Idling a IO-520D for a hour

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys,

So got a question, I'm picking up a portable SP300 sonar, I'm mostly looking to use it on boats, but I'd also like to use it to map some lakes and rivers with my plane, basically land, shutdown, stick the sounder on the back and fire up and map.

https://www.navstore.com/vexilar-sp300-sonarphone-t-box-portable-installation-pack.html
IMG_1768.jpg

I'll be using the Navionics app to make some countour maps.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/sonarchart-live

So if I am putting around at <12kts for 40+ minutes, would there be any drawbacks to running at that low of a power setting?

make sure you have enough air over the cylinders....so they don't over heat. Keep the CHTs below 380 is the best.

I don't get it? Stick it on the back of what? Why even put on an airplane is my question? Obviously not flying it...below 12 knots?

How much of a headwind?

I'd be worried about it over heating. What is it, a $45,000 engine? I wouldn't do it to it. Get a raft an a trolling motor, anchor or beach the plane.

Do you have a 6 point monitor? I had reason to ground run my plane for about 25 minutes in the tie down and was surprised how cool the CHTs stayed throughout the run. The ground run overheat stories didn't prove to be true for me.

Where you gonna attach the transducer? The water rudders will be a problem.

Do you have a 6 point monitor? I had reason to ground run my plane for about 25 minutes in the tie down and was surprised how cool the CHTs stayed throughout the run. The ground run overheat stories didn't prove to be true for me.
+1 O-470 anyway... Spent like 25 minutes circling around the compass rose with the avionics guy and my new compass. Didn't have any heating issues.

Funny story. My home field is located by a local flight school where they train many foreign students. One day I drive up and see this plane idling by the office. After talking to a friend for about an hour I look over and see the same plane there still idling. Hmmm, I decide to go over and take a look. When I drive next to the plane I see this guy with his head down, is he dead or something, no he waves at me and I drive away. About 10 minutes later he takes off and heads back to his school, guess he was doing a cross country:) Apparently he didn't lean it when he was there for over an hour because it was running a little rough on takeoff.

Back