Airport with ILS/no RNAV?

You can't buy a comm radio with all the same features for under $1k. These new comms have stuck mic protection, 8.33 spacing, and all kinds of cool features. For certified aircraft, it makes sense to go with the 650.

Totally agree.

For an exp ac, it is possible to pick up a Garmin GTR20 as my second — that one has a MAP price at $995. Neither of these have 8.33 but I am stateside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I guess I needed to clarify. It is part of a G3X install. They are throwing discounts on bundles for experimental aircraft.

I'd get one then. If you ever wanted to switch to the 650 you may not loose a dime on the 625 or even come out ahead.

Here's the list I came up with searching my database for airports with ILS* and nothing with GPS or RNAV in the procedure name: (No guarantees of accuracy, some are not public, did not hand check these, etc etc)
(Edit, ok, almost all .mil)

KBAD KDMA KDYS KHIF KLRF KLSV KMCC KMIB KMMT KMTC KMUO KMXF KNOG KNQI KNUQ KRCA KSSC KVBG PASY PPG

And the list for VOR* but no GPS, RNAV or ILS
12G 1X1 2J9 2P7 3F9 4I9 56D 8G1 C25 C77 F14 F51 K59 LZD N57 U69

And finally, the list for NDB* but no GPS, RNAV, ILS or VOR:
KPHH PACZ WTK

On some of those, could you shoot the ILS or LOC to get under the muck and then go VFR to a neighboring non .mil airport?

We kept the second Nav/Com for when the GTN craps the bed. Just as an added point of info.

On some of those, could you shoot the ILS or LOC to get under the muck and then go VFR to a neighboring non .mil airport?
Some, sure, others, like KVBG probably not a chance. Although many of them I think are in areas where there would already be an ILS to a public airport nearby.

Or a truck driver with a jammer visiting his girlfriend near the airport.
A few years back KPTK had NOTAMs saying GPS unreliable because of one of these idiots. The ILS and LOC BC were actually more reliable than the LPV approaches for a couple of years. The NOTAMs are gone now, so hopefully they caught the SOB.

When I was at a base as a controller there were pilots who would shoot the ILS and once they broke out, cancel, and scoot over to the grass strip about 5-6 miles NE of the base.

If you have a 430W, there is no advantage in getting a GTN, much less one with less capability than the 430W. While not commom, you can lose GPS even with a WAAS unit. In the last 5 years, my 430W has flagged several times during approaches and downgraded it's accuracy to LNAV a couple of times. You remove the NAV radio, the you've removed options for both navigation and approaches that you won't otherwise have. GPS is great, but we're a solar flare away mayhem if we lose the GPS chain. Go out and fly a few VOR approaches.

I love those unsupported assertions. AOPA did an on-line course called "A practcal approach" that discussed the same issue, even making the same assertion, but there was no data to support the author's asserrtion. After discussing his opinions about non-precision approach, the final conclusion was still that the precision ILS was still the most accident-prone approach. If you want to read is, here is a link: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?b...onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=21;src=postname

Last edited:
Probably the most used approach at JFK!
Probably ranks right up there with the VOR 4R, circle to 31R. (I've done a LOT of sim training at KJFK, compared to the three trips I've ever flown there for real.)

As long as the airlines are still flying around a bunch of equipment that is better set up for an ILS than LPV (as most of their even newer aircraft are), don't expect those to go away at big airports and expect to be defaulted to those.

As long as the airlines are still flying around a bunch of equipment that is better set up for an ILS than LPV (as most of their even newer aircraft are), don't expect those to go away at big airports and expect to be defaulted to those.
LPV won't do CAT II/III or autoland. LPV is for GA. Eventually, GLS will replace ILS for the airlines.

If you are implying that you are willing to give up all VOR/ILS capability to save 2k I think that is a very bad move! No way would I fly in the soup with only GPS.

5c2f9eb3-444c-41c7-8249-18522740ca92.jpg

Those earthlings navigation will be useless once I shoot down all the NDB satellites....

Lol, actually the "enemy" has made a nice calendar for when they are planning on disrupting navigation.

http://navigationservices.agi.com/SatelliteOutageCalendar/SOFCalendar.aspx

Last edited:
Is it possible to manage without the ILS nowadays? Anyone know of airports with only ILS approaches and NO RNAV approaches?

I can’t seem to think of an airport that I have been to in recent years that has an ILS only. RNAV seems to be pervasive.

I was toying with the idea of upgrading my panel including moving my 430W to a GTN unit. The GTN-650 are a bit much, but maybe the GTN-625 is more reasonable — essentially you lose COMM and VOR/ILS NAV. It is half the price of the 650.

VOR approaches — never been given one and never flown one. I don’t fly these.

ILS approaches — I feel like I fly these less often than I used to, preferring LPV and even LNAV/VNAV.

What say you?

The FAA's Minimum Operating Network program, which addresses what happens if the GPS goes dark, emphasizes that pilots must remain proficient in ILS and VOR approach procedures because those ground-based navaids will be all that is left. I fully expect examiners to test applicants on their ability to fly these approaches if the magenta line goes away.

Bob

Back