Interesting way to propose on a Cessna?

Just hypothetically speaking.

Hmmmm.... I'm afraid greater precision will be necessary.

A hypothetical woman?

A woman who is hypothetically angry?

An angry woman who is hypothetically rejecting you?

Or are the 88 gallons hypothetical?

:)

As Father Dempsey said in our senior year marriage class (a priest teaching marriage class...think about that one...):

"Most marriages fail because the man goes into it hoping the woman doesn't change and the woman goes into it hoping the man does. And, in this case, both will be gravely disappointed."
Oh that’s so true!

I took my girlfriend on a flying date to the Wright memorial. Proposed to her at the third flight marker. Celebrating our 19th anniversary this summer.
Is she still your girlfriend or did you make her your wife after all of those years? ;)

Hmmmm.... I'm afraid greater precision will be necessary.

A hypothetical woman?

A woman who is hypothetically angry?

An angry woman who is hypothetically rejecting you?

Or are the 88 gallons hypothetical?

:)
Well the woman doesn’t exist... probably couldn’t afford 88 gallons if she did. Plane proposals are too cliche anyway.

I pulled a prank on my at the time future wife.

In Manila, I went to plug in my future wife cell phone charger into the outlet. The outlets were at the same height as light switches. I acted like I was being electrocuted, and my future wife stood there flapping her hands and going, "oh, oh, oh, oh...."

I stopped, and she flung herself into my arms, face buried in my chest. She said, "You scared me", I said, I'm sorry". She said, "Don't do that again", I said, "I won't". She looked up at me, tears in her eyes and said in a very tiny, quiet voice she said, "I hate you".

That was the closest thing to a proposal as we got, I guess. Coming up 8 years.

I dunno about that, but I know an interesting way to porpoise in Cessna

She became my wife in 1999 but is still my girlfriend...

pzv5j7l.jpg

Don't. Do. It.

Seriously, it's about her, not about you. I put flying proposals up there with Jumbotron proposals. Unless she is a pilot too, and flying is special to both of you, use the airplane to fly to somewhere special, pop the question, and then fly home. Much more memorable for everyone, and you still get to fly.

My wife would beg to differ. I proposed while in the 172 flying us to a “fly-in brunch”. I told her beforehand that the route would take us directly over her father’s lake house. I had placed a red tarp on the roof of his dock with the question on it in white letters. She thought we were just doing a quick fly-by to wave at him.

I got in all on video. We then landed at a nearby airport where my parents were waiting to pick us up.

Wife still brags about it. Women get proposed to at restaurants and such all the time. Few get proposed to in a private aircraft. It can certainly be memorable if enough thought is put into it.

20140704_095908_zpsnafz7hns.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, it's about her, not about you.

I completely agree. Even though both Austin and I fly, I am very happy he didn't propose with anything aviation related. He started flying well before he met me, so that was something not unique to our relationship. He proposed in a way that was very specific to our relationship which made it seem way more special and genuine.

If proposing in a Cessna would make her feel special and on top of the world, then do it. But if it's just because you love flying and she could care less, I'd rethink it.

A friend of mine got married at the race track. Right before the race in the infield, on the loud speakers so the fans knew what was going on. Then he took off the tux, put on the fire suit, got in the race car and raced. And of course we marked up his race car, just married.

He even won the race. But the honey moon had to wait until after the race...

A friend of mine got married at the race track. Right before the race in the infield, on the loud speakers so the fans knew what was going on. Then he took off the tux, put on the fire suit, got in the race car and raced. And of course we marked up his race car, just married.

He even won the race. But the honey moon had to wait until after the race...

A friend of mine proposed at the racetrack. An SCCA regional weekend. His girlfriend had recently started racing and was sharing his car. He raced national events and she raced regional ones.

She came back to the paddock after a race in which quite a bit of metal-to-metal contact had occurred. My friend walked around his banged up car a few times, surveying the damage and silently shaking his head. Finally he looked at her and said, "Would you marry me? Because you're getting to be a really expensive date!"

Search the posts here. There are two I recall. In one, there's a video of a guy who turned on breadcrumbs on his ipad and handed it to his g/f and then proceeded to fly a "will you marry me" route. A little cheesy b/c it is hard to fly in legible cursive, so he had to help her read it, but she said yes.

The other is audio of an Air Canada flight after it arrived at the gate. I forget if the proposer was cockpit crew or ATC, but as I recall they piped Vancouver Ground into the cabin, so the whole plane heard it and cheered when she said yes. Some of my details may be a little off, eh. But brought a tear to my eye.

I have no recommendation one way or the other on if you SHOULD do it. Both sides make good points.

Y'know, if she says "No" you'll probably have a helluva time getting her to pay for her half of the avgas....

Back