What will my AME need after my post-injury blood clot?

• Thread starter Otherwise Healthy Pilot
  • Start date
O

Otherwise Healthy Pilot

I had an injury (tore a muscle) and was bed-ridden with ice packs and pain medication.
After a week, I experienced new symptoms and they turned out to be caused by a blood clot at the point of injury.
I went on Xarelto and the clot cleared up successfully in a few weeks but the doctor kept me on the meds for 3 full months. I finished the Xarelto so my PT/INR should be back to normal within days.
Logically, I self grounded for those 3 months (it was winter so no good weather to fly anyway).

I will need to report it, of course, for my 2nd class medical exam later this year.

My question (to Dr. Bruce or any other smart doctors or AMEs here) is:
what paperwork do I need to bring with me to the medical?

I do have a silly note from the hematologist that I stopped Xarelto but will I need a blood test to show PT/INR at normal levels?

Thank you in advance for any useful answers.

Did you have the torn Achilles tendon repaired? If so you need the op note and a clearance note from the orthopedist.

You will also need:
Doppler study report, that made the diagnosis.
Followup letter from the doc managing you who discontinued your Xarelto, describing the clot, that it is your first one on that side, the distribution of same (no Pulmonary Embolus), the treatment, that you were discontinued when you had no further clinical evidence of clot and that your exam is now normal with respect to clot. You need nothing further but nothing less.

Was Achilles tendon just a guess, or is that the only thing that can lead to this?

I was thinking the same injury before I finished reading the first sentence. Common injury that can lead to lots of laying around and potential blood clots.

Was going to post a new thread, but found this one.

I am currently being treated for a Portal Vein Thrombosis where a clot is lodged in the vein going through my liver. I am currently on Heparin immediately following the diagnosis. Is there anything I should know moving forward? Is Xarelto preferred over, say, Eliquis? I think I understand the reports I will need. Is it just best to confer with my AME?

Portal vein thrombosis usually is associated with a bunch of bad stuff that the FAA wants to know you don't have. Xarelto or one of its cousins is NOT the problem here. What is the problem is the underlying cause......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back