Kentucky Dam PoA fly-in... (M34 Apr 26-29) who's coming?

Money grab is all. You knew it would happen sooner or later. "I've been seriously physically harmed by a throwed roll!" :eek:

Money grab is all. You knew it would happen sooner or later. "I've been seriously physically harmed by a throwed roll!" :eek:
Surely not! Why would you ever think such a thing? Oh, and BTW, contrary to earlier posts and the below article this ain't the home of "the throwed roll", no, it's the home of "the throw'd roll!" Y'all keep that straight now will you'ins!

And I thought it was a lady, it wasn't, it was a guy.

Customer sues ‘Throwed Rolls’ restaurant after being hit, injured by roll
August 13, 2015

A well-known Missouri restaurant, known for being the “Home of Throwed Rolls,” may be in some hot water over a guest who allegedly received a roll-related injury.

Lambert’s Cafe, which features dinner rolls being thrown across the room by servers to guests, is being sued.

The suit was filed on Tuesday by Troy Tucker. The customer claims to have “sustained a lacerated cornea with a vitreous detachment and all head, neck, eyes and vision were severely damaged” after being hit by a dinner roll during a visit in September of 2014.

Tucker is seeking $25,000 to cover medical bills and legal fees. The restaurant’s “carelessness and negligence” as the lawsuit alleges has already caused expenses totaling $10,000.

The lawsuit claims that the restaurant should have known about the dangers involved in their signature practice.

Johnny Fugitt, of the River Front Times, points out that Tucker may not have much of a case considering that back in June, Slugger and the Kansas City Royals were deemed to have not been at fault after a thrown hot dog hit a man in the face and tore his retina.

Fugitt said in that case, the “baseball rule” was referenced, and that by voluntarily entering a baseball stadium the victim assumed some responsibility for personal awareness. She points out that “Home of Throwed Rolls” is posted all over, which could mean Lambert’s diners assume they are putting themselves at risk of being hit by a flying roll, upon entering the establishment.

Lambert’s general manager, Jerry Johnson, told KFVS servers never intend to hurt anyone when they throw rolls.

Surely not! Why would you ever think such a thing? Oh, and BTW, contrary to earlier posts and the below article this ain't the home of "the throwed roll", no, it's the home of "the throw'd roll!" Y'all keep that straight now will you'ins!

And I thought it was a lady, it wasn't, it was a guy.

Customer sues ‘Throwed Rolls’ restaurant after being hit, injured by roll
August 13, 2015

A well-known Missouri restaurant, known for being the “Home of Throwed Rolls,” may be in some hot water over a guest who allegedly received a roll-related injury.

Lambert’s Cafe, which features dinner rolls being thrown across the room by servers to guests, is being sued.

The suit was filed on Tuesday by Troy Tucker. The customer claims to have “sustained a lacerated cornea with a vitreous detachment and all head, neck, eyes and vision were severely damaged” after being hit by a dinner roll during a visit in September of 2014.

Tucker is seeking $25,000 to cover medical bills and legal fees. The restaurant’s “carelessness and negligence” as the lawsuit alleges has already caused expenses totaling $10,000.

The lawsuit claims that the restaurant should have known about the dangers involved in their signature practice.

Johnny Fugitt, of the River Front Times, points out that Tucker may not have much of a case considering that back in June, Slugger and the Kansas City Royals were deemed to have not been at fault after a thrown hot dog hit a man in the face and tore his retina.

Fugitt said in that case, the “baseball rule” was referenced, and that by voluntarily entering a baseball stadium the victim assumed some responsibility for personal awareness. She points out that “Home of Throwed Rolls” is posted all over, which could mean Lambert’s diners assume they are putting themselves at risk of being hit by a flying roll, upon entering the establishment.

Lambert’s general manager, Jerry Johnson, told KFVS servers never intend to hurt anyone when they throw rolls.

No, it actually is a lady. In one article I read they thought it was a guy because of the name, but then found out it was a woman. I also researched "vitreous detachment" and this is something caused by a person getting older, not getting hit in the eye with a roll.

"Posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) happens as a normal part of aging. The vitreous gel shrinks and separates from the retina. PVD normally happens over a period of time, and it's something that you won't feel. It happens because the vitreous gel in the middle of your eye begins to change by the time you are 40 or 50."

I need to remind myself to keep my windows and sunroof closed when I pass near Lambert’s whilst driving home from CO on I-70 lest I be bombarded by wayward rolls and suffer some monstrous/horrific injury to my body parts. I suppose I could use a semi as a shield to both self and vehicle from said dough missiles to minimize the possible lawsuit defense of contributory negligence should any injury or vehicle damage occur.

BTW, I’ll not be attending as I’ll be on a Caribbean Cruise to warm up after the ski season.

Cheers

Last edited:
So was the person injured by the roll the target of the roll? I can see if you know they throw rolls and you call for one that you should expect it to come your way and be ready to catch it. But what if it was thrown to someone at another table and the employee threw badly? You should not be expected to be on the defense against being hit by a roll that you did not order.

I mean what did they do, throw her a fastball with a roll? How does a roll detach your retina unless it's coming at you at 80 miles an hour? It's soft. It's a ROLL for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

Might have been a college softball player working a part time job. Have you seen how fast these girls pitch?

Isn't litigation and public safety grand?

Now the signs in the restroom say the employees must wash their hands and the diners must wear these:
glasses.jpg

I need to remind myself to keep my windows and sunroof closed when I pass near Lambert’s whilst driving home from CO on I-70 lest I be bombarded by wayward rolls and suffer some monstrous/horrific injury to my body parts.

