Interesting way to propose on a Cessna?

Christopher

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Christopher
Any interesting/creative ways to propose to someone in a Cessna ?

He ripped that off verbatim...unoriginal...

I proposed to my wife in a 172. Here in Kansas City, one of our major outdoor shopping/dining areas (the Plaza) puts up a lot of Christmas lights every year outlining all of the buildings, it's kind of a local "thing." Because of that, many of the local airports/flight schools offer Plaza Light Flights during the holidays. I flew a lot of those when I was working at a flight school back in high school and college. When I proposed to my wife, I suggested that I take her and 2 of her friends up on a Plaza flight. Before the flight, a good friend helped me write "Marry Me" in christmas lights on my parent's roof. We took off, did the Plaza thing, and on the way back to the airport, a slight detour and a "hey, look at those lights down there...no...the other lights..." took care of it.

We got married in our 172. Preacher and my step-son in the back seat...over one of the local lakes. It's worked well so far. ....and before you ask, she was left seat :)

Jim

This may not be doable (or even legal), but If you're flying out of an uncontrolled airport with an ATIS, maybe the airport manager could temporarily add your proposal to a "NOTAM" at the end of the automated message. Go fly around, then tune into the ATIS to "catch the weather" while you're up.

This may not be doable (or even legal), but If you're flying out of an uncontrolled airport with an ATIS, maybe the airport manager could temporarily add your proposal to a "NOTAM" at the end of the automated message. Go fly around, then tune into the ATIS to "catch the weather" while you're up.

That's a cool idea.

Have her help with the checklists and slip an extra item into one of them?

Lots of people are uncomfortable with the headset and radio chatter, maybe land somewhere cool and get out and do it there?

My tower supervisor did something similar once on the ATIS for the early morning "weather ship", a T38 that would have a look at the MOAs for weather conditions before sending students up. He made the usual ATIS and then added "should you decide to take this mission advise you have alpha", something like that. The IPs in the T38 liked it. :)

If not ATIS, you might get a controller to help you out, or tune to a different frequency and get a buddy on Unicom to help:

"Cessna 123XY, enter left downwind for runway 23, cleared to land 23, contact ground 121.725. Cleared to marry copilot."​

You know how to get a girl to stop flying with you? Marry her!

Any interesting/creative ways to propose to someone in a Cessna ?

Don't. Do. It.

Seriously, it's about her, not about you. I put flying proposals up there with Jumbotron proposals. Unless she is a pilot too, and flying is special to both of you, use the airplane to fly to somewhere special, pop the question, and then fly home. Much more memorable for everyone, and you still get to fly.

Cool idea.

Don't. Do. It.

Seriously, it's about her, not about you. I put flying proposals up there with Jumbotron proposals. Unless she is a pilot too, and flying is special to both of you, use the airplane to fly to somewhere special, pop the question, and then fly home. Much more memorable for everyone, and you still get to fly.

Disagree. Proposing in the plane establishes a nice connection between airplanes and the marriage. That connection can later be used to gain approval for the purchase and operation of your own airplane (or multiple airplanes). Ask me how I know...

I don’t get it..? :dunno:

As Father Dempsey said in our senior year marriage class (a priest teaching marriage class...think about that one...):

"Most marriages fail because the man goes into it hoping the woman doesn't change and the woman goes into it hoping the man does. And, in this case, both will be gravely disappointed."

Don't. Do. It.

And if she says no, leave her behind. :D

If she says "I'll let you know after we land" it's probably a no.

Back