He caught the SOB.

I have a "lying in wait" story

What, hold on. So not only did you put a beat down on a guy after ‘lying in wait’ for the guy, but you actually Set Him Up to enter your home! And you didn’t spend one second in jail. Hmmm, what about that James!? Doesn’t square with your bs opinion does it, hmmmmmm?

What, hold on. So not only did you put a beat down on a guy after ‘lying in wait’ for the guy, but you actually Set Him Up to enter your home! And you didn’t spend one second in jail. Hmmm, what about that James!? Doesn’t square with your bs opinion does it, hmmmmmm?

Bro...it's not my opinion, read the damn link, it's the courts opinion.

And there's a difference with you staying in your home, like where you sleep and where you would normally keep a gun or whatever when a break in occurs, VS sitting with a taser in a aircraft hangar that was just broken into, after stating you think the guy will come back.

You gotta find a better story. That guy straight up murdered those two

Although I would agree putting cops on a pedestal is bad, and also agree that they are like anybody else...but, the problem becomes when you assume that they ARE lazier then anyone else, or all racist or they are getting away with breaking the law more, receiving less punishment when they are caught, etc. The truth doesn't hold out for that opinion either.

Minor nit pick. Grossly negligent cops have no personal liability. Every other private profession requires one to carry professional liability insurance or risk personal bankruptcy.

So yes, less punishment than those they serve for mistakes. We the served pay for those settlements. And that shouldn’t be that way. Conflict of interest for sure. Last thing I want my tax money going to is paying out over $3M for a single hothead Denver cop. And yes, there is one. And yes, he’s cost taxpayers over $3M. And nobody will say in public why he’s still a cop. He needed to be fired at the first million dollar case, not still working on the job at the third.

Minor nit pick. Grossly negligent cops have no personal liability. Every other private profession requires one to carry professional liability insurance or risk personal bankruptcy.

So yes, less punishment than those they serve for mistakes. We the served pay for those settlements. And that shouldn’t be that way. Conflict of interest for sure. Last thing I want my tax money going to is paying out over $3M for a single hothead Denver cop. And yes, there is one. And yes, he’s cost taxpayers over $3M. And nobody will say in public why he’s still a cop. He needed to be fired at the first million dollar case, not still working on the job at the third.
Sounds like your mind is made up too, so I won’t bother you with facts.

Sounds like your mind is made up too, so I won’t bother you with facts.

Show me a law suit where an officer paid $3M in a civil case and I’ll believe you. The facts are quite clear.

Government writes laws to protect law enforcement from personal liability.

Sure you can lose your job, we all can lose our jobs. You won’t lose your house in a gross negligence settlement. Every other risk is the same fiscally until negligence occurs. Then it’s tilted in favor of the officer. (It’s not just officers, it’s numerous government positions, but most government employees don’t carry the ability to ruin a life with an arrest or take one with a bullet.)

Officers also receive a free defense paid for by the taxpayer. That’s not exactly a small benefit these days. Even a simple lawsuit can bankrupt anyone living at the median income level or lower quite easily.

Anyone else who’s a professional — if not working for a willing corporation who’ll retain them after a legitimate gross negligence claim is filed, and most won’t — is paying for their own attorney’s fees for the many years such a suit runs. $$$$$$

These are just the facts. No reason to be upset about it. You’re on the taxpayer money paid side of it.

I’ve said for decades that cops should be paid about twice what they are, maybe more, and have mandatory legal degrees or certifications so bubbas can’t play law, and be considered professionals in law.

They also then get the protections of the State including funded lawyers stripped from them, and carry malpractice or liability coverage like any other professional.

Plenty willing to see police treated as the professionals carrying deadly force that they are.

Nobody will do it. Society likes that massive price increases in salary aren’t needed, and we can still hire high school graduates who can’t even hold a simple conversation about the Constitution, and save all that money for the lawyers... in the current setup.

Meaning, we get what we hire, and often that’s not very good. Especially rural. All very department dependent.

Show me a law suit where an officer paid $3M in a civil case and I’ll believe you. The facts are quite clear.

Government writes laws to protect law enforcement from personal liability.

Sure you can lose your job, we all can lose our jobs. You won’t lose your house in a gross negligence settlement. Every other risk is the same fiscally until negligence occurs. Then it’s tilted in favor of the officer. (It’s not just officers, it’s numerous government positions, but most government employees don’t carry the ability to ruin a life with an arrest or take one with a bullet.)

