
    1. Abort if any wx or personal minimums are blown.
  2. Call FSS briefer for a full standard brief.
  3. Check plane one last time (tires, strut, top off oil for X/C, fueled up, sumped, etc)
  4. Plug in the tannis if needed.
  5. Charge all gadgets (dual tablets, backup GPS), verify paper charts, etc.
Departure Day:
  1. Verify TAF's along the route. Check other wx sources for next 3 days for precip and winds.
    1. Abort here if any wx or personal minimums are blown.
  2. Call briefer again to double check.
  3. Drive out to airport, normal preflight while they load the plane.
  4. Depart home field around 8am. Obtain flight following. Maybe activate VFR flight plan???
    1. Might do the 1st half of this one under hood with wife as Safety Pilot.
    2. If headwinds are strong might fly at 4500msl to start out otherwise 6500msl
  5. Quick stop in Huron about 80min later to let the ladies use the bathroom
  6. Since we'll be flying lower to avoid westerly winds, will need to climb up along this leg as terrain will come up another 3000ft or so during this part, even more for KCUT and Mt.Rushmore
  7. If we're making really good time, fly by Mt.Rushmore
    1. Still trying to figure this one out. The most I know so far is to stay 2000ft or more above and I think you also have to be a certain X miles away. I think we're supposed to get on with Ellsworth Approach and be very observant for local Heli-Tours and other similar sighting seeing planes. I saw their frequency once someplace (???) so we could monitor that along with approach to be as safe as possible.
  8. Then either land at KRAP or KCUT ?????
    1. KRAP seems better as its lower altitude, better access to rental car, etc. Be especially vigilant to not land at Ellsworth!!! We'd like the plane in the hangar overnight if it will be cold so not sure if this is possible there?
    2. KCUT: Sounds like the FBO operator is really good. We would need a car so not sure if they can arrange that? That runway is like 5600msl. Obviously one concern is leaning for density altitude. However our plan is to go soon (ie when its cooler) so not sure how much of an issue this will be in the 182 in March or April.
  9. Pick up the car
  10. Check in hotel. Swim in a pool with the kiddo :) See Mt.Rushmore at night!
See the Sights (2 Full Days - But will cut short if it excess winds, ceilings or precip)
  1. Open to recommedations!!!!
Return Day:
  1. Check TAF's, call briefer - make sure wx is good to go.
  2. Check out, drop off the car, add oil for X/C.
  3. Depart KRAP or KCUT - Perhaps fly at 9500 going east if the winds are good.
    1. We do keep a pulse oximeter and few cans of O2 in the plane but should not need it at 9500 but we would take our readings to see/learn.
  4. Try for more than halfway, stop at Mavericks in Sioux Falls (KFSD) for fuel and food.
  5. Last leg back home about 90min
  6. Might do another 30min of hood time on this leg as well.
  7. Could do this entire flight in 1 hop of winds are good and people bladders hold up.

Is all of this safe, practical, doable?

Looks doable to me...
I've been planning a trip to KRAP all this winter, but the weather has not cooperated. My flight there is more than twice as far as yours (865 nm if I fly OVER lake Michigan...brrrr). One thing I've noticed is the worst of the weather seems to be between me and you...once I would get to your area, the weather nearly always improves.
Another thing I've noticed is my flight out would almost always be about 2 hours longer than my flight back due to westerly winter winds.
South Dakota has VERY FEW car rental locations...3 cities total! Good thing Rapid City is one of them.

Oh, and as always...have a "I'm gonna be 3 days late for work" kind of plan, just in case weather closes in.

You beat me to it, that's what I was going to add...

Sounds like a fun trip, looks like you have thought it through! Curious about the hood part though, is your wife a pilot?

You beat me to it, that's what I was going to add...

