KPUB PIREP and fun flight

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Yay. Finally got to do a flight for no other reason at all other than just going somewhere. Ha. No checkrides looming ... on and off for a year. LOL.

Asked Karen if she wanted a burrito at KPUB for lunch. Busted out the airplane keys and looked at weather. Ahhh... snow squalls and a storm coming in around 4 but we’ll be back just before then. Let’s go.

Plan B was... dunno. Land somewhere south and hitch a ride. Whatever. I’m not instrument current.

So we wandered down. Winds started to pick up ahead of the front(s) but Karen has the standard 20 year passenger butt of steel so when I thought it had gotten bumpy enough a new student would be really sick, she just looked over and said, “It’s not that bad.” Heh. Nice.

PUB was a gusty partial crosswind pushing about 20 when we got there. Did a short field and landed at like 20 MPH in the STOL bird. Fun. Taxiied in. Told Flower to toss 20 gallons in. And hit the restaurant.

It was deserted. Sad. Nobody wants to fly in gusty winds. Oh well. Also noticed the new “decor” under the new ownership. Pretty barren. Missed all the model airplanes from the past owners but oh well.

Karen had a burrito smothered in green chili, I tried the “open face” steak sandwich, which actually just arrived on a bun. Waitress was nice and food was nothing better or worse than the old owner days.

Went to pay for the fuel and wind was whipping but straight down the runway for the most part. Gusting 30. Oh well. Knew that was coming. Time to get outta Dodge.

Another short field from A-9 (with that much headwind component there really wasn’t much reason to taxi full length!) and outta there.

11,500 over the top of KCOS going down and 10,500 on the way back. Played with the Garmin both ways pretty much continuously. The more I play, the more I like it. Not sure I want to leave auto-zoom on though. It really doesn’t pick the most useful level of zoom for pretty much, well, anything.

iPad integration with the Flightstream was flawless other than one thing. The newish “Visual” approaches in the GTN don’t push over to the iPad. Interesting. Seems like it could push a waypoint way out from the runway and build a magenta line in the iPad that way that you could go “intercept” but it doesn’t. No biggie. I wasn’t really surprised.

Virga and snow squalls along the Palmer Divide. Yup. Makes sense. Picked the clearest hole that was a number of miles wide and went under. Lots of room to turn around and see-through virga off to the west with the mountains and everything in view. Just knew it’s a butt kicker under the Virga.

Continuous light chop with an occasional moderate bounce. Karen doesn’t even say anything these days unless we find Moderate. Ha. We both go “oof” when a moderate bump rocks the world for a second. Other than that she doesn’t even notice it anymore. I’m more sensitive to it than she is, just because I’m looking around to see if I can get out from under the cloud or whatever is causing the bumps.

But today is just bumpy. Oh well.

Had to descend inside my lovely VFR corridor over Castle Rock just to make darn sure I had VFR cloud clearances there, since it was clear from both listening and watching on the ADS-B that there were three jets being vectored above us in the clouds for the approach into APA. Could also see we’d be between two of them perfectly in the sequence which is nice SA to have. Virga was lowest there and then we could see the airport on north.

Denver Approach was doing their best trying to vector people around the snowstorm to the east with radar. Their view of its location (and on the iPad via NEXRAD) was just wrong. Hahah. But they tried. We all just told ‘em what we actually needed and they accommodated. Love those folks. They tried to point me right into the snow squall at one point... “Ahhh, we see the precip and we’d actually like to come left ten and that’ll work.”

Centennial as we checked in had a jet report a 20 knot loss and issued the LLWS warnings and then asked us if we all copied the PIREP. “Yeah makes sense, it’s squirrelly out here, 79M.”

They also had a mini squall line east of the airport with all virga out of it and that messed with the wind. They gave up trying to update the ATIS and just told everyone checking on that winds were constantly changing and LLWS and announced whatever the meter said for everyone in the conga line on a one mile final.

