A320 “touch and go “ and dual engine loss

I’ll take “If It ain’t Boeing, I Ain’t Going” for $1000, Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engines hit the ground during touch and go? I think this one lies squarely in the operator error area.

Damage to undercarriage doors and engines...sounds like they retracted the gear prematurely. Only way they would have hit the doors.

Also the only way they could have hit both engines on the ground.

Positive rate of climb first. Then retract the gear. Got it, we'll try it that way the next time.

Maybe landing on one main first, hitting the engine on that side and then slamming down on the other main to hit the other?

Also the only way they could have hit both engines on the ground.

Positive rate of climb first. Then retract the gear. Got it, we'll try it that way the next time.

I suspect they won’t get to try it again. :)

A video of the final landing roll out.

ASN Report.

Aviation Herald article.

Looks like they hit some lights (one appears to be imbedded on bottom of fuselage) which likely caused the damage to the engines and fuselage. Not sure if that was from the initial bounce on the touch and go or on the final landing. RAT was deployed. The reports say that it wouldn't respond to control inputs on the touch and go so maybe elac issues or summing of opposite control inputs? I don't know the bus systems well enough to offer a real good theory. The one engine fan does not look to be damaged so it is hard to say what caused the engine outs if that did indeed happen. I'm sure the DFDR will be helpful in putting the pieces together. Will be interesting to find out.

I’ll take “If It ain’t Boeing, I Ain’t Going” for $1000, Alex

I worked as a mechanic on Boeing (727, 737, 757, 767, and 777), Airbus (A320 and A319), and even Douglas (DC-10's) - I share your sentiment.

Maybe they didn't clean it up from landing configuration.....stalled on departure....yanked up the flaps for the go around eventually......pure speculation but something is really fishy.

Is it really possible for the aircraft to stop responding to flight control inputs, before it hits anything? It seems that somebody is saying that, in the reports that Skydog linked.

“During final approach to runway 08 at 17:04, the aircraft stopped responding to flight control inputs. Altitude was lost and the aircraft hit the runway. The engines touched the runway and the main landing gear doors broke. The aircraft then managed to gain altitude and the pilots were able to stabilize the aircraft and turn back. Both engines, however, lost power after the turn back to the airport.”

Last edited:
I suspect the Fight deck crew will be shortly seeking employment in other endeavors.

Airbuses can do some weird stuff (like land with the nose gear stuck at 90º).

I would really like to see what, exactly happened. I'm not surprised to see a tire come off the rim. They hit hard enough to smack the engines and break the gear doors they probably blew a tire (and bent the plane). On the final landing, it sounded like they blew two more.

Last edited:
Back