Sounds like a fun trip, looks like you have thought it through! Curious about the hood part though, is your wife a pilot?
Yes, she was a commuter pilot many years ago and has her commercial, IR, complex, seaplane, tailwheel, multi-engine for inline and whatever you call it out on each wing :) But she's just being flying VFR tailwheel and our 182 lately. She is not an instructor. But she can definitely be my safety pilot for a little VFR X/C hood time.

Oh, and as always...have a "I'm gonna be 3 days late for work" kind of plan, just in case weather closes in.
That's kinda the timing for this post. We both have time blocked off for this spring break to hang our with our daughter. So we should be flexible up to 2 or 3 days between the departure and return.

Yes, she was a commuter pilot many years ago and has her commercial, IR, complex, seaplane, tailwheel, multi-engine for inline and whatever you call it out on each wing :) But she's just being flying VFR tailwheel and our 182 lately. She is not an instructor. But she can definitely be my safety pilot for a little VFR X/C hood time.

LOL, well that being the case, what does she think about your plan? ;) Have fun!

LOL, well that being the case, what does she think about your plan? ;) Have fun!
Frankly, probably a bit nervous. Her last X/C was VFR in a Aeronca Chief out to Indiana or Ohio about 15yrs ago. No tablets. No electrical. And A handheld. She friggin' rocks at trimming the plane to perfection, pilotage and nasty crosswind landings!!! (that is envy there BTW).

She's not instrument current though for going on 15yrs. But I have a hunch this trip might get her fired up to fly with her CFII bestie and get back in the game. She's mainly worried at how much has changed regarding the FAR's, airspace and instrument procedures. We don't have RNAV capability in the old Skylane but she is awesome at VOR/DME stuff.

Now ya talking Brad! That beats the 50 NM XCs you been planning! Oh, wife going with, no cheating then!

She's not instrument current though for going on 15yrs. But I have a hunch this trip might get her fired up to fly with her CFII bestie and get back in the game. She's mainly worried at how much has changed regarding the FAR's, airspace and instrument procedures. We don't have RNAV capability in the old Skylane but she is awesome at VOR/DME stuff.

Not much has changed much in the last 15 years. GPS approaches the biggy now of course. She'll be fine.

ha, i have been planning this trip for about 2 months now!!
my route is KFAR > KABR > KPIR > KABR (i like to switch tanks over an airport)
and i am most likely coming back the same day, if i am going solo or with a co-pilot. hint @ArnoldPalmer
about the Mt. Rushmore fly around

here is a video of Custer flight

KRAP to KCUT flight -

the watch the videos so you get an idea of the terrain. there is another one, cant find it right now that was from KRAP to fly over Mt. Rushmore and back. i believe he told tower - tour of the heads and you get vectors to ensure u dont get into Allisworth EFB airspace

my only concern it getting to 9000+ from KRAP, if its middle of the day in summer, definitely not doing it, unless i can circle and climb over KRAP. i see the highest point there is 7242, but thats not Mt. Rushmore, its close to it

upload_2018-3-19_17-32-46.png

A friend of mine, his mom and dad flew and had their own plane. Pop could not get a medical but took the training. Mom had the medical and certificate and was instrument rated. When they flew together pop aviated while mom navigated and communicated. Worked great for them.!!

This has been the top of my trip wish list since we got the plane. I wanted to wait until I have my PPL so now its real :) This is my first long distance flight plan. Please advise/critique. Areas where I am unsure or weak are underlined below:

The Basics:
  • Plane: C182 (Carb, 78gals, fixed gear).
  • Passengers: 2 Adults, 1 child
  • Distance: ~400nm {Almost due west}
  • Route: KGYL->KHON->KRAP or KGYL->KHON->KCUT
  • Flight Rules: VFR Only (I'm PPL, wife is IR but not IFR current). Although we're both night current, will avoid night flight.
  • Date: As soon as next week (Daughter's spring break)
About 3 days out
  1. Verify hotels will be available (do not reserve - avoid pressure to have to fly)
  2. Verify car rental (do not reserve unless cancelation up to last minute)
  3. Verify hangar availability if it will be too cold to start on return date.
  4. Plan out flight plan with alternates, frequencies, which altitudes to fly, etc
Night Before
  1. Check TAF's and other wx sources for next 3-4 days for any precip, winds, etc.
  2. Call FSS briefer for a full standard brief.
  3. Check plane one last time (tires, strut, top off oil for X/C, fueled up, sumped, etc)
  4. Plug in the tannis if needed.
  5. Charge all gadgets (dual tablets, backup GPS), verify paper charts, etc.
Departure Day:
  1. Verify TAF's along the route. Check other wx sources for next 3 days for precip and winds.
    1. Abort here if any wx or personal minimums are blown.
  2. Call briefer again to double check.
  3. Drive out to airport, normal preflight while they load the plane.
  4. Depart home field around 8am. Obtain flight following. Maybe activate VFR flight plan???
    1. Might do the 1st half of this one under hood with wife as Safety Pilot.
    2. If headwinds are strong might fly at 4500msl to start out otherwise 6500msl
  5. Quick stop in Huron about 80min later to let the ladies use the bathroom
  6. Since we'll be flying lower to avoid westerly winds, will need to climb up along this leg as terrain will come up another 3000ft or so during this part, even more for KCUT and Mt.Rushmore
  7. If we're making really good time, fly by Mt.Rushmore
    1. Still trying to figure this one out. The most I know so far is to stay 2000ft or more above and I think you also have to be a certain X miles away. I think we're supposed to get on with Ellsworth Approach and be very observant for local Heli-Tours and other similar sighting seeing planes. I saw their frequency once someplace (???) so we could monitor that along with approach to be as safe as possible.
  8. Then either land at KRAP or KCUT ?????
    1. KRAP seems better as its lower altitude, better access to rental car, etc. Be especially vigilant to not land at Ellsworth!!! We'd like the plane in the hangar overnight if it will be cold so not sure if this is possible there?
    2. KCUT: Sounds like the FBO operator is really good. We would need a car so not sure if they can arrange that? That runway is like 5600msl. Obviously one concern is leaning for density altitude. However our plan is to go soon (ie when its cooler) so not sure how much of an issue this will be in the 182 in March or April.
  9. Pick up the car
  10. Check in hotel. Swim in a pool with the kiddo :) See Mt.Rushmore at night!
See the Sights (2 Full Days - But will cut short if it excess winds, ceilings or precip)
  1. Open to recommedations!!!!
Return Day:
  1. Check TAF's, call briefer - make sure wx is good to go.
  2. Check out, drop off the car, add oil for X/C.
  3. Depart KRAP or KCUT - Perhaps fly at 9500 going east if the winds are good.
    1. We do keep a pulse oximeter and few cans of O2 in the plane but should not need it at 9500 but we would take our readings to see/learn.
  4. Try for more than halfway, stop at Mavericks in Sioux Falls (KFSD) for fuel and food.
  5. Last leg back home about 90min
  6. Might do another 30min of hood time on this leg as well.
  7. Could do this entire flight in 1 hop of winds are good and people bladders hold up.

Is all of this safe, practical, doable?
I have flown into KRAP a few times. Seems approach’s controller is a new Air Force trainee frequently and have had them make mistakes. The free tie down and self serve are quit a bit cheaper than West Jet. If you do use West Jet don’t plan on getting the cheaper self serve gas as they get their nose out of joint over it. Don’t think you need to be convinced you will need a hangar this is not the stormy season. I tie my 210 down when I am there and save money on fuel, early October is my favorite time to fly there. Trees are turning and the Black Hills are great. In addition to seeing the faces plan on the scenic drive through the needles. You will likely see buffalo, elk and mule deer. Definitely visit the Lead/Deadwood area, much better than the trinket shops below Mt Rushmore. Deadwood has history and mixes a somewhat Las Vegas theme with good restaurants and bars. If you visit the Calamity Jane & Hitchcock graves do so late in the day as the deer come into the graveyard to eat on the green grass. This should still be considered the “off” season and motels will be half price. There is a laser light show in the evenings at the Crazy Horse site but don’t expect much as far as the Crazy Horse mountain carving, long way from done and you have to use your imagination. The Bear Country is fun for the kids, The Cosmos is worth stopping at & Pirates Cove for miniature golf is a hit. I have never been to Reptile gardens but it draws a big crowd, may not be open yet? I have been to Custer but never flown in there, don’t think I would get excited about flying past the faces, better to see the museum and associated sites there I think. There are also a half dozen underground caverns with stalagmites & stalactites to tour, I have only been to one but it was ok. You will enjoy the trip!

there is an active paleontology dig site there, think about 30 mins drive from KRAP, if you are into that sort of thing... its in my wish list items

Also, the Badlands and Devils Tower are spectacular. Right idea to do Rushmore at night. We stayed at Spearfish (SPF) and they were extremely accommodating & got us a great rental pickup truck.

Always keep a divert in your back pocket, and don’t be afraid to use it. The same with coming back, if necessary, hole up & rent a car, whatever.

Much of the time there is a part of the day with flyable VFR weather. It may not be at your intended departure hour, hawk the weather. If need, bite off X amount of miles. This time of the year I would have no, or minimal reservations.

Mamoth Dig is in Hot Springs.

Best cave is Jewel Cave just west of Custer.

Wildlife loop in Custer State Park as well as the Needles are both worth the drive.

If you like to fish, there are a number of lakes that have nice trout in them all over the Hills.

Rapid Fuel (self serve) and L&D FBO are great folks and friendly service.

Custer is a nice airport but call ahead to arrange a rental car if you intend to stop there. It’s a few miles south of town.

Custer State Park is also a nice small airport and the Game Lodge used to come pick you up there if you called and arranged ahead of time. Not sure if they still do.

Aircraft museum at Ellsworth AFB and minuteman missile museum in the launch controller center out past Wall.

Spearfish Canyon is a pretty drive.

Last edited:
Is it about the flight? Or is it about the destination? If destination you may look into commercial air schedules and stuff like that just in case Mother Nature ain't co-operative

I have flown to KRAP several times. It’s best to talk to Ellsworth Approach. That way you are good to go through the Ellsworth class D airspace if it’s in your way and you will get handed off to Rapid City Tower, typically after you confirm you have both fields in sight. Expect some bumps down low due to winds over the foothills.

I had good luck with West Jet getting me a rental car. Actually it was a full size pickup. I called the FBO just before I left from KBIS, about two hours before I was driving down the hill in Rapid City. Fuel prices are higher but they are mostly friendly people.

One tip: I always put a reminder in my iPhone for an hour or so before the hote cancellation deadline. It says “Cancel reservations directly with Marriott (or through Orbitz), 800-whatever, conf. 12345” Don’t be afraid to reserve a hotel with a good cancellation policy as long as you have a reminder to cancel it. Note that my default position is to cancel, just like you should plan to go around on every landing and make landing your backup plan if everything looks good as you flare. You could make that part of your night before checklist: 90 minutes before hotel cancellation, call for briefing. If you have to think about it after the briefing, call the hotel and cancel. Otherwise, call the hotel and say you may cancel in the morning due to weather and you will be in touch. Just in case they give you some leeway on the policy.

I haven’t flown past Rushmore. I have done the helicopter tour twice. Both times were to impress someone else. Go to Rushmore on the ground instead.

Depending on season and your kid’s age, there are a ton of things to do in and around Rapid. I second all that was said about Deadwood, home to my favorite bar in all the world but also home to kid things like panning for gold. There are numerous caves to explore, but beware the signs that say “Wonderful Wonderland Cave, next left!” It’s the next left and then 900 miles of signs saying it’s “just ahead.”

Bring some survival gear. You will be flying over a virtual desert except with fewer people. It’s a stark beauty and you are sure to have a great trip if you go.