In the airplane it wasn’t bad. Just changes of ten knots up and down for two miles at the same power setting and pitch. LOL. Normal spring Colorado crud.

Made a longer than usual full flap just letting it land when the wind slacked off and took the high speed off of 35R and taxied in.

Lovely flight really. Bumps notwithstanding. And lunch was the usual PUB “okay”. Karen liked going flying since she hasn’t been up much in the last year or so. Good times.

It’s overcast now and getting ready to snow overnight. Won’t be long before this wintery stuff is thunderstorms instead!

No photos. Just fun.

Last edited:
Heh. The radar makes that look a lot worse than it was. Leeeeeroy Jennnnnkins!

0e07ed94fba0735d70681cb948f094e2.jpg

Nice to enjoy one for a change Nate, glad you and your wife enjoyed the day.

Last edited:
Nice to enjoy one for a change Nate, glad you the wife enjoyed the day.

Yeah it was. Not work. Not checkride prep. Just flying. :) Funny how both landings were nice with no pressure on, too. Haha.

I’ll have to get back in study mode for the -II soonish but a few weeks of “normal life” and going to work and all that in a normal schedule is nice. :)

Met the new neighbors this week who moved in quite some time ago next door. Stuff like that goes slow out here on the prairie. He flies a King Air and she flies a Falcon 50. Haha. Should have walked over and said hi sooner!

He’s rebuilding the fence the old neighbor tore down because it was 8’ over the property line. I said I didn’t care at all and would sign paperwork to that effect but he was paranoid about the sale so he tore it down. Now the King Air guy is putting it back, 8’ over from where it was.

Just a little pasture fence around their out barn. Really makes no difference to us where it is, I just mow up to it with the tractor three times a summer or so.

But he said when he went to tension the fence on the old back post it blew into a million pieces so it was all rotted out anyway.

Anyway the King Air guy goes from here to Kansas a few times a week. He said if I see someone in a King Air 90 go over the house running from a summer thunderstorm (our ridge line breaks the storms in half north/south and is often the only hole between eastern CO and KAPA) it’s probably him. :)

That's cool Nate. Maybe he, or his wife, could use you sometimes as a co-pilot. ;)

That's cool Nate. Maybe he, or his wife, could use you sometimes as a co-pilot. ;)

Doubt it. But hell, stranger things have happened.

Sounds like they both did bizjets for about eight years prior and both of them really like their current gigs.

I learned that another neighbor flies for the Furniture Row NASCAR team back when the Great Road Paving Debate was going on, on NextDoor. Also a good gig. Haven’t met him yet.

We seem to have an over abundance of bizjet flyers out here in the ‘hood. Even @Everskyward lived only a few miles east of here before retirement.

Maybe it’s a thing. Prairie houses and flying corporate gigs? Dunno. Interesting demographics glitch though.

Some of it is probably access to KAPA. It’s about 35 minutes, 40 if you want to guarantee you’ll be on time to something there, from out here, and you don’t have to get on any Interstate highways or any serious traffic for all but maybe a couple miles of it.

Doubt it. But hell, stranger things have happened.

Sounds like they both did bizjets for about eight years prior and both of them really like their current gigs.

I learned that another neighbor flies for the Furniture Row NASCAR team back when the Great Road Paving Debate was going on, on NextDoor. Also a good gig. Haven’t met him yet.

We seem to have an over abundance of bizjet flyers out here in the ‘hood. Even @Everskyward lived only a few miles east of here before retirement.

Maybe it’s a thing. Prairie houses and flying corporate gigs? Dunno. Interesting demographics glitch though.

Some of it is probably access to KAPA. It’s about 35 minutes, 40 if you want to guarantee you’ll be on time to something there, from out here, and you don’t have to get on any Interstate highways or any serious traffic for all but maybe a couple miles of it.
I think there are quite a few pilots out there. My next door neighbor was retired United. My former neighbor in back was retired Continental. I know a few other bizjet pilots out there too.

Gutsiest move I ever saw man.