Anyone who could throw a roll from Sikeston and hit I-70 should be in the Major League and not be a server at Lambert. :D Even if they could his I-55 that would still be the case.

I asked about tie downs, the mgr said "They should have ropes for up to around 20 planes, so this shouldn’t be an issue" but I'm still bringing my own ropes just to be sure.

I asked about tie downs, the mgr said "They should have ropes for up to around 20 planes, so this shouldn’t be an issue" but I'm still bringing my own ropes just to be sure.

Tie down rings, or cables across the apron?

Yeah, and there was a church group there recently and a lady in the group got hit in the eye with one. Detached her retina IIRC. She sued. As someone here noted at the time, at least she didn't get a yeast infection.

Dayum! Did Randy Johnson take a retirement job at Lamberts? I can't believe one could detach a retina with a thowed roll.

That roll must have been halfway to crouton stage.

I see people writing that they are bringing their own ropes like it is a special effort. I keep a set of tie down ropes in the "trunk organizer" in my cargo area all the time. Do people really load up and empty their planes before and after each flight?

I see people writing that they are bringing their own ropes like it is a special effort. I keep a set of tie down ropes in the "trunk organizer" in my cargo area all the time. Do people really load up and empty their planes before and after each flight?

Those who rent or are in flying clubs have to load and unload several items that owners just leave in their planes.

right, but we're talking ropes here, no?

His question seemed more general in nature than just ropes. But even ropes aren’t kept in most rentals and club planes so if someone wanted to bring them and keep them, they’d have to load and unload.

Just occurred to me that I don't even own a set of tie downs.

But at least my parking brake doesn't work. Probably I should get on that

Last edited:
I was gonna suggest that we get one campsite for a central meeting spot and also an outdoor place to build a fire at night (cause we won't be hanging around the indoor fires for too long...) but it looks like tmyers booked one already, so we can cross that of the list ;) ;)

I don't own a set either. I need to buy the rope/grass tie down kit for future needs probably. I do have a set of chalks in a wing locker. Okay for short term but so far everywhere I've been has either had ropes or room in a hangar...even Gaston's.

I was gonna suggest that we get one campsite for a central meeting spot and also an outdoor place to build a fire at night (cause we won't be hanging around the indoor fires for too long...) but it looks like tmyers booked one already, so we can cross that of the list ;) ;)
Wonder if he's a fan of a bunch of loud drunk people around a fire at 1 am outside his tent...guess we'll find out.

Don't worry about it, ya don't need 'em anyway. What could possibly go wrong?

images

All my tie-down stuff is in a duffle bag, including a small sledge hammer to pound the 18" #4 rebar into the ground. The complete kit likely weighs about 20# so, no, I don't keep it in the plane all the time.

Besides, I'd hate to have that little sledge hammer flying around the cockpit while practicing spins. :)

IMG_7492.JPG I've posted this in the Sun n Fun and Oshkosh threads before, but these are anchors I made with parts from Home Depot for $40.

I will give the misses fair warning of the impending onslaught.

If I pick up the Yankee next week, it will go in for Annual 23 April or I would stop by. Not far from home plate :cool:

Just be sure to placard it as inop. Otherwise your plane is un-airworthy. Unless your parking brake is listed as "required" on the equipment list. In which case, your plane is un-airworthy whether you placard it or not. Or, unless the FAA has some other set of rules that no one can figure out, in which case, your plane is un-airworthy. Best you just not fly it at all.

Bryan, let me know if you need to borrow some straps. I can take my set with me.

So Here is my thought and my thought matters not. Not that we need an agenda but having an agenda flowing in the background gives everyone an "Oh **** I didn't plan for much what should I do" plan.

Friday night make reservations somewhere (I dont know where) for dinner
Saturday night, Make reservations somewhere different.
Some dinner options: (or somebody throw something better out)

Harbor lights Restaurant (at the resort) is probably the best bet for Saturday since it is the most local
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/harbor-lights-restaurant-gilbertsville?start=30

They got 2 mexican joints
https://www.facebook.com/Casa-Laguna-Mexican-Grill-1699354603699696/
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/los-tres-amigos-calvert-city

Saturday (day) I want to fly out to the BBQ joint @Bill Jennings mentioned. How cool to do a fly out to a fly in from a fly in that we flew to?
It will be the "Dam hungover BBQ run". Gives those of us that want to fly an excuse to do so
http://www.moonlite.com

capture-jpg.60942

Saturday day might be more of a break into groups and folks fish, hike, shooting range, golf, titty bar (@eman1200) <-- This place has all of those options and more.
I am going to plan for the BBQ fly out.

So .... anyone please add, modify, throw in advise as I don't know of any of these places.
I also don't know what people's budgets are I assume we are all super rich pilots but I mean they have an arby's and subway too. I know 3 restaurants + Flying this much is $$$$ for sure.

(Also this whole thing ^^ is just incase our wives are reading. We're spending the whole time here right (<-- NSFW)

At any rate, that's kinda what I am thinking just not committed to any particular restaurants except the BBQ flight.

Because I’m lame and don’t have an airplane, I’ll be airlining to BNA and driving in from there. So my rental car will be available to shuffle people around if needed.

Because I’m lame and don’t have an airplane, I’ll be airlining to BNA and driving in from there. So my rental car will be available to shuffle people around if needed.
Interesting maybe some of us chipping and you get a rental van? Just a thought.

Back