Officers also receive a free defense paid for by the taxpayer. That’s not exactly a small benefit these days. Even a simple lawsuit can bankrupt anyone living at the median income level or lower quite easily.

Anyone else who’s a professional — if not working for a willing corporation who’ll retain them after a legitimate gross negligence claim is filed, and most won’t — is paying for their own attorney’s fees for the many years such a suit runs. $$$$$$

These are just the facts. No reason to be upset about it. You’re on the taxpayer money paid side of it.

I’ve said for decades that cops should be paid about twice what they are, maybe more, and have mandatory legal degrees or certifications so bubbas can’t play law, and be considered professionals in law.

They also then get the protections of the State including funded lawyers stripped from them, and carry malpractice or liability coverage like any other professional.

Plenty willing to see police treated as the professionals carrying deadly force that they are.

Nobody will do it. Society likes that massive price increases in salary aren’t needed, and we can still hire high school graduates who can’t even hold a simple conversation about the Constitution, and save all that money for the lawyers... in the current setup.

Meaning, we get what we hire, and often that’s not very good. Especially rural. All very department dependent.
An officer absolutely can be sued personally...they just don't normally because that's not the deep pocket. I know this for a fact because I have been sued twice, and on one I was named personally. Yes, I do get free defense (as long as I'm still employed, which means the internal investigation over the lawsuit situation was in my favor). Perhaps its not the same in all states, but here, yes...so check your facts.

An officer absolutely can be sued personally...they just don't normally because that's not the deep pocket. I know this for a fact because I have been sued twice, and on one I was named personally. Yes, I do get free defense (as long as I'm still employed, which means the internal investigation over the lawsuit situation was in my favor). Perhaps its not the same in all states, but here, yes...so check your facts.

Still won’t find any employer paying out $3M of someone else’s money to retain any employee unless they’re the business owner. (Or they can blackmail one. Haha.) Not a chance in hell.

You gotta find a better story. That guy straight up murdered those two

Agreed. Listen to this (caution: graphic audio) at around the 13:00 mark......

If this is the dude you are basing your argument on, I'm not sure that anyone is still listening to you......

My home is where I and my family can be safe without concern. I have worked hard to create that safe zone. Disturb that and I will react far more than if you simply mess with property. Because it is more than property. Attempt to take that away and I will react appropriately.

Steal my car from a parking lot, and I’ll agree with you. But don’t come into my home and expect me to treat it the same way. Ain’t gonna happen.

This falls into the common sense category for me. I was told by a State Trooper here you have to use your best judgement and be honest about it. Is someone kicking in your door and making you feel you and/or your family is in danger and you need to put an immediate stop to it. Kill them. Even if you shoot them through the door, most judges and juries will look favorably on you. Do you look out the window and see someone breaking into your truck? Call the police. Don't try to tell the police that you had a garage door opener in the truck and were worried they might get into your house, so you killed them. They're probably not going to buy that story.

My hangar was robbed and I may have even had a good idea of who did it. My life wasn't at risk and my family wasn't in danger, so I'll chock it up to a loss and move on. I will also say, I don't expect the police will do anything unless it falls in their laps, but they have priorities. In Austin that would be the mad bomber, anyone breaking into a home, robbing a bank, etc. I'm pretty sure my headsets don't make their radar...

Don't try to tell the police that you had a garage door opener in the truck and were worried they might get into your house, so you killed them. They're probably not going to buy that story.

Sure ya can Jack! Shoot his ass. Just put one in there afterwards, open the garage, then call the police! When they arrive point to opened garage door and say "see?". :popcorn:

If you break into someone's home, death as a consequence should not surprise you.
Agree. I heard a cop use the term, "He gave up power-of-attorney for his life." We were discussing a particular police shooting where the police were initially called over a strong-arm robbery (you probably know which one.) In the case where you commit any crime against another, you're taking a risk that someone may end your life. Doesn't mean you deserve to die for punching a cop for example, but your odds just went up and you started it. Something as simple as a shoplifting can get you shot if the officer thinks you're reaching for a weapon. Again though, you invited the interaction...