We went to Shooters in Rifle yesterday, absolutely perfect both ways over Rollins. KEGE controllers were in an interesting mood. We were on tower to monitor and so the call came "VFR traffic to the NE are you on frequency" as we had decided on a self-declared block altitude 10-11000 and were NE that meant us. First they wanted us north of the field, which makes sense we were headed to KRIL but then they asked us to fly over midfield at 10K, which we did. Then he asked us what heading we were planning on flying. As we were crossing over midfield he told the traffic to line up an wait as there was a VFR flight in the departure corridor (after he just put us there). Either way beautiful day and crew car available despite the sky raining biz-jets on KRIL. Something about Aspen had no ramp space left.

I think there are quite a few pilots out there. My next door neighbor was retired United. My former neighbor in back was retired Continental. I know a few other bizjet pilots out there too.

Karen already joked that she’s outnumbered for neighborhood dinner parties now. LOL.

Gutsiest move I ever saw man.

We went to Shooters in Rifle yesterday, absolutely perfect both ways over Rollins. KEGE controllers were in an interesting mood. We were on tower to monitor and so the call came "VFR traffic to the NE are you on frequency" as we had decided on a self-declared block altitude 10-11000 and were NE that meant us. First they wanted us north of the field, which makes sense we were headed to KRIL but then they asked us to fly over midfield at 10K, which we did. Then he asked us what heading we were planning on flying. As we were crossing over midfield he told the traffic to line up an wait as there was a VFR flight in the departure corridor (after he just put us there). Either way beautiful day and crew car available despite the sky raining biz-jets on KRIL. Something about Aspen had no ramp space left.

Yesterday would have been okay up there. Not great but okay.

I’m looking west over the Springs at some seriously gnarly snow squalls, as we went by earlier... you can even see rotor clouds in it around Pikes Peak, which the top is obscured as is the whole valley behind it...

... and some dude asks Springs departure if he’s heard any weather reports in the mountains...

LOL. I look at Karen and say, “****ty?” Hahahaha.

That guy was in for a nasty nasty ride.

Last edited:
I'm 5 nm due north of KAPA, big, huge, fat snowflakes. Dog loves it.

Update 3 hrs later.....still snowing, about 8 inches, I expect a foot by wakeup time.

Last edited:
Snowplow just went by. City is trying to use up the snow removal budget so it won’t get cut next year.

Snowplow just went by. City is trying to use up the snow removal budget so it won’t get cut next year.

Snowplow? I can see them tossing some sand on bridges tonight but plowing? Three inches? LOL.

Of course this probably means tomorrow morning will be a nightmare. Most of this winter, no snow. And people here just forget all about how to drive in it unless we have some all winter.

I think I’m happy I have to work from home tomorrow to take the dog to the vet in the afternoon. Y’all enjoy the highways!

(Edited. Because apparently to Iphone “work from hike” makes more sense than “work from home”. And it tried to change this comment to “work from bike” which makes even less sense. LOL!)

Last edited:
Snowplow? I can see them tossing some sand on bridges tonight but plowing? Three inches? LOL.

Of course this probably means tomorrow morning will be a nightmare. Most of this winter, no snow. And people here just forget all about how to drive in it unless we have some all winter.

I think I’m happy I have to work from hike tomorrow to take the dog to the vet in the afternoon. Y’all enjoy the highways!
Lakewood has been nutzo about snow removal on their designated access streets since I moved here. They push snow before the state gets around to doing the highways which can make commutes weird.

Lakewood has been nutzo about snow removal on their designated access streets since I moved here. They push snow before the state gets around to doing the highways which can make commutes weird.

Ahh Lakewood. That explains a lot. Prettiest and best painted civic vehicles in the metro. :)

Them there Lakewood folks, they got bucks. ;)

Two inches on the deck railing of really large wet flakes now. More like “flake clusters”. Fat ones.

Still 50 in the garage so must not be too cold out there. Battery appears to have failed in the outdoor remote thermometer. Guess I’ll have to change that.

Back