What a prescient post! I'm out of KSGS and my son wants to do a boy scout trip to the black hills this summer. I was just thinking about how I could avoid the long drive.
I have done the drive twice and we stayed at the cabins at Custer's gulch campground. Custer seems to be a little more central to all of the outdoor sites. Jewell cave is pretty amazing, but a bit of a drive from custer. Ellsworth has a really nice aviation museum; worth the visit.

Ellsworth has a really nice aviation museum; worth the visit.
This is a giant understatement, actually. Definitely check that out. Even if it's closed, the outdoor grounds have some incredible planes on display.

I haven't seen any posts that say, "Don't go". That's good. Weather permitting this sounds great. The only thing I would suggest is that you file a flight plan, open it when you take off and get FF. I know our club requires a flight plan when going more than 100 nm from the home drome. And you are definitely going more than 100 nm from home.

Bottom line - I hope the weather cooperates. Sounds like fun!

Frankly, probably a bit nervous. Her last X/C was VFR in a Aeronca Chief out to Indiana or Ohio about 15yrs ago. No tablets. No electrical. And A handheld. She friggin' rocks at trimming the plane to perfection, pilotage and nasty crosswind landings!!! (that is envy there BTW).

Not much has changed in the last 15 years. Maybe airspace classification? Other than that the rules are about the same. This is going to be fun family trip! I flew by and circled Mt. Rushmore about 38 years ago with my father on the way to Oshkosh in a Super Cub. He got us there and back OK with a whiskey compass and a sectional, so you'll do fine. Be sure to post some pictures!

Last edited:
What a prescient post! I'm out of KSGS and my son wants to do a boy scout trip to the black hills this summer. I was just thinking about how I could avoid the long drive.
I have done the drive twice and we stayed at the cabins at Custer's gulch campground. Custer seems to be a little more central to all of the outdoor sites. Jewell cave is pretty amazing, but a bit of a drive from custer. Ellsworth has a really nice aviation museum; worth the visit.

Jewell Cave is only 13 miles west of Custer - 20 minute drive. Did you mean from Rapid?

Does your wife have a current medical?
Yes to medical and flight review. She's not night current (cold winter nights don't make that too appealing) and not instrument current.

Wow, I want to thank everyone so far for the awesome advice both on flying there and visiting there!!!

This trip is about the flying for my wife and I who have each been to the Black Hills area once and have seen some of the suggestions. This trip is also about our daughter who's never been out that way or seen a Bison or Elk or these caves. We'd like to do something neat for her on her spring break. Her longest flight has been 90min. If we can't go all the way we might do a single overnight a bit closer (<200nm), get a hotel with a pool and swim :)

I asked my wife what odds she gives on this trip working out next week. She said 50%. I estimated 30%. Hmmm??? I have more a flexible work schedule. But my wife only has 3 days of vacation to spare right now. If we can't get out on a weekend or return on a weekend it ain't gonna happen. As of now a departure on Saturday already looks questionable. So that right there is a classic recipe for GA letdown. For us, our next opportunity is May sometime so even if we abort now this thread is incredibly useful. Now May would be nicer in that Jewel Cave is open then and we'd be more into spring. Of course it will also be into T-Storm wx.

Right now I've been learning all the alternates and TAF's along the way. Looking at the long term NOAA WX, the lows are now warm enough there that I wouldn't need the tannis to start it (nice!) so we wouldn't need a hangar or plug in (I bring the cord!).

I'm also verifying that a car and hotel will be available (yes, its off season) so that I can actually book it when we land. I know if I make any reservation at all we'll get zinged and I don't want even a hint of that in my brain while make the go/no-go decision.

So we've scratched Custer off the list for landing. Mainly because we don't want to commit to a car rental being delivered down there prior to us leaving. And we have a slight reservation about Custer being at 5600msl and we're so used to full mixture rich takeoffs back here at 1000msl.

We've decided to do both FF and a VFR Flight plan. There are only a couple ADSB GBT's in SD but I think we'll be able to get Wx out on the western half with a pair of transmitters in the central part of the state. The other one is at our destination. It is nice to see the METAR's up head for ceilings and winds.

So we've scratched Custer off the list for landing. Mainly because we don't want to commit to a car rental being delivered down there prior to us leaving. And we have a slight reservation about Custer being at 5600msl and we're so used to full mixture rich takeoffs back here at 1000msl.
Probably a good call, then. Also, RWY 26 (common prevailing winds) is a 1.3% upslope. Doesn't sound like much but looks like a ski jump from the bottom.

About ADSB coverage in SD Brad, there aren’t much and center will lose u on radar even at 6500. I have only been to KABR twice and did don’t get coverage half the time. Don’t know the coverage on your route though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a good call, then. Also, RWY 26 (common prevailing winds) is a 1.3% upslope. Doesn't sound like much but looks like a ski jump from the bottom.
The instructor I finished up with had me land on a kinda-short sloped runway (but probably not the grade you indicated). When the runway was clear I had this feeling I needed to land short (going downhill). About 2 weeks later he put me there again and pulled the power on downwind. But the runway was 100% covered in snow. I managed the power off 180 :) But about 200agl I said "Man we'll slide right off the end of this m'fer" he replied "Damn right, GO AROUND!"

Okay, so another good nugget learned regarding the runway at KCUT. I was so worried about elevation and density altitude that I didn't notice the upslope in the AFD entry!

About ADSB coverage in SD Brad, there aren’t much and center will lose u on radar even at 6500. I have only been to KABR twice and did don’t get coverage half the time. Don’t know the coverage on your route though

Yeah, I pretty much suspected we'd loose FF at some point in the middle hence now we will absolutely file a VFR flight plan - why did I even think it was optional...duh?

The ADSB for wx could prove interesting. With that pair of GBT's right in the middle of the state and about 60 miles noth of the the planned track, we should get some wx. We can always call FSS as well.

MN to KRAP is mostly flat, easy route. Keep it daylight for that added safety factor. Of course the biggie is the weather for the time you plan. If need be, hole up & drive home.

Last edited:
Purd near exactly the same distance as it was for me from ONZ (Grosse Ile) to 6Y9 (Sidnaw) (See, both the identifier and city - not that most of you will recognize both cities...) But I didn't have no hot rod 182 - just a rag and tube LSA - 16 gallons of gas, about 80 knots when I pedal real hard. If faced with headwinds, about 500 AGL is usually the altitude of choice. Should be easy in a big airplane.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why waiting on checking the weather?

I don’t know anything about the OP other than this sounds like a good time and somewhere unfamiliar.

No harm getting familiar with enroute/destination wx patterns well before T-1 day.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why waiting on checking the weather?

I don’t know anything about the OP other than this sounds like a good time and somewhere unfamiliar.

No harm getting familiar with enroute/destination wx patterns well before T-1 day.
oh I've been checking the Wx everyday, right now looking at long range forecasts plus TAFS each day get familiar. Right now the forecast at our home base thru our entire departure window (3 days) is showing good chance of precipitation snow or freezing rain :(

As to checking at T-1, basically just giving myself an out right up until we leave. Something anyone would do.

Spring is a terrible season. Nothing but unpredictable weather and muddy dog paws. We're all rooting for you, though. It'll be a good trip when you do make it.

Spring is a terrible season. Nothing but unpredictable weather and muddy dog paws. We're all rooting for you, though. It'll be a good trip when you do make it.

In the last 8 weeks I’ve cancelled 4 trips and made 4 trips from Denver to Rapid due to weather either here or there or both ...

Sounds like a great trip! I hope the weather cooperates with you. We are planning on going through that area last week in July on our way up to Glendive, Montana. We've been through the Black Hills and Rapid City many times on the Harley, but this will be our first in the plane. Good luck and stay safe. Oh,,,,go get that instrument ticket! ;-)

It doesn’t look good this weekend. there is a storm system developing in the region with wintry mix

Back