I'm not saying what I would do! We have a lot of open farm land out here!
Finally a reasonable reply!
Yes, why involve police who will only make YOU the crook? And imagine if they notify the next of kin (or 20 nexts of kin, tattooed cousins, nephews and other thugs). No thank you.
Jack is right (and is not afraid to say it out loud). Lots of land to get rid of problems.

If this is the dude you are basing your argument on, I'm not sure that anyone is still listening to you......

Damn that audio is nuts...if he hadn’t taken it so far and said all that weird **** he probably would have been fine

I didn't realize we had this many people who couldn't read on here, or just jumped to the most dramatic thing, here's what I'm basing what I said off of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_in_wait

The case I linked to was just the first that came up in google.

But if you want a little double standard, here's a cop talking about becoming sexually aroused by choking people.

If you or I had to defend ourselves, and when asked by police what happened we followed one of the cops around telling him how great it felt to choke the intruder, lawyer fees. Notice how all the non psychopathic police ether don't say anything, or appear uncomfortable even listening to him.

In both counts, it not so much you defending yourself,or even hurting or l killing another to save you or your family, as it is your right to self preservation, where it gets a little gray is when you ether set yourself up to get into the confrontation (laying in wait), or straight get off on it / take it waaaaay too far.

About 1:25 in if you don't want to listen to the media.

Last edited:
Again though, you invited the interaction...

There are circumstances where people haven’t invited any interaction or done anything to have said interaction at all, which have gone bad.

Example: The guy here who’s house was blown up in a ridiculous fashion by a dumbass SWAT team chasing someone who shoplifted. Shoplifter ran from the cops and went into the dude’s house.

SWAT team decided (mostly because they’re a very rich department and had just gotten explosives training for their hut-huts, and had explosives now, oh goodie a new toy!) to blow not one, not two, but four walls off the back of the house, huge sections, to go get ... the shoplifter.

Even better, when the guy went to rebuild his house from the utter mess these morons made, the city the morons worked for had even more morons (rich city, remember) who told him he couldn’t rebuilt it on his lot where it was for 20+ years because the drainage of the lot no longer met current code. So it wouldn’t pass inspection.

He sued in Federal court. Last I heard he had gotten exactly nowhere on the insane amount of money he had to spend to fix his home.

But beyond that “fun” story, how about dumbasses serving “no knock” warrants at the wrong house, even one so stupid they tossed a smoke grenade into a baby crib? At the wrong house.

Or the multiple times those raids or even some idiot cop looking for a suspect in someone’s back yard inside the fence where that turned into shooting the family dog? Or worse.

Or maybe if that’s not enough, how about SWATting? Where some jerk calls the PD anonymously and says you’re a threat and you’re holed up in your house with weapons, when you’re not? Famous ones there include cops breaking into homes of online gamers who’s online opponents hoped they’d be shot or arrested just for fun.

Nope. You don’t have to do a damned thing to get sucked into any of the above stupidity. Especially the stupid war on drugs BS with cops busting down doors at the wrong house.

Blowing up the guy’s house for a Walmart shoplifter is by far the best I’ve seen so far, though. Absolute idiots. And completely protected from being idiots by their department and liability laws.

Not a single one of those idiots or the commander will ever pay a dime for destroying someone’s home. Aww sure, maybe a demotion. Maybe no more detcord to play with. And all they really had to do was just wait outside.

You do have to know the politics in that rich city, though. I’m sure the multimillionaire neighbors wouldn’t want to let the cops sit out front of the house for two or three days with lights and press and commotion until the shoplifter fell asleep after a couple days of piped in super loud sound effects. These people would have complained directly to the Governor on his private cell number.

So the hut-huts blew up the house.

But beyond that “fun” story, how about dumbasses serving “no knock” warrants at the wrong house, even one so stupid they tossed a smoke grenade into a baby crib? At the wrong house.

That was here in Georgia. Stun grenade, if I recall correctly. Complete stupidity on the part of the police.

Here in Atlanta, a grandmother was killed by officers during a no-knock. They tried to cover up by planting weed in her house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

Militarization of the police is a bad thing.

Damn that audio is nuts...if he hadn’t taken it so far and said all that weird **** he probably would have been fine

Yeah, without the recording, it would have been a he said/she said sort of deal, and I bet a lot of juries would have sided with him.....at least to the point where it remained homicide at the most